• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Official March '17 Nor'easter Thread

WJenness

Yes, CT names their storms... And uses different names than The Weather Channel.

It's all very dumb.

EDIT: It isn't CT itself, but rather WFSB (Channel 3), who have been doing it since 1971.

It's still dumb.

kingslug

Would be funny if I see people from out west at Stowe. Happened about 10 years ago exact same time when they had crappy conditions. Seems Utah is in Spring mode about 6 weeks early this year.

cdskier

With Friday being St Patricks Day (and "unofficial" holiday for many ;-) :beer: ) , many resorts have cheap lift ticket deals (and plenty of beer specials ;-) ) Add in the fresh snow from this storm, and I'm thinking that it will be far from a typical Friday crowd at many places :-(

Historically Sugarbush only did the cheap St Patrick's Day tickets at ME. At the moment I don't even see it mentioned on their website, but I did see someone mention it on another thread. So I'm not too worried about the discount lift ticket aspect at least. I'm definitely expecting more than a typical Friday crowd, but still hoping it isn't too crazy.

skimagic

Barely, but i have fatter teleboards to play with. Options are imited with the other being Mt Southington. Southie has an annoying sag near the top. Sundown is the place to be but that would be a tough drive on ling long tires.

drjeff

Magic has races there both days as well this coming weekend.

Might be a repeat situation like President's weekend Sunday where they stopped selling tickets because of crowding and those that were doing the casual 10:30/11AM arrival were out of luck - that was a race day as well.

Race's this weekend are on Showoff, so that shouldn't effect access to some of the goods the same way that the Pres Weekend sell out Sunday race day, that had a race on Talisman, did to access for some stuff on the West side did that day....

I don't know....in my town, the psychic shift to spring is setting in. But I guess up in the mountains, skiing is still on everyone's mind.

Hope it isn't utterly mobbed, but you are probably right.

Update,

Just received an e-mail stating that the race that was supposed to be at Magic on Saturday was combined into the race that will be at Magic on Sunday, and that they've opened the race up to more than just the 150 or so kids who usually race in what is known as the Southern VT Council (made up of Magic, Bromley, Stratton, Mount Snow, the Hermitage, and Willard mtn), so that takes some pressure off of Saturday at Magic.

However, since it's looking like a 6-10" storm could very well be in the cards for So VT on Saturday, just plan on getting there early anyway for fresh turns and to eliminate the possibility of not getting a ticket if they sell out again!! :)

Cornhead

Wow. Do they do these in alphabetical order, too? I really hope they've had 18 other named storms this season.
Afraid so, it is pretty lame, but it does make it easy to remember, and look up, past storms. I was at Sugarloaf for "Nemo", the Friday before the AZ summit. 18", it did not suck. It was a storm similar to "Stella", two lows combining off the coast.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using AlpineZone mobile app

dlague

Would be funny if I see people from out west at Stowe. Happened about 10 years ago exact same time when they had crappy conditions. Seems Utah is in Spring mode about 6 weeks early this year.

I know Stowe will get snow, but I would think that any one who travels from out west to New England for this storm will not target something that far north away from the storms track which appears to be more coastal now. I think Killington, Mount Snow or Okemo will fair better and SR and SL should do very well. New Hampshire up to the Notch seems good too! The winds with mess with things a little but the trees will probably be awesome because of the wind.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I know Stowe will get snow, but I would think that any one who travels from out west to New England for this storm will not target something that far north away from the storms track which appears to be more coastal now. I think Killington, Mount Snow or Okemo will fair better and SR and SL should do very well. New Hampshire up to the Notch seems good too! The winds with mess with things a little but the trees will probably be awesome because of the wind.

Stowe has the potential for snow all week. They might not be in the jackpot for this storm, but by Sunday they could very well have the highest weekly total. They also have a very good base to build on. Everything south of there in VT does not.

snoseek

Im off all week and Thursday ill likely end up at jay or smuggs because backside snows.

SkiFanE

Since kiddo is home for college spring break and I had days off to use - figured good time to take off. Well...now I've decided to ski Thursday and Friday - kiddo says it's okay lol, What a kid! What luck of timing for me. Wahoooo :snow::spread:

KustyTheKlown

i have free cancel hotels booked in rutland, lyndon, machester (vt), and near sunday river

my girlfriend is coming which ties us to vt, since she has one 5 pack left to use. we hit all the usual suspects already.

i'm thinking either (1) keep manchester hotel, ski bromley saturday and magic sunday to avoid major crowding. or (2) keep lyndon hotel, ski burke saturday and ? sunday to avoid the crowding

staying away from the killington, okemo, stratton, sugarbush, stowe type places. gonna be a mob scene

then the following weekend i'll get up to maine

the east has risen. it is known.

tnt1234

i have free cancel hotels booked in rutland, lyndon, machester (vt), and near sunday river

my girlfriend is coming which ties us to vt, since she has one 5 pack left to use. we hit all the usual suspects already.

i'm thinking either (1) keep manchester hotel, ski bromley saturday and magic sunday to avoid major crowding. or (2) keep lyndon hotel, ski burke saturday and ? sunday to avoid the crowding

staying away from the killington, okemo, stratton, sugarbush, stowe type places. gonna be a mob scene

then the following weekend i'll get up to maine

the east has risen. it is known.

Yeah, I'm having similar thoughts, but coming from jersey....trying to figure out how to get to plattekill.

kingslug

Plus Stowe and the Bush have some of the best terrain. The front 4 and Castlerock would entertain any of our Western friends

KustyTheKlown

Stowe has the potential for snow all week. They might not be in the jackpot for this storm, but by Sunday they could very well have the highest weekly total. They also have a very good base to build on. Everything south of there in VT does not.

thats my main concern. tho my bases are already fucked and the replacement skis already purchased waiting to be drilled.

hows the base at burke? with a 2 foot dump will the burke glades all be 100% game on?