• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mad River Glen this weekend

Duncanator24

Ya we went over to Castlerock and skied Poop Chute and Rumble woods as well as Green land. All very good. Feeling it this week a bit though.

Is Greenland the area off of the skiers right of Castlerock run down to Bailout? I know poop chute well, that was my favorite run all day. Just had to follow somebody else's tracks and then it was smooth sailing.

Duncanator24

Haha maybe is always the correct answer. And yeah, tradition is strong on that one! You guys were probably the people right ahead of me that I talked to after getting to end near Troll road and Middle Earth.

cdskier

Actually those aren't secret names. You must know that they are the common names for the areas. Right? If you don't know then come on down the castlerock pub and you will learn.

Hah...yes, I probably should have put "secret" in quotes. I've heard many of them before and know where some are, but not all. Sometimes I don't know whether I've skied some of these woods before when people mention names as I just don't know the names for everywhere (although in the case of the ones you mentioned I know I haven't skied them since I've never been in the woods on CR).

Hawk

CD, The tradition of no internet is something that I believe in strongly. I am not a lifetime Sugarbush guy. Was converted when Les Otten bought Sugarbush and it became part of my pass in 1995. Soon after that I left Sunday River after 17 years because simply it snowed a ton more at Sugarbush and the woods were way better. Fortunately for me I became good friends with several of the long time locals because I kept running into them in the woods. They showed me things and I figured out the rest on my own. But they trusted me with the most secluded and deep pockets of good skiing even though they still called me a flatlander. Even to this day. LOL. The only rule these guys had was no posting of these places so the traffic stays down. If has always been the norm to ski with people and show them or figure it out yourself. Because If you are good enough to find it, you are good enough to ski it. In my 17 years at the Bush I have seen the traffic increase by 10,000%. I attribute this to the advent of fat skis and the internet. So track me down and maybe we can go to places you have not seen.

cdskier

Hawk, I support not publicly posting information on the Internet on these areas. I agree people should have to work for it or get local knowledge and not just be handed a map online. No disputing that from me.

At some point I would love to track you down in the future. I'm still working slowly on getting my confidence up in the woods (hence part of the reason I've never been in any woods on CR). I only started having a real interest in the woods maybe 3 years ago or so. Ironically this was right after my cousin moved out to North Dakota and he was someone that knew the Sugarbush woods like the back of his hand and would have taken me to good places to get me properly acquainted with the woods. Every time I post a picture online from one of the marked gladed areas he comments saying he wishes he was still back here in the East to take me into unmarked glades. I'll get there eventually one way or another!

Duncanator24

The best part about exploring it and figuring it out for yourself is that after all of the terrible spots you find, the really good ones are just that much better. Just being brought right to the treasure chest is kinda boring and takes out half the fun. I like having to struggle through "unskiable" woods to find the jackpot!

Duncanator24

CD, The tradition of no internet is something that I believe in strongly.
I wish it were tradition to intentionally lead people to really sketchy woods with the promise that its great. Like telling people to ski off the bottom of Bailout. Totally no rivers in there to cross! Also once tried that same area from lower CR run. Again, rivers and thick brush. I like to recommend people I dont like to go there haha.

Hawk

Looks like maybe 8 or 10" Friday night. Saturday will be one of those days that the early ups pays off. That pass has totally paid off this year.