• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski weekend 3/11 - 12 New England

nanjil

Stationary!

Aurora, Jordan, and White Heat lifts are the first to close in wind. If other lifts close it is probably genuinely very windy. Little White Cap, South Ridge, and the Chondola (likely converted to a 6 pack if it's windy) will be the last ones spinning.

Good luck, have fun.

For our part, we were going to go to Sugarbush this weekend, but we're not taking the kids out in these temps. Looks like we'll be at Mardi Gras in Burlington.
There is pro ski racing at barker tomorrow (saturday)

Sent from my SM-G900V using AlpineZone mobile app

Los

I wonder how crowded Cannon will be tomorrow (Sunday) with all the hype it's been getting ... hopefully the cold will keep the crowds away.

WJenness

Just reading this thread and thought I'd check SR

12:30 on Sat:

Update 11:42AM: [FONT=&quot]The Chondola, Quantum Leap Triple, Aurora Quad, Oz Quad, Jordan Double and Jordan Express are all currently on wind hold.
[/FONT]

Los

At Bretton woods now. It's even colder today than last Saturday. I've given BW grief for not making snow during these recent cold spells, but I gotta hand it to them, these mofos know how to groom and use what they got. No ice to speak of anywhere on the groomed trails. Just nicely groomed hardpack. Not ideal but it's pretty darn good considering these insane temperature swings that we've been experiencing and no significant snowfall for several weeks now. I would posit, if you will, that what BW lacks in steepness is measured out by their consistent ability to consistently provide an excellent product.

By the way, this has clearly turned into a Sunday river thread, so I apologize for the intrusion. :)

SkiFanE

Another blustery day at SR Saturday. Will probably sit today out. Already more lifts starting on wind hold today than yesterday, with less wind it- must be wind direction. Went out yesterday 10-2 and conditions were very good (considering) but was cold. Just good steady wind. A warm up every 2-3 runs made it manageable. But I swear I couldn't get the cold out of my bones for hours afterwards. The snow that they got over last few days was blowing around and collecting nicely in frozen bumps - almost refilling between runs. Seems no one wanted to try bumps so snow was pretty much my own. Should be a good day today if you don't mind cold.

medfordmike

At Bretton woods now. It's even colder today than last Saturday. I've given BW grief for not making snow during these recent cold spells, but I gotta hand it to them, these mofos know how to groom and use what they got. No ice to speak of anywhere on the groomed trails. Just nicely groomed hardpack. Not ideal but it's pretty darn good considering these insane temperature swings that we've been experiencing and no significant snowfall for several weeks now. I would posit, if you will, that what BW lacks in steepness is measured out by their consistent ability to consistently provide an excellent product.

By the way, this has clearly turned into a Sunday river thread, so I apologize for the intrusion. :)

If the storm this week delivers do they have anything left to build off in some of the glades or are they down to bare dirt mostly in there?

TheArchitect

Another blustery day at SR Saturday. Will probably sit today out. Already more lifts starting on wind hold today than yesterday, with less wind it- must be wind direction. Went out yesterday 10-2 and conditions were very good (considering) but was cold. Just good steady wind. A warm up every 2-3 runs made it manageable. But I swear I couldn't get the cold out of my bones for hours afterwards. The snow that they got over last few days was blowing around and collecting nicely in frozen bumps - almost refilling between runs. Seems no one wanted to try bumps so snow was pretty much my own. Should be a good day today if you don't mind cold.

Saturday at SR wasn't bad, even with the cold. When I woke up this morning to only 4 lifts open (none to a summit), 2 degrees and -24 wind chill my son and I decided to skip it and drive home. I would have skied in that temp if I had more terrain to chose from.

4aprice

Was at Loon this past weekend. Saturday was the coldest day I have skied since college (early 80's). No gondola cause of wind. Had to get to the summit the old fashioned way via Triple and East Basin Double. It was pretty much 3 runs, in, 3 runs in. Got about 15 for the day. Hands and feet the biggest problem as I was able to keep the core pretty warm, hand warmers helped. Snow was good and since not many people were out and no gondola the T2B cruisers were all ours. Sunday was much more tolerable.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

KustyTheKlown

i hit stratton yesterday. very intentionally sat saturday out for the cold, and got to see joe russo's almost dead in brooklyn friday night. good music and my own bed are a winter rarity, so that was nice. stratton was about what i expected, solid grooming and lots of groomer options to get top to bottom. took the less than ideal conditions as an opportunity to stick with the gf most of the day, and she skied her first two blacks ever. tamarack and standard. she did great and was so happy with herself. this is great for me. as she gets more confident she'll be able to join me on more runs, or at least ride the same chair and meet back at the lift. really makes my life easier, and i love to see her taking to teh sport.

JimG.

Staff member
an opportunity to stick with the gf most of the day, and she skied her first two blacks ever. tamarack and standard. she did great and was so happy with herself. this is great for me. as she gets more confident she'll be able to join me on more runs, or at least ride the same chair and meet back at the lift. really makes my life easier, and i love to see her taking to teh sport.

Be careful, one day you might end up having to stop and eat lunch.

Dickc

Saturday at SR wasn't bad, even with the cold. When I woke up this morning to only 4 lifts open (none to a summit), 2 degrees and -24 wind chill my son and I decided to skip it and drive home. I would have skied in that temp if I had more terrain to chose from.

Saturday was COLD at the River. Sunday was not that bad. I went out about 11 as NP and Chondi opened. Barker soon followed. I could ski 10 runs or so before ducking in to warm. Saturday is was only 4 runs then warm. Monday was much better!