• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mad River Glen this weekend

crank

I was considering Gore this weekend, but if it warms up and there is liquid falling I will stay home. Hoping to ski Tucks mid-April and that will be it for this season.

Kleetus

Be honest. Would you drive 5.5 hours to ski at SB/Stowe this weekend given the anticipated conditions. Add to the fact pattern that I probably won't get to ski again this season so this could be the last hurrah. Might have a shot at skiing the second weekend of April (Tremblant) but don't know for sure.

I was at Tremblant last year closing weekend and it was pretty sweet. Nice soft perfectly spaced bumps all over the place. Now they had an above average winter up there last year and weather was 60 and sunny both days. So that helped. Not sure how they made out this winter

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

frapcap

MRG < Sugarbush < Stowe < Smuggler's Notch < Jay Peak

Right now.

Though I imagine between Stowe, Smugg's, and JP it's probably not dramatically different.

I will put up my trip reports shortly, but this is pretty accurate.

We skied Bolton Saturday- loads left in the trees, LOADS. Probably due to the low angle and most folks not skiing trees there.
Sunday was Jay. Lots there. Little scrappy in the woods off Jet, but the Zoomer side (beaver pond, everglade, etc) and Vahala woods off the tram were fantastic.

Monday was MRG. Should've went earlier. Still had fun, but if I had skied there before and previously had the experience of the institution, we probably would've opted for Sugarbush. They're getting seriously thin there.

EDIT:
http://forums.alpinezone.com/showth...Peak-Mad-River-Glen-PICS!?p=976162#post976162
Here you go

Last edited:

bdfreetuna

try Devils Playground, Outlaw Woods, Lost Girlz, Preacher Woods(top left) for some tough/steep woods at Bolton

Might go there next weekend along with Jay from the looks of it. Still got some $39 coupons for BV.

WWF-VT

Snowing pretty hard here at Mt Ellen at 9 AM could be 3-5" by the end of day. Get it while you can.

bzrperfspec77

Snowing pretty hard here at Mt Ellen at 9 AM could be 3-5" by the end of day. Get it while you can.

It turned to a mix of sleet and snow by days end but it's great skiing. Enjoying a Bright from Treehouse and getting ready to head out to find some food (Thanks WWF-VT for the suggestions!). Should be nice tomorrow!

rocks860

It turned to a mix of sleet and snow by days end but it's great skiing. Enjoying a Bright from Treehouse and getting ready to head out to find some food (Thanks WWF-VT for the suggestions!). Should be nice tomorrow!

If you want a real good dinner go to peasant. Treehouse is amazing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Thursday. Only the groomers skied as PP at MRG yesterday. Windblown, dense and very grabby on the newfallen, which found its way to the bottom of moguls and side of trails. That 4" on top of rock solid made thing challenging. Woods required a lot of muscle. Lots of untracked, but the grabbiness made it difficult. Went back to fsg skis with a good wax. Starting to see easily avoidable grass and dirt and some shiny blue on the steeps. Woods had a lot of underlying surprises in them. Left this morning around 9am, but decided that unless they had a good 6" it wouldn't be much better than yesterday. Spring skiing is here.

mikec142

Made the drive. Skied Stowe today and it was outrageously good. 6-8 fell Friday with half coming overnight. Hayride, Lifeline, National all skied great. The woods on skiers left off of Hayride were epic. Tons of powder. My poles kept sinking in almost to the handle. SB tomorrow on my way home.

Duncanator24

Did stowe avoid the candy coating crust on top of everything? I know for me at Sugarbush today, it was the hardest day I've ever skiied. Got first chair on heavens gate and that run down Paradise felt like I did 8 runs. Cutting through that stuff was a real challenge. Found some better stuff on castle Rock and conditions improved throughout the day. But man was it a tough day!

bzrperfspec77

Did stowe avoid the candy coating crust on top of everything? I know for me at Sugarbush today, it was the hardest day I've ever skiied. Got first chair on heavens gate and that run down Paradise felt like I did 8 runs. Cutting through that stuff was a real challenge. Found some better stuff on castle Rock and conditions improved throughout the day. But man was it a tough day!

Saturday was tough. We hit paradise at the end of the day and it was awesome. Softened right up, but very difficult to see in the clouds/fog

cdskier

Saturday was tough. We hit paradise at the end of the day and it was awesome. Softened right up, but very difficult to see in the clouds/fog

Saturday was all about hitting the right trails at the right time, especially earlier in the day. At the start of the day at Sugarbush, Jester and Downspout were the only trails that were actually really nice that I found. I ended up lapping Jester 4 or 5 times while I waited for others to break up Ripcord. It wasn't bad when I finally skied it, although I'm sure it improved more as the day went on. Domino and Lower Domino were skiing really well just after 11 so I ended up hitting that a few times. More and more kept softening up as the day went on though.

Duncanator24

Saturday was all about hitting the right trails at the right time, especially earlier in the day. At the start of the day at Sugarbush, Jester and Downspout were the only trails that were actually really nice that I found. I ended up lapping Jester 4 or 5 times while I waited for others to break up Ripcord. It wasn't bad when I finally skied it, although I'm sure it improved more as the day went on. Domino and Lower Domino were skiing really well just after 11 so I ended up hitting that a few times. More and more kept softening up as the day went on though.

Definitely realized this about 1/4 of my way through the first run. But at that point it was already too late and I had to finish it haha. Castle Rock had some good stuff in the trees at least. Little bit softer in there. And Castle Rock run was actually really great too. So yeah, all about timing. I was done by 1pm though just from how hard it was.

dlague

Jester is a funny trail - the turns get scraped off and one turn specifically looks like you could ski off the trail. Saw a snow boarder down there a few years back that did exactly that. Seemed to be ok with friends hanging out waiting for help. It reminds me of Upper Ravine and Upper Cannon at - you guessed it - Cannon.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

slatham

No coating/crust. I was at Stowe Fri-Sun for an epic weekend. We had 8" of snow and no crust. Snow wasn't light pow as at times it was grapple but with the 7" earlier in the week and all that fell during/around Stella it was amazing. I was with some locals who said it pretty much all time.

Hawk

That is funny dude. We were right behind you in line. We ended up skiing all our runs in the trees. if you skied the thick pine forest it cut the crust way down to almost nothing. That was the trick. We were first chair both Saturday and Sunday at 7:30 with the early ups. I definitely saw you. I was the dude that went off into the woods for a break just before they got HG running.

Duncanator24

That is funny dude. We were right behind you in line. We ended up skiing all our runs in the trees. if you skied the thick pine forest it cut the crust way down to almost nothing. That was the trick. We were first chair both Saturday and Sunday at 7:30 with the early ups. I definitely saw you. I was the dude that went off into the woods for a break just before they got HG running.
Haha small world, definitely remembered seeing that. Yeah, I learned that a little bit too late. If I had more time that day and could have skiied the next day, it probably would have been real good! Crazy how there was no line at CR on a Saturday, that would have been fun to lap all day if I had the energy/time.

Hawk

Ya we went over to Castlerock and skied Poop Chute and Rumble woods as well as Green land. All very good. Feeling it this week a bit though.