• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mad River Glen this weekend

TheArchitect

I'm trying to decide where to go this weekend and MRG is on the list with Sugarbush and Stowe. Has anyone skied MRG this week and can comment on the conditions? Is Paradise in decent shape? The website says it's open but that doesn't mean it's skiable.

Hawk

I skied MRG on Sunday. They were 100% open. The conditions were not bad. The hard icy layer was showing all over but the new snow filled in a lot of areas and if you paid attention, you could ski the runs and it was all good. Wish the warm up and some new snow this weekend I would be it would be pretty good.

I skied Sugarbush on Friday and Saturday. Both days were very good as we went deep into the woods and found lots of untracked. The trails skied OK also. Much like MRG but possibly a little better.

TheArchitect

Thanks for the info. I haven't skied MRG in a long time so I think I'll go there Saturday and SB on Sunday.

crank

I would flip that for lift line management.

Hawk

I totally agree. Sunday's at MRG are lighter days especially the second half of the day. Watch the weather though for the weekend. Not sure exactly what is happening yet.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Now I am waiting to see if this turns into the Jay thread and an argument erupts about the value of the Single Chair. :lol:

frapcap

I skied MRG on Monday.
It was super warm out and a lot of the steep stuff has seen better days. Big bumps have formed and were very fun and soft, but were waning with little left in the troughs. Paradise was alright, but you really had to pick and choose the line- it is no longer wall to wall and there are a plethora of skied off spots. I'd imagine that this week hasn't been kind to it.

Some of the lower angle trees and lesser traveled stashes were still pretty decent and held snow, but the deeper, untouched stuff was left that way for a reason. Very thick crunchy top that made it difficult to turn.

Trails were still in great shape though.

My guess is the Thurs-Sun traffic really put their toll on the mountain by the time we got there. Totally your call, but I might wait for another refresh before returning.

TheArchitect

I would flip that for lift line management.

I totally agree. Sunday's at MRG are lighter days especially the second half of the day. Watch the weather though for the weekend. Not sure exactly what is happening yet.

I skied MRG on Monday.
It was super warm out and a lot of the steep stuff has seen better days. Big bumps have formed and were very fun and soft, but were waning with little left in the troughs. Paradise was alright, but you really had to pick and choose the line- it is no longer wall to wall and there are a plethora of skied off spots. I'd imagine that this week hasn't been kind to it.

Some of the lower angle trees and lesser traveled stashes were still pretty decent and held snow, but the deeper, untouched stuff was left that way for a reason. Very thick crunchy top that made it difficult to turn.

Trails were still in great shape though.

My guess is the Thurs-Sun traffic really put their toll on the mountain by the time we got there. Totally your call, but I might wait for another refresh before returning.

Good advice from all. I had hoped that the steeps might be in better shape, especially Paradise. I've never skied it and would rather have it wall-to-wall. Decisions....

BenedictGomez

If we wait to ski something in "perfect" condition we wouldn't ski often in the East.

Winter is slowly dying. Use those vouchers folks.

Snowpack.jpg

bushpilot

MRG snow report yesterday said they got 6 inches from Tuesday night into Wednesday. Sugarbush said they got 1-3.

TheArchitect

If we wait to ski something in "perfect" condition we wouldn't ski often in the East.

Agreed. Not looking for perfection; just trying go where the most snow is right now. As I said up-thread, MRG, SB and Stowe are on my list and I'll be happy at any of the three that has the best conditions right now.

bzrperfspec77

I will be at Sugarbush tomorrow and will be able to report back. Unless I get into my treehouse that I will have in the cooler or find a good pub with some Hill Farmstead, then I may forget :flag:

bushpilot

Agreed. Not looking for perfection; just trying go where the most snow is right now. As I said up-thread, MRG, SB and Stowe are on my list and I'll be happy at any of the three that has the best conditions right now.

Sugarbush and Stowe will have better conditions than MRG.

mikec142

I will be at Sugarbush tomorrow and will be able to report back. Unless I get into my treehouse that I will have in the cooler or find a good pub with some Hill Farmstead, then I may forget :flag:

Please report in early...debating whether or not to make the 5.5 hour drive. Really on the fence and need guidance. Weather for the weekend looks iffy.

WWF-VT

My guess is 3-5” of windblown snow from Tuesday into Wednesday here at Mt Ellen. Cold and sunny today with snow to mixed precipitation coming in tomorrow.

mikec142

My guess is 3-5” of windblown snow from Tuesday into Wednesday here at Mt Ellen. Cold and sunny today with snow to mixed precipitation coming in tomorrow.

Be honest. Would you drive 5.5 hours to ski at SB/Stowe this weekend given the anticipated conditions. Add to the fact pattern that I probably won't get to ski again this season so this could be the last hurrah. Might have a shot at skiing the second weekend of April (Tremblant) but don't know for sure.