• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Forecast for Colorado

MadMadWorld

Cloudy with a chance of eating crow.....eat it dlague!

4bfc3432a99a19657ea202bfe53fc011.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using AlpineZone mobile app

dlague

Cloudy with a chance of eating crow.....eat it dlague!

4bfc3432a99a19657ea202bfe53fc011.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using AlpineZone mobile app
That is like saying blow torch in Colorado Springs. Both are below snow line Colorado Springs - 6800 ft and Fort Collins - 5000 feet.

Meanwhile at A Basin - not exactly blow torch and that is at the base.

6eef2db42fca64bf21913d4407582c3e.jpg

Why are you all so grumpy - you are going to get dumped on - ok not the 4 ft some projected but still.....Boston is going to get slammed!

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

Quietman

Moved to Colorado!

And you enjoyed an amazing stretch while we got torched, jealousy is an ugly thing! Hope A-Basin makes it to July this year!

It's all a gamble, just glad I didn't spring for a seasons pass like last I did last year. Still really enjoy ARL nights at Crotched with the AZ team this year.

4aprice

If you think a couple of days of 50 degree weather is going to cause a melt down like happened here you are sadly mistaken. There is so much snow out there. All it means is beach (as in A Bay Beach) and tanning weather will be happening for a while. 70 degrees in Fort Collins, the Springs or Denver means nothing except that it's beautiful when you come down out of the mountains. Heading out Friday and can't wait to spend my days skiing up in the mountains, coming down to the condo in Cottonwood Heights, putting on my swim suit, making a cocktail and hitting the hot tub with out having to worry about bundling up. Even if I miss the snow cycle its still going to be great.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

dlague

If you think a couple of days of 50 degree weather is going to cause a melt down like happened here you are sadly mistaken. There is so much snow out there. All it means is beach (as in A Bay Beach) and tanning weather will be happening for a while. 70 degrees in Fort Collins, the Springs or Denver means nothing except that it's beautiful when you come down out of the mountains. Heading out Friday and can't wait to spend my days skiing up in the mountains, coming down to the condo in Cottonwood Heights, putting on my swim suit, making a cocktail and hitting the hot tub with out having to worry about bundling up. Even if I miss the snow cycle its still going to be great.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
Very well stated. Had to come from someone else.

4aprice

Very well stated. Had to come from someone else.

While some may have problems with your reporting, I appreciate it and urge you to continue.

Example of weather in the plains as opposed to the mountains, was there last April, left Denver in 75 degree weather, and hit white out conditions by the time I hit Loveland Pass. It's part of the allure of the west to me, warm where you live while snow piles up in the mountains. 75 in Denver and 75 in Boston mean different things when it comes to skiing.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

jimk

As you guys may know I have 50 years skiing the mid-Atlantic, dozens of trips to New England and the equivalent of about 24 week-long ski trips out west. I was in the Vail/Beaver Creek area a couple of weeks ago and I just had to shake my head a few times that week. It's the perfect climate for a skier/boarder. Sunny 300 days a year, good amount of snow, good snow preservation because of the altitude. Pretty mild temps, esp down at the ski town level. I love skiing and have found great pleasure in doing it everywhere on the continent, but these are the findings of an old and well-traveled man:) Utah ain't bad either!

bdfreetuna

Telluride March 27+28 for me so focus shifting to Colorado. Hopefully this next week doesn't go from soup to frozen soup before I get there.

Savemeasammy

Telluride March 27+28 for me so focus shifting to Colorado. Hopefully this next week doesn't go from soup to frozen soup before I get there.

Telluride is probably the Colorado resort that I find most intriguing. I will look forward to seeing your report.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

dlague

As you guys may know I have 50 years skiing the mid-Atlantic, dozens of trips to New England and the equivalent of about 24 week-long ski trips out west. I was in the Vail/Beaver Creek area a couple of weeks ago and I just had to shake my head a few times that week. It's the perfect climate for a skier/boarder. Sunny 300 days a year, good amount of snow, good snow preservation because of the altitude. Pretty mild temps, esp down at the ski town level. I love skiing and have found great pleasure in doing it everywhere on the continent, but these are the findings of an old and well-traveled man:) Utah ain't bad either!

I agree with your POV - we have not had a single day of skiing with sub zero temps - low teens and high single digits yes a couple times. The temps have been consistently between 15 and 35 which is a very nice sweet spot. When the snow softens up like it will this week it still skis really nice since is mostly natural snow. Spring skiing was a blast last April, May and June. The season has been pretty consistent and as a result. the last time guns were blasting snow here was around early December. Do these mountain get slammed with 3 ft storms - not often. It is the constant 6-20 inch snows that build the place up.

Driving to where the snow is actually pretty nice. The temps in the front range cities are 20-30 degrees warmer than the mountains as it warms up but as it gets cold that tightens up - kind of strange.

BTW added bonus the Vail Resort lifts are super fast yet long which makes skiing their resorts so fun. In addition, for $609 the resorts we have skied are not bad at all.