• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

which mountain is the winner of this storm?

SnowRock

It looks like Stowe is reporting 50 up top with today's snow. Unreal. Saw the stake is well above 100 again. I have ot be all the way down in philly tomorrow for work but seriously contemplating a drive up to enjoy saturday and sunday.

Jcb890

This weekend's storm seems to be losing steam as most projections were originally around 6-8" for S. VT and now seeing 4-5" for S. VT.

As for the title of this thread... I'd say all of New England is a winner from this storm.

cdskier

This weekend's storm seems to be losing steam as most projections were originally around 6-8" for S. VT and now seeing 4-5" for S. VT.

I think the midweek storm exceeding expectations is a fair trade off! :D

Jcb890

I think the midweek storm exceeding expectations is a fair trade off! :D
For a Weekend Warrior type like me, I like the weekend storms better, but I won't complain. Hopefully we'll continue with good weather and our seasons will all be extended.

Even though I didn't get out to snowboard at all on Tuesday or yesterday. :cry:

cdskier

For a Weekend Warrior type like me, I like the weekend storms better, but I won't complain. Hopefully we'll continue with good weather and our seasons will all be extended.

Even though I didn't get out to snowboard at all on Tuesday or yesterday. :cry:

Agreed. I'm a weekend warrior too so some weekend snow would have been nice, but the 30-50" from the midweek storm depending on where you were still overall helps more than if it came in with less snow for VT as originally forecast.

VTKilarney

In a year that has been somewhat tough on weekend skiers, this weekend was insanely excellent. The only bummer is that the sun is really starting to get high in the sky. With no clouds in the sky, a decent amount of snow melted. Especially where dark spots soaked in the sun's warmth, melting the snow around them.

But this weekend was one of the best I've had in a LONG time.

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..
In a year that has been somewhat tough on weekend skiers, this weekend was insanely excellent. The only bummer is that the sun is really starting to get high in the sky. With no clouds in the sky, a decent amount of snow melted. Especially where dark spots soaked in the sun's warmth, melting the snow around them.

But this weekend was one of the best I've had in a LONG time.

I agree, it was excellent! Even with 40 + ski days, my legs are telling me about it this morning!

BenedictGomez

The only bummer is that the sun is really starting to get high in the sky. With no clouds in the sky, a decent amount of snow melted. Especially where dark spots soaked in the sun's warmth, melting the snow around them.

I was amazed by this. Five days after receiving 44" of snow, there were some bare spots emerging at Whiteface yesterday, and all the woods were closed. On trail conditions were great though, especially for Whiteface.

Jcb890

I was amazed by this. Five days after receiving 44" of snow, there were some bare spots emerging at Whiteface yesterday, and all the woods were closed. On trail conditions were great though, especially for Whiteface.
I kind of figured Mt. Snow would have a bit more coverage, it looks like their base is around 12-15" in most spots. I did admire their leniency in trails being open though. There were some trails with an awful lot of rock and grass showing which were still open.

Jcb890

Hunter was the same! Must be a Peak thing.
Eh, I don't know that has anything to do with it. I think the mountain and people operating things were just really excited by all the snowfall. I have been to Mt. Snow in the past where trails with that type of coverage would normally just be closed. I have a feeling they'll close some of that terrain down this week which was sketchy. If we get another good snowfall this weekend though, that'd put places in great shape.

Let's keep our fingers crossed for the weekend.