• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Fat Lady Thread 2017

skiMEbike

Sugarloaf just announced skiing & riding DAILY thru May 1st !!!

I am guessing at least 1-2 more weekends only after that before they "officially" close.

dlague

Sugarloaf just announced skiing & riding DAILY thru May 1st !!!

I am guessing at least 1-2 more weekends only after that before they "officially" close.

Two more weekends beyond May 1st will be the longest that I can recall.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Ok. Just wasn't sure if you had heard an official announcement of a tentative closing date. I think 4/30 is likely it, but I'd love to see 5/7 if they still have the snow.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app
Unless things cool off considerably, I think even 4/30 is a stretch now. The past two days up there have been pretty devastating. Snow was melting fast today. They didn't blow nearly as much snow on Lynx this year as they did last year.

yeggous

Unless things cool off considerably, I think even 4/30 is a stretch now. The past two days up there have been pretty devastating. Snow was melting fast today. They didn't blow nearly as much snow on Lynx this year as they did last year.

Word. Despite the optimism they project, the base depths on Lynx and Polecat were noticeably thin this year. Without them the game is over.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

deadheadskier

Staff member
Next week doesn't look absurdly hot
It certainly looks better, but today was really bad for the mountain. Streams opening up all over and if you couldn't see them, you heard them underneath you on Starr Line, Catenary etc. We probably scored the last run down Shaft today. It felt like we were in a Indiana Jones movie as snow broke away to the river below as we skied over it.

By the weekend it will probably be snowmaking trails only and maybe Upper Wildcat. A few shots out in the brook maybe doable, but it will be sketchy.

Really need some nights in the 20s to stop some of the bleeding.

yeggous

Well the base is super deep at Atti....oh wait

I don't mean to be too much of a downer by the struggle is real. On Sunday the base depths in the Wild Kitten glades were on the order of three feet of natural. But being Wildcat it is not evenly distributed. There are some really thin spots on Upper Polecat and Middle Lynx.

And Wildcat is very river prone as DHS suggests. Lower Lynx comes to mind as a spot that is really prone to washouts in warm weather.

snoseek

Its cool I'm starting to get busy anyhow so a few more days and I'm done

frapcap

We probably scored the last run down Shaft today. It felt like we were in a Indiana Jones movie as snow broke away to the river below as we skied over it.

By the weekend it will probably be snowmaking trails only and maybe Upper Wildcat. A few shots out in the brook maybe doable, but it will be sketchy.

Really need some nights in the 20s to stop some of the bleeding.

The cold nights don't look to be in the forecast.
We got lucky with a fantastic day on this past Sunday. Everything was open and was completely skiable. The only place we didn't go was into the lower part of Shaft. It wasn't the smartest thing to do considering we could hear the water rushing under our feet. The upper part was fantastic though! If it had to be my last day on the mountain due to easter and warm ups, I'm glad it was a stellar spring snow and bump day.

Smellytele

Tomorrow night and Friday night look to be in the 20's at the Cat.
Thursday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 26. Blustery, with a northwest wind 15 to 20 mph increasing to 20 to 25 mph in the evening.

Friday
Sunny, with a high near 45. Breezy, with a northwest wind 15 to 20 mph.

Friday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 28. Blustery.

Saturday
A 30 percent chance of showers after 4pm. Mostly sunny, with a high near 52.

Also next Monday night it cools down as well.
Monday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 23. Windy.

Jcb890

They show 50% chance on Sunday so it may not be all that bad. Monday shows at 49 so at least it could be soft
I'm anticipating everything everywhere being soft this weekend. But, also hoping a good amount will still be groomed in the morning to allow some nice warm-up laps before everything gets all bumped up.

snoseek

I ended up at wildcat today. Pissed rain for the past hour. Simply amazing amounts of snow gone. There's maybe 5 people skiing right now....that's a guess as I only physically saw 3 others on my first 5 runs.

I could see them ending on the triple as the upper mtn is getting beat up. Snow farming season for the groomers starts soon. Surprisingly the actual snow is skiing really good. Fast wet cord. Als folly was toast lol

snoseek

I ended up at wildcat today. Pissed rain for the past hour. Simply amazing amounts of snow gone. There's maybe 5 people skiing right now....that's a guess as I only physically saw 3 others on my first 5 runs.

I could see them ending on the triple as the upper mtn is getting beat up. Snow farming season for the groomers starts soon. Surprisingly the actual snow is skiing really good. Fast wet cord. Als folly was toast lol

xwhaler

I'll be at Wildcat all wknd hoping for the best...appears they have lost these 4 trails since yesterday per the snow report
Tomcat Schuss
Al's Folly
Hairball
Lift Lion