• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

I'm an East Coast snowboarder...ask me anything about West Coast weather or snow cond

shwilly

Hey, man. Is it really true what they say that western skiers get a broken bone if they even look at hardpack?

Also, what's a powder bowl?

ironhippy

Hey, man. Is it really true what they say that western skiers get a broken bone if they even look at hardpack?

When I was out west a couple of seasons ago, I watched what appeared to be a young, attractive woman flying down some bumps. Perfect mogul skiing, really nice form.

I followed her to the next pitch, where she (and a number of other skiers) had stopped suddenly and were looking down the slope perplexed. This made me nervous.

I approached slowly and saw that the next pitch was relatively gentle but was almost completely ice/hard pack. I pointed my skis straight down and turned a few times without an issue, at the bottom I looked back to see the other skiers slowly starting to pick their way down.

East coast conditioning for the win!

Domeskier

I heard that the snow in Utah has a high alcohol content. Is that because of greenhouse warming?

dlague

When I was out west a couple of seasons ago, I watched what appeared to be a young, attractive woman flying down some bumps. Perfect mogul skiing, really nice form.

I followed her to the next pitch, where she (and a number of other skiers) had stopped suddenly and were looking down the slope perplexed. This made me nervous.

I approached slowly and saw that the next pitch was relatively gentle but was almost completely ice/hard pack. I pointed my skis straight down and turned a few times without an issue, at the bottom I looked back to see the other skiers slowly starting to pick their way down.

East coast conditioning for the win!
Had a similar experience at Beaver Creek. A trail had a relatively short headwall but had glassy looking ice and everyone was trying to figure out how to go down it. I looked at my wife son and said "we know what to do, just ski over it!" We just skied it - no problem. East Coast training.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

Last edited:

Puck it

What will the weather be on the front range? It look like it is going to suck and be a blow torch. Snow eating blow torch. Any insight?

Any recommendations on how to ski Summit county?

fcksummer

Website
fck-summer.tumblr.com

Also, what's a powder bowl?

Very true, and verifiable through extensive studies. This odd condition even tends to effect eastern skiers who spend extended time out west. Beware.

Powder bowl is a wide open trail with no character. Not sure what the hype is.

fcksummer

Website
fck-summer.tumblr.com
What will the weather be on the front range? It look like it is going to suck and be a blow torch. Snow eating blow torch. Any insight?

Its looking pretty dire. Not a full strength torch but there is absolutely no snow on the horizon. Definitely a bleak outlook!

My recommendation would be to not ski it right now. Skip Summit and head to Jackson if you can!

dlague

The storm track will stay mostly to our north and east for the next 10 days. Northern Colorado will be brushed by a few storms and each could drop a few inches on Friday night, Sunday, and later next week. Longer range models continue to show more active weather at the end of March and early April … we’ll see.

Well the 3 or so inches already happened in the mountains. More tomorrow according to local forecasts 1-3 and more Sunday.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

prsboogie

How exactly do you FCK summer? Do you wear a thermo-insulated condom?

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

snoseek

If I go to Tahoe next winter will the drought immediately return?