• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Who obtained the best Cost/Day ratio this season?

cdskier

I take route 7 up to Sugarbush. It is slower than going out to 87 via 4 to 149 (especially if I cut over from 100 via 73 to 30) but there are more places to stop to eat along route 7. And alternatively, I can hop on 22 once I hit NY and take the Taconic south to avoid the tolls. Both ways end up being similar in time but Route 7 to 4 to 100 generally has much better pavement than dealing with the potholes (or should i say craters) on 73.

I-87-149-4-22A-73-100 is my weekly route to Sugarbush. Only place on 73 that really has a lot of potholes is in the Brandon gap area but it really never bothered me much. I could see 7 being better though if you want places to eat along the way. My usual goal is to eat when I get up to Sugarbush though. If I leave late and know that won't happen, then I stop in Glens Falls. On the way home I'll either eat before I leave or stop in Brandon to eat.

Domeskier

I-87-149-4-22A-73-100 is my weekly route to Sugarbush. Only place on 73 that really has a lot of potholes is in the Brandon gap area but it really never bothered me much. I could see 7 being better though if you want places to eat along the way. My usual goal is to eat when I get up to Sugarbush though. If I leave late and know that won't happen, then I stop in Glens Falls. On the way home I'll either eat before I leave or stop in Brandon to eat.

I stopped going I-87-149-4 to avoid the traffic by the outlet malls just off I-87 and the bridge with the lane closed in Whitehall or someplace like that. If that bridge is fully operational again, I might give it another go.

bushpilot

1200 for a sugarbush pass. 52 days so far between my son and I so that is just over $23 a day.

Also went to MRG for the $3.50 day and Cannon with an employee discount ticket which I think worked out to 35 bucks. Had I not had the discount for Cannon that would have been another day at the bush.

Duncanator24

This is when taking my Miata on coilovers. Yes, not the most ideal ski mountain vehicle but the snow tires work great. It is only ground clearance on rough roads at speed that are bothersome. Route 73 is particularly rough in comparison to everything else. Would be a fun road to drive actually if it wasnt for that! Top down drives to/from the mountain are totally worth the hassle though.

cdskier

I stopped going I-87-149-4 to avoid the traffic by the outlet malls just off I-87 and the bridge with the lane closed in Whitehall or someplace like that. If that bridge is fully operational again, I might give it another go.

I rarely hit traffic by the outlet malls in Queensbury in the winter. Sometimes this time of year you might start to hit some traffic if it is a nice warm day on the way home. That's more the exception than the rule though. In the summer I'll usually cut off of 149 onto 9L and take that to Glens Falls and get on I87 there to avoid the outlets. On the drive up I'm usually going through Queensbury at a non-peak outlet time.

As for that bridge in Whitehall, yes it is fully operational again. I think they finished it in the summer or fall. I never had to wait more than a few minutes when it was one lane, but I could see that being an issue at busier times of the day.

cdskier

This is when taking my Miata on coilovers. Yes, not the most ideal ski mountain vehicle but the snow tires work great. It is only ground clearance on rough roads at speed that are bothersome. Route 73 is particularly rough in comparison to everything else. Would be a fun road to drive actually if it wasnt for that! Top down drives to/from the mountain are totally worth the hassle though.

In the winter when it is snowing I tend to prefer the Brandon gap to the other options. The eastern side of the gap is relatively straight and not too steep. That was the original reason I started going that way (plus it was a tiny bit faster than other ways we tried). Middlebury gap is out of the way. App gap is way too twisty and steep. Mendon pass near K I never liked. I've seen people drive way too fast in bad weather and always feel the road is pitched the wrong way in spots in that area.

dlague

I notice the ski area(s) I have a season pass for I am more likely to not feel as obligated to ski the whole day.

Agreed.

That's been the case on a few occasions. Or we'll skip the day if it's going to be marginal.

We do the same. Feeling tired, OK to start at 10. Conditions not that great, OK to leave early. Got plans for the afternoon, OK to ski just the morning or vise versa.

BenedictGomez

I rarely hit traffic by the outlet malls in Queensbury in the winter.

Agreed. It's only bad on Sunday afternoons, and even then it's not that bad.

Summertime is a whole other ball of wax though, heading south it can back up to the light for a few miles.

Domeskier

Agreed. It's only bad on Sunday afternoons, and even then it's not that bad.

Summertime is a whole other ball of wax though, heading south it can back up to the light for a few miles.

I've been stuck there for 20-30 minutes coming home from K in April/May. Same for that bridge in Whitehall. Always Sunday afternoons/evenings. I can see how the mall would be less of an issue during the winter months since it's not enclosed. Would hate to see what it's like in the weekends leading up to Christmas, though. Would gladly risk the VT local tax collectors on 7 to avoid that mess.

BenedictGomez

I've been stuck there for 20-30 minutes coming home from K in April/May.

It can be even worse in the warm months. I dont go to Vermont much in the summer, but when I do I typically take the Lake Champlain bridge and avoid that spot on Sunday.

Domeskier

It can be even worse in the warm months. I dont go to Vermont much in the summer, but when I do I typically take the Lake Champlain bridge and avoid that spot on Sunday.

Fun. Never been to VT outside of ski season and don't feel like I'm missing much. I guess there's foliage in the fall...

cdskier

Fun. Never been to VT outside of ski season and don't feel like I'm missing much. I guess there's foliage in the fall...

Vermont is beautiful in the summer. In the summer I enjoy hiking up the mountains that I ski in the winter (and surrounding areas). Just sitting on my deck up there reading and drinking a beer or something is nice too.

Glenn

Vermont is beautiful in the summer. In the summer I enjoy hiking up the mountains that I ski in the winter (and surrounding areas). Just sitting on my deck up there reading and drinking a beer or something is nice too.

Agreed.

We thought we'd go up occasionally in the summer when we bought our little place. We're up there more than we thought we'd be. It's nice change of scenery.

catsup948

Overall $8.04 per day for 74 days so far. Berkshire East was free, 8 free at Gunstock and 4 skinning. Cost outside of free was a bit more than usual at $22.92 a day, 27 days at 16 different mountains.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone