• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Fat Lady Thread 2017

Jcb890

It was pretty good once things started to soften up. Even when it was still hard from overnight it was pretty damn good because they had groomed at least a decent amount of it. There will certainly be a lot of walking involved next weekend and if they make June. Like others said though the walk to the lift at the bottom and from the lift at the top wasn't bad at all. Hopefully they don't lose too much more headwall, but I'm sure they will.

I did 8 runs from 8:20 or 8:30 until about 11:00. By then there was no more evidence of the groomed sections and it was getting quite busy. The busy factor was okay, but what really annoys me is people stopping in obvious choke points or obvious avenues EVERYONE has been going down all day. It really aggravates me how selfish and oblivious to others people can be. I'm normally not one to say much other than niceties on the slopes but there was a couple of times when I had to go around a skier or sit and wait for them to move, so I felt the need to tell them they were in a bad spot to stop. There was also a couple of times where I was almost hit in the head by someone swinging skis around while carrying them and another older gentleman was carrying his poles dangerously almost hitting people behind him as he walked, including me.

C'mon skiers, get your shit together! :lol:

Jully

Gah! I just missed you Jcb890. I rolled in just a bit past 11 and skied till 2:15 when lines got mad long for some reason. Stretched almost all the way to the umbrella bar!

Tons of snow left. Next weekend won't be a problem. Headwall is starting to get thin on skiers right, but still plenty of depth in spots. Amazing bluebird day on Saturday.0520171227a.jpg0520171333f.jpg

Jully

Agree on people stopping at choke points too. I found it better then a normal Saturday skiing in terms of people stopping in the middle of the trail, but it was still frustrating.

cdskier

Agree on people stopping at choke points too. I found it better then a normal Saturday skiing in terms of people stopping in the middle of the trail, but it was still frustrating.

You'd think at this point in the season it would be mostly seasoned skiers that would know better...

dlague

It was pretty good once things started to soften up. Even when it was still hard from overnight it was pretty damn good because they had groomed at least a decent amount of it. There will certainly be a lot of walking involved next weekend and if they make June. Like others said though the walk to the lift at the bottom and from the lift at the top wasn't bad at all. Hopefully they don't lose too much more headwall, but I'm sure they will.

I did 8 runs from 8:20 or 8:30 until about 11:00. By then there was no more evidence of the groomed sections and it was getting quite busy. The busy factor was okay, but what really annoys me is people stopping in obvious choke points or obvious avenues EVERYONE has been going down all day. It really aggravates me how selfish and oblivious to others people can be. I'm normally not one to say much other than niceties on the slopes but there was a couple of times when I had to go around a skier or sit and wait for them to move, so I felt the need to tell them they were in a bad spot to stop. There was also a couple of times where I was almost hit in the head by someone swinging skis around while carrying them and another older gentleman was carrying his poles dangerously almost hitting people behind him as he walked, including me.

C'mon skiers, get your shit together! :lol:
One thing that I hate is when skiers shoulder carry and turn and make people duck.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

dlague

Choke points are frustrating like snowboarders after getting off the lift and skiers trying to figure where they want to go.

eatskisleep

I think this year is the deepest that I have seen superstar in May. The bottom section must have been about 20 feet deep. I looked up a few of my old photos. Skylark was open at this time a few years ago, and they closed on 5/21. This year and last they are really pushing it and that is great to see. I think June should not be a problem for them! A few photos from 5/13:
udtIN8J.jpg

vLiuTJJ.jpg

7Kpl1cF.jpg

Compared to 5/10/2014:

9YRLsEZ.jpg

Also notice that the snowmaking pipe was in a different location than it is now... (pic from 2014)
LIRtyhs.jpg

From 5/10/14
I89ZJ96.jpg

2014 was wide, but not as deep.

I was there for closing day last season, it was a lots of grass/rock skiing/walking, but it was fun, and they ran the lifts so that was awesome too. Oh, and tickets were free!

Last edited:

dlague

I think this year is the deepest that I have seen superstar in May. The bottom section must have been about 20 feet deep. I looked up a few of my old photos. Skylark was open at this time a few years ago, and they closed on 5/21. This year and last they are really pushing it and that is great to see. I think June should not be a problem for them! A few photos from 5/13:
udtIN8J.jpg

vLiuTJJ.jpg

7Kpl1cF.jpg

Compared to 5/10/2014:

9YRLsEZ.jpg

Also notice that the snowmaking pipe was in a different location than it is now... (pic from 2014)
LIRtyhs.jpg

From 5/10/14
I89ZJ96.jpg

2014 was wide, but not as deep.

I was there for closing day last season, it was a lots of grass/rock skiing/walking, but it was fun, and they ran the lifts so that was awesome too. Oh, and tickets were free!
Those pics help to put things into perspective and provide and idea of the current state. Would be cool to see them make it.
This is May 21, 2016 one year ago today.
56a1e8ba51434a947562853e8a623b37.jpg

Sent from my LGMS345 using AlpineZone mobile app

And this is May 27, 2016. Lost a lot in 6 days. Real warm week IIRC.
2bee5f0b91a5613129bcea3bd1a4986e.jpg

Sent from my LGMS345 using AlpineZone mobile app

drjeff

I think the key thing looking ahead for K's chances of making it to June this year, is while the forecast can change, the 10 day forecast as of now has no major heat waves. If that plays out, very likely the the chair will spin on June 1st and they'll be far more skiing than walking as well!

Jcb890

How much walking is the real question. If they open that weekend in June I think I'll try and make it up just to say I went in June.

The walking this weekend wasn't bad at all.

My wife was watching though while I rode and in just the few hours I was riding she said she could see the "S" section thinning out... and that wasn't even that long of a time. Here's to hoping for June!

CoolMike

Anyone know what happened to the dude who used to play music in the corner of the umbrella bar area at Killington in the springtime? I was looking forward to listening to him rock out this weekend but he was not there on Saturday. He's been there every other time I've skied in late April through May. Sometimes you see him even at the Ski expo in the fall.

Anyhow, I don't remember his name and don't really know how to describe him. He plays rock covers, plays guitar and sings.

he is good!

Anyone know what happened to the dude who used to play music in the corner of the umbrella bar area at Killington in the springtime? I was looking forward to listening to him rock out this weekend but he was not there on Saturday. He's been there every other time I've skied in late April through May. Sometimes you see him even at the Ski expo in the fall.

Anyhow, I don't remember his name and don't really know how to describe him. He plays rock covers, plays guitar and sings.

Jcb890

Saw the chair running this morning on Superstar.??
Yup, just looked at the webcam and its running now. It also looks like they groomed a bunch over near the "S turn", I assume that's because they had to move snow around. It was looking thin when I checked out the webcam on Tuesday I think it was.