• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stowe Gondola Incident

BenedictGomez

Saw it on J.O.T.D. Wonder how long the people had to sit in the gondola until they could free the tent.

mriceyman

Talk about a weird thing to see

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

wtcobb

A lame attempt at guerilla marketing to get park skiers interested in Salomon skis.

"You'll get so much air you'll rail the lift cable!"

thetrailboss

Staff member
So a gust of wind picked up the tent and hit the Gondi? I was expecting something more. I laughed at the marketing comment.

SnowRock

Can we thread drift this to weekend weather at Stowe. Not nearly as weather nerdy as some, but looks to me like decent potential for back end snow tomorrow with some upslope action. Am i being too optimistic to think at least 4 or so by Staurday AM? Contemplating making the last drive up of the season from Jersey City tomorrow at some point once i wrap up some work nonsense.

mbedle

That is what it is looking like for Saturday. Things are going to be pretty hard on Saturday morning with the temp drop.

SnowRock

That is what it is looking like for Saturday. Things are going to be pretty hard on Saturday morning with the temp drop.

Yeah hoping that some dense on top will be enough to keep it fun. and maybe the upslope gods shine on us and over deliver.

kartski

Bernoulli Principle will cause the pressure to lower across the top, providing lift. Most newer EZ-ups have flaps that allow the high pressure underneath to vent to the top. Time to buy a new one.

NYDB

That's not too bad of an incident. I thought something really terrible happened like they let 8 singles on one gondola or something

drjeff

I saw some live video from Stowe on FB today from that exact same location where vendor tents are once again set up for something related to the New England Ski Hall of Fame induction ceremonies as I gather, and the tents that you could see blatantly were tethered down to a 5 gallon bucket filled with something heavy on each corner!!

Lesson learned!!

thetrailboss

Staff member
That's not too bad of an incident. I thought something really terrible happened like they let 8 singles on one gondola or something

Thank you. I also was worried that folks were not using the racks on the outside of the gondola for their skis and snowboards.

catskillman

I saw some live video from Stowe on FB today from that exact same location where vendor tents are once again set up for something related to the New England Ski Hall of Fame induction ceremonies as I gather, and the tents that you could see blatantly were tethered down to a 5 gallon bucket filled with something heavy on each corner!!

Lesson learned!!
They are soooo lucky it only hit the cable. It could have hit folks skiing or just as easily got tangled in a chairlift........