Jay this weekend - Page 5

AlpineZone

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 56fish View Post
    Can't believe how many intelligent members don't get the value of the Tram. The wide-eyed wonder of those 6 to 60 years old, first time riders is what it's all about! An elderly woman naming all the gorgeous vistas from the top to her out-of-town friends - is what it's about! Who knows how many 5+ figure weddings are booked due to photo - ops of mountain top wedding parties...get my drift?
    How badly does that view deteriorate if you take a high speed quad and then a fixed grip double to the top?

Quote Originally Posted by VTKilarney View Post
    When the majority of the skiers are there, the experience is an frustratingly long wait. It's also the experience of being jammed up against a sweaty stranger.
    That's what enduring lifetime memories are made of! You obviously just don't get it. I bet you don't even appreciate standing in ski boots for over an hour. Come to think of it, you should probably quit skiing altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by fbrissette View Post
    On a Monday with all other lifts likely empty.
    THIS.

Ski on. I wasn't even there, but I know, this; precisely, this.

Quote Originally Posted by fbrissette View Post
    What's beyond me is why anyone would wait an hour to ski an extra 100m vertical especially when the really cool stuff boils down to 5 turns on Face Chute, 3 on Green Beret and about 15 on Pumphouse.

And for the life of me, I cannot understand waiting an hour so ski Northway or Vermonter unless you like skiing half days and are happy with 6 runs per day.
    Apparently it has to do with weddings, and old ladies naming random mountain peaks in southern Quebec.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Step #1 when discussing "novelty" type lifts.....

One must remember that the typical AZ poster is far from the typical skier and only represents an incredibly small percentage of a ski areas business, so what makes sense to an AZ poster, may very well make no sense whatsoever to the countless number of masses who actually do comprise a ski areas annual total customer visits during all 4 seasons.....

Step #2 - see step #1
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days, '17-'18 season 52 days, '18-'19 season 45 days '07-'19 seasons: 612 Days

'19 - '20 season:

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post

One must remember that the typical AZ poster is far from the typical skier and only represents an incredibly small percentage of a ski areas business, so what makes sense to an AZ poster, may very well make no sense whatsoever to the countless number of masses who actually do comprise a ski areas annual total customer visits during all 4 seasons.....

Step #2 - see step #1
    I'm not questioning Jay Peak motives. I'm questioning skiers who wait in line for one hour.

I don't get up to Jay as much as I'd like, so I'm a bit more inclined to wait in a line for the tram than I would for most other lifts. The terrain off the top is unique relative to other lift serviced terrain elsewhere. On New Year's Day a friend and I waited for perhaps 30-45. At the top, he and I were the only ones to head into the face chutes. Everyone else headed for one of the groomers...

It was a memorable run, so for me it was worth a bit of extra time.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

was at Snowbird and the Tram line was out the door into the courtyard but the Peruvian was ski on. Take the tunnel into Mineral Basin and you have all the terrain the tram accesses. It's like a moth to flame.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcb890 View Post
    Yeah, that really makes no sense.
    More for the summer clients.. good selling point.. for the hardcore skiers its pretty much a waste

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

I'm thinking about going up tomorrow? Did anyone ski today? Snow still decent?

As I've noted before, there is not much terrain acreage served by the tram. And most of that terrain is steep. The traffic limiting effect of the tram helps preserve the surface conditions on a lot of that expert terrain so that it isn't tracked out in a half hour.

On another note I made three runs with Kingdom-Tele somewhere near Jay Peak on Saturday. We never touched a lift and it was glorious .

You can see my photos here - http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

no snow left up there, huh

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post

Step #2 - see step #1
    Lol .... when I rode the tram at Cannon in august a long time ago I had a chat with the "operator ?" He said the tram gets more use in the summer than winter. I imagine the same is true for jay? The fact that it's there is a "coincidence" ( can't think of another description) in ski season. I can understand a first timer or fair weather skier wanting to pose for a selfie taking the tram but wasting an hour to a dedicated skier is unfathomable. I place myself in the latter as well but if there not standing in front of you in another lift line there's a silver lining.

Thread Information