• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Who obtained the best Cost/Day ratio this season?

Smellytele

This is the way to be no doubt and I've surprised myself by even spending anything at all in the bar this season as in the past I avoided this at all cost. I have no explanation other than I like to warm up or get out of the elements and chat with strangers I guess?

I also use red solo cups in the lodge to consume beverages as well when we pack lunches.

Domeskier

Those stupid little run-down towns that Vermont insists on putting on their highways have been raising my average. I think maybe they should earmark some of that "speeding" ticket revenue for lobbying against self-driving cars or they probably won't be around in 10 years.

Smellytele

Those stupid little run-down towns that Vermont insists on putting on their highways have been raising my average. I think maybe they should earmark some of that "speeding" ticket revenue for lobbying against self-driving cars or they probably won't be around in 10 years.

Thinking of self driving cars - will you still be able to get a dui?

Duncanator24

Side note but related, anybody who drives up Route 7 in Vermont past Mt. Tabor to get towards the mountains ever notice that cop in the Green charger who is ALWAYS there at a gas station? There is a quick change in speed limit from 55 to 45 there and I bet he generates all sorts of revenue for that town. I have seen him camping there or pulling someone over during every drive up that way.
Street view of that spot: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.346...4!1sBk7v2WIbbe42joyE8c_X0w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

BenedictGomez

OMG, so true. I have received 3 speeding tickets in my entire life, ALL THREE of them in Vermont (Saint Albans, Shelburne, Fair Haven).

The statistical unlikelihood of this given how little of my life has been spent in Vermont versus ex-Vermont is mind-boggling and shows how ridiculous they are in handing out tickets. It's especially frustrating for someone from New Jersey, since my home state is like the autobahn, where it seems cop's don't even care how fast you're driving, but rather how you're driving.

Worse? The Vermont "late fee" scam.

Should anyone reading this get a ticket in Vermont, heed my advice well.....make SURE you pay the ticket in a manner which proves the date you paid. I suggest using their online processing site even though there's a $3 fee for it (of course), because if you just send Vermont a check in the mail, they'll sit on that crap forever and act like it's a Pony Express letter sent from New York to San Francisco circa 1860, claim you were "late" with the payment, and then nail you with a $30 late fee on top of the egregiously high $225 speeding ticket. When I complained stating just how long ago it was that I mailed the payment in, the response was, "we don't go by the postmark date". TRANSLATION: You can mail the payment the very same day you get the ticket, and if Vermont wants to charge you a late fee, it can and will. So yea, I agree Vermont's economy would collapse without speeding tickets.

Duncanator24

OMG, so true. I have received 3 speeding tickets in my entire life, ALL THREE of them in Vermont (Saint Albans, Shelburne, Fair Haven).

The statistical unlikelihood of this given how little of my life has been spent in Vermont versus ex-Vermont is mind-boggling and shows how ridiculous they are in handing out tickets. It's especially frustrating for someone from New Jersey, since my home state is like the autobahn, where it seems cop's don't even care how fast you're driving, but rather how you're driving.

Worse? The Vermont "late fee" scam.

Should anyone reading this get a ticket in Vermont, heed my advice well.....make SURE you pay the ticket in a manner which proves the date you paid. I suggest using their online processing site even though there's a $3 fee for it, because if you just send Vermont a check in the mail, they'll sit on that crap forever and act like it's a Pony Express letter sent from New York to San Francisco circa 1860, claim you were "late" with the payment, and then nail you with a $30 late fee on top of the egregiously high $225 speeding ticket. When I complained stating just how long ago it was that I mailed the payment in, the response was, "we don't go by the postmark date". Translation: You can mail the payment in the same day you get the ticket, and if Vermont wants to charge you a late fee, it can and will. So yea, I agree Vermont's economy would collapse without speeding tickets.

So much salt haha. But, yeah definitely hear you on that. Going 15 over is the minimum requirement at home in NJ. You are still highly unlikely to get pulled over doing 20-25 over on the Parkway/Turnpike. Smaller towns though or near the shore are much the same as Vermont. They will gladly hand out 10 over tickets like candy during the tourist season (summer beach season in NJ).

Domeskier

Side note but related, anybody who drives up Route 7 in Vermont past Mt. Tabor to get towards the mountains ever notice that cop in the Green charger who is ALWAYS there at a gas station? There is a quick change in speed limit from 55 to 45 there and I bet he generates all sorts of revenue for that town. I have seen him camping there or pulling someone over during every drive up that way.
Street view of that spot: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.346...4!1sBk7v2WIbbe42joyE8c_X0w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

That's the guy who got me....

Duncanator24

Not surprised! I recall going through there at about 60 and he flashed brights at me. Now I just memorized where the exact spot is and just go 45 there for a couple miles no matter what. Guess I got lucky!

BenedictGomez

Not surprised! I recall going through there at about 60 and he flashed brights at me. Now I just memorized where the exact spot is and just go 45 there for a couple miles no matter what. Guess I got lucky!

My next radar detector is going to have the memory button feature that reminds you to slow down on spots like this where you know there's a 75% change a cop will be present.

Domeskier

He did the same to me, but I didn't take the hint fast enough I guess. Didn't even notice the change to 45mph. Got one on 100 where the limit dropped from 45 to 35 to 25 in probably no more than 1000 feet, down hill. I'm thinking of becoming one of those folks who drives up there at the head of a line of 10 cars doing 5mph under the limit at all times.

Glenn

It only takes a few days for us to break even on our passes. It's hard to say what our exact cost per day was. Some days were closer to half days vs full days. We still came out ahead and had a good season.

Smellytele

It only takes a few days for us to break even on our passes. It's hard to say what our exact cost per day was. Some days were closer to half days vs full days. We still came out ahead and had a good season.

I notice the ski area(s) I have a season pass for I am more likely to not feel as obligated to ski the whole day.

cdskier

I don't think I've ever been on that part of Rt 7. Where are people from NJ/NY going to ski that they end up on Rt 7 in that area?

Domeskier

I don't think I've ever been on that part of Rt 7. Where are people from NJ/NY going to ski that they end up on Rt 7 in that area?

Killington. It tends to be a little faster than taking I-87 all the way to US-4. That being said, I've never gotten a ticket taking that route.

cdskier

Killington. It tends to be a little faster than taking I-87 all the way to US-4. That being said, I've never gotten a ticket taking that route.

Oh, I did take that way back from K once a number of years ago to try it now that you mention it. Seemed slower to me compared to I-87/149/4 though.

Duncanator24

Oh, I did take that way back from K once a number of years ago to try it now that you mention it. Seemed slower to me compared to I-87/149/4 though.
I take route 7 up to Sugarbush. It is slower than going out to 87 via 4 to 149 (especially if I cut over from 100 via 73 to 30) but there are more places to stop to eat along route 7. And alternatively, I can hop on 22 once I hit NY and take the Taconic south to avoid the tolls. Both ways end up being similar in time but Route 7 to 4 to 100 generally has much better pavement than dealing with the potholes (or should i say craters) on 73.

Glenn

I notice the ski area(s) I have a season pass for I am more likely to not feel as obligated to ski the whole day.

Agreed.

That's been the case on a few occasions. Or we'll skip the day if it's going to be marginal.