When is there too much snow? - Page 8

AlpineZone

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisbk View Post
    i haven't demo'd these but will if i ever have the chance:

https://4frnt.com/products/originator
    I'd love to demo those too. I'll be on the lookout for those next season for sure.

Try the dynastar twisters if you get a chance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AlpineZone mobile app

I wanted a new Eastern front side ski this past fall and got a pair of Nrgy 80s. They feel good on groomers/hardpack, but I wish I'd picked up something like those. I'm not that into fast groomer carving, but if a ski like that would help me in the bumps - that's an old man's dream I skied skinny skis for decades, so I'm not afraid to go back to something like 65mm.

A friend from Utah on his wider 4FRNT Devastator skis this January:

Last edited by jimk; Mar 24, 2017 at 9:24 AM.

Try doing that when you are buying gear for 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by goldsbar View Post
    Quivers can be built over time. I still happily use my 2004 Fischer SC's (slalom-lite style ski). The tech has changed the most on the wider skis.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app
    Last edited by dlague; Mar 24, 2017 at 9:43 AM.
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    So your side edge is 90? What is your base edge at? Just bought mogul skis so am curious what edge bevels most people tune them to. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
    Sorry. Didn't see this til now. By 90, I just mean that it's a regular tune, no bevel one way or the other. I used to bevel the edges both ways at 2 degrees, but the regular hardpack trail skiing performance ranged anywhere from crappy to downright scary! Each time I dialed it back a bit, and I found I enjoyed a .5/.5. (This was on my f17 classics). This summer I bought a pair of F17 WC's, and I decided to try skiing them with the factory tune. I discovered that I liked it just fine (and in fact I used them for a while in a race league for gates). That said, my technique is more straight down the hill than it is skidding, so sharp edges aren't as much of a penalty. Sometimes when the bumps are bulletproof, I will ski with more of a skid, and I find the tails are a bit grabby, but I'm willing to live with it...

I don't see 244's out there very much, but I saw someone skiing some at Ragged last Sunday!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Quote Originally Posted by madriverjack View Post
    Try the dynastar twisters if you get a chance.
    I second this recommendation. Just switched from F17 classics and won't go back until mud and rock season. They are great in NE ice bumps, probably because the lack of side-cut makes them easier to skid. Looking forward to seeing how they perform in spring conditions. The factory tune seems fine to me.

I have seen those posted on here before. I would like to give them a run for the fun of it. However, I am not the type to hit moguls all day. So at a 64 waist it becomes a functional ski for bumps and ripping groomers. It would also work well for tracked out trees. Geez, I think I am talking myself into them. I have not skied anything under 87 underfoot in over 10 years.

2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

Quote Originally Posted by dlague View Post
    However, I am not the type to hit moguls all day. So at a 64 waist it becomes a functional ski for bumps and ripping groomers.
    Couldn't find the dimensions on those skis, but if they do not have a lot of side cut, they probably won't be much help in ripping groomers. Hart's F-17 classics would be more appropriate if you want a bump ski that performs well on groomers too.

EDIT - Should have scrolled down... Looks like these are pure bump skis. Will be a pain to carve up groomers with, especially if you've been skiing shaped skis for the past 20 years or more.
    Last edited by Domeskier; Mar 24, 2017 at 9:53 AM.

I've got three pairs, 98mm Blizzard Ones, 88mm Blizzard Bushwackers, and 85mm Blizzard Magnum 8.5 Ti.

The Magnums are for hard pack groomer days, which I try to avoid as much as possible, so I use them less the 20% of the time. They are great for hard snow, but I find the stiffness a bit annoying for anything else. I'm pretty lightweight (150 lbs) and prefer quick turns/bumps/trees to speed, so I don't need a very stiff ski for my preferred skiing.

The majority of the time is split between the Ones and the BWs. I used to ski the BWs more, as I prefer the narrowness in bumps, but as I've gotten used to the 98mm over the years, I now prefer the Ones in more cases than the BWs. The BWs are still my choice for days when I know there won't be any unpacked snow, and I love them in the spring corn bumps.

I used to have 67mm carvers instead of the Magnums. On days when I'd start on the 67s and then switch to something wider during the day, I'd find the adjustment period annoying. I like that my current hard snow skis are wider, as I maintain the wider hip/knee/angle swing required to get them on edge, which makes switching skis pretty seamless.

Quote Originally Posted by Domeskier View Post
    Couldn't find the dimensions on those skis, but if they do not have a lot of side cut, they probably won't be much help in ripping groomers. Hart's F-17 classics would be more appropriate if you want a bump ski that performs well on groomers too.

EDIT - Should have scrolled down... Looks like these are pure bump skis. Will be a pain to carve up groomers with, especially if you've been skiing shaped skis for the past 20 years or more.
    You can see the side cut but here are the dimensions. 90x64x80

2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

Thread Information