Jay this weekend - Page 10

AlpineZone

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    Yeah, I completely forgot about that (obvious) expense. NESH has a page dedicated to lift prices for comparison's sake.

http://www.newenglandskihistory.com/...listbycost.php
    I did not know the site had this!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve@jpr View Post
    It boils down this way………...At its former peak capacity, the tram operated at about 600 persons per hour, although lately it has been running at around 350 pph. The summit has limited space for skiers/riders to stage once they exit the tram and there are only two major ways down, Vermonter and Northway. If we were to add significantly to the uphill capacity to the summit we would have significant congestion at the summit itself and the density of people on Vermonter, Northway, and in the glades would become intolerable.

I'm not in the "replace the tram camp", however it should be pointed out that although the tram delivers a relatively small amount of traffic to the summit, what it does do is deliver that traffic in chunks. Yes, it's "busy" when everyone offloads and then puts their skis on, and subsequently skis down together on one of two trails. A chairlift of similar hourly capacity would make the offloading and trail skiing experience less hectic, but I agree completely that it makes no sense to change what is already in place.

I will be up this weekend, and I hope to find a manageable line for the tram once or twice. If not, there is plenty of terrain to keep me and my kid entertained elsewhere!

Steve - do you have any insight into where spectators can view the freeride event?

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    Me too! Maybe it will all work out what with skier visits usually dropping pretty heavily by that time in the calendar. If not, it's another ski season without a tram ride for me.
    Let me know if you guys want to meet for a few runs. We could even hit Big Jay since I assume you will have an extra car. Let's just avoid the topic of climate change . If we ski at tunaspeed we can afford the 1-hour tram wait.

Not to beat a dead horse or bring up a sore subject, but wouldn't a non-Tram lift also be less prone to wind holds?
    2014 - 2015 Season: 16 days
    2015 - 2016 Season: 24 days
    2016 - 2017 Season: 33 days
    2017 - 2018 Season: 35 days
    2018 - 2019 Season: baby = hoping for... some? days...

I always find it weird how people on this site always complain about the tram at Jay, but never the tram at cannon. The Jay tram should never be replaced with another chair--it is truly iconic. That last part where it spans from the Bonnie Peak to the Summit without any towers couldn't possibly be like that with any other lift unless it was a funitel. Insert a chair lift in their and it would have more lift towers.

In fact the tram at Jay is more useful than the one at Cannon, at least during the winter. The one at Cannon is hard to get to (Who likes Banshee extension/Jaspers Hideaway/whatever other trails cannon keeps adding?), only really services DJ Tramline and Kinsman (rarely open), and doesn't span any large gaps. It could 100% just be a chairlift. The one at Jay is set up properly as a main, signature lift. If the bring back the short double from the flyer to the summit I'd be perfectly happy, but there is no need to replace the tram with a chair.
    "Well, they called him Super Skier,
    As he sat around the sundeck,
    For he swore that he would never take a spill.
    When they finally brought him down
    They had to use three toboggans
    To carry all the pieces down the hill."
    --Chad Mitchell Trio

Quote Originally Posted by gregnye View Post
    If the bring back the short double from the flyer to the summit I'd be perfectly happy, but there is no need to replace the tram with a chair.
    Well not anymore! But back before they recently made the decision to spend millions of dollars to fix an outdated and inefficient relic with sub-optimal skier capacity there surely was. That was the window-of-opportunity for the tram haters - sadly not to be.

I'd still love to see a short-double installed at some point in the future. Probably will never happen, and certainly cant until the place gets back on its' feet.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

I do think a chair lift - does not have to be a HSQ - would make a world of difference. Keep the tram as it has other uses 1) for those who want to take it to ski/snowboard and 2) those tourist that do not partake in downhill activities.

The lift could be a fixed grip with a low profile so windy days would allow for people to still make it up to the summit. Then again Bonnie and Flyer would possibly be closed then too!
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

Two words: rope tow.

Quote Originally Posted by bdfreetuna View Post
    I was going to say, a surface lift of some sort seems to be the way to go.

A few years ago a T-Bar was supposed to be installed to the summit of SL imminently... sadly that never came to fruition.

Quote Originally Posted by bdfreetuna View Post
    That would be one heck of a rope tow! Right up face chutes! Now THAT would be entertaining to watch.

Steal Burkes Poma!
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

Thread Information