• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hunter 3/3/17 Thanks

zyk

Hunter 3/3/17

After the utter devastation I witnessed on Wednesday I was amazed to see what the snowmakers had accomplished by today. Most of the bare spots and ice were gone (and the bumps, sadly they mowed them down) and the mainline looked great. Cliff was skiing great with guns running hard all the way down. Not sure of their level of commitment but I did see hosing hanging at the to of Clairs and lower K27 so who knows. Good show on their part anyway.

JimG.

Staff member
Yeah today at Hunter was really good. They did a great job laying down a lot of snow in many areas.

Unfortunately, bump runs like Lower K and Upper Crossover won't be getting any new snow. Both have a bunch of bare spots; I sampled Upper Crossy and it was fairly ugly.

I think I'll hit Hunter again tomorrow and then check out Belleayre Sunday. Hopefully Belle decided to make snow on some bumps.

Shredder of Gnar

Yeah today at Hunter was really good. They did a great job laying down a lot of snow in many areas.

Unfortunately, bump runs like Lower K and Upper Crossover won't be getting any new snow. Both have a bunch of bare spots; I sampled Upper Crossy and it was fairly ugly.

I think I'll hit Hunter again tomorrow and then check out Belleayre Sunday. Hopefully Belle decided to make snow on some bumps.

Tle report I got from a reliable source said that other than some new snow on the lower Tuska bumps for the kiddy mogul mash, it was basically dust on crust everywhere else -- no new snow on any of the upper bump runs is planned according to the head of snowmaking. Huntah will be better than nothing I guess...

JimG.

Staff member
Tle report I got from a reliable source said that other than some new snow on the lower Tuska bumps for the kiddy mogul mash, it was basically dust on crust everywhere else -- no new snow on any of the upper bump runs is planned according to the head of snowmaking. Huntah will be better than nothing I guess...

Hunter was excellent today. Cliff had whales of fresh manmade after getting pounded with snowmaking over night. GREAT bumps there today. They were blasting lower Crossover all day today and nice bumps were forming there late in the day. I'll be back at Hunter tomorrow.

Thanks for the Belle report I'm a little surprised they did not blow a few of the upper mountain bump trails.

Shredder of Gnar

Hunter was excellent today. Cliff had whales of fresh manmade after getting pounded with snowmaking over night. GREAT bumps there today. They were blasting lower Crossover all day today and nice bumps were forming there late in the day. I'll be back at Hunter tomorrow.

Thanks for the Belle report I'm a little surprised they did not blow a few of the upper mountain bump trails.

Soooo glad I went to Hunter today -- even after skiing there 40+ years I could never have imagined it would be as epic as it was today as far as the amount of snow they laid down on so many trails this late in the season. Cliff was a day past its prime, but still awesome. Lower Xover was getting skiied by lotsa good bumpers and had some amazing zippers through the pillow-soft bumps. And I have NEVER seen so much amazing, soft snow on Wayout -- skiers left was off the charts! Back for more tomorrow, b4 yet another round of friggin r#$^ Tuesday! Hoping they leave everything like it is and then groom AFTER the rain which would be the smart thing to do -- lotsa dry snow in those bumps/whales for later in the week...

zyk

Great to hear the positive reports! Plan on being there tomorrow and most other days this week.

JimG.

Staff member
Soooo glad I went to Hunter today -- even after skiing there 40+ years I could never have imagined it would be as epic as it was today as far as the amount of snow they laid down on so many trails this late in the season. Cliff was a day past its prime, but still awesome. Lower Xover was getting skiied by lotsa good bumpers and had some amazing zippers through the pillow-soft bumps. And I have NEVER seen so much amazing, soft snow on Wayout -- skiers left was off the charts! Back for more tomorrow, b4 yet another round of friggin r#$^ Tuesday! Hoping they leave everything like it is and then groom AFTER the rain which would be the smart thing to do -- lotsa dry snow in those bumps/whales for later in the week...

As I suspected Lower Crossover was epic today. And they left Cliff alone and it was great for a second day.

Lower Xover early on:
Hunta1.jpg

I'm spent.

After a great 3 days Fri Sat Sun going for tomorrow PM session 12-4.

Shredder of Gnar

Hope its OK for the weekend.
I hope so too, but with the wet weather followed by another pretty good freeze, and no further mention of snowmaking, I'm afraid we should just be happy that we got the bonus epic days last weekend. And if Ma Nature doesn't decide to kick in soon, buy your spring passes at K cuz the Cats are gonna be done way earlier than usual...