• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Who obtained the best Cost/Day ratio this season?

Duncanator24

For those of you with season passes, I am curious if you did the math on the cost per day for this season. I always love to think about how great it is to be paying under $20 a day at some point in the season. It just makes skiing open to close feel even sweeter at that point. I've always wanted to keep track of how many runs I do per day and then run the cost out even further to a $/run figure. Or even a $/vertical feet or something fancy like that.

I got 29 days out of my pass at Sugarbush that I paid $350 for (including tax). So that works out to $12.07 per day. Even days where it rained the whole time and only like a dozen trails were open were totally worth that price! Just curious how low some people have gotten that figure.

And yeah, I enjoy math so that's why I am weird and constantly think about that crap haha.

xwhaler

I've been tracking cost/day since the 11-12 season. I do it also to see what my season length is (start to finish), provide some memories as when i keep the dates in a sheet it's easier to remember back on particular days. I also like to see how many different mtns I've been to each season.

11-12 $19.31/day 24 days 11 mtns
12-13 $20.09/day 16 days 11 mtns
13-14 $21.79/day 25 days 15 mtns
14-15 $19.77/day 36 days 20 mtns
15-16 $19.31/day 25 days 12 mtns
16-17 $17.12/day 48 days 14 mtns

I have 2-3 more days of skiing this coming wknd which will get me at or just above 50 days and just under $17/day.
Having the $249 Ragged season pass helped a lot as I got 19 days on that pass. Joining the CM Adult Race League also helped the cost/day as that was $149 for 9 night sessions.

I'm also getting some "free" days this spring on my 17-18 Peaks pass.

cdskier

Mine will most likely be in the $12-13 range per day for my Sugarbush pass. I'm hoping to hit somewhere in the mid 40s for number of days and the pass was $500 before tax from what I remember.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm into this season $499 for my pass, $20 BW ticket, 3 canned goods and 1 four pack of Stoneface IPA.

42 days in, so as of today my lift ticket cost is $12.36 + a spoonful of corn and a gulp of IPA per outing.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

KustyTheKlown

i did pretty good this year

max pass ($530 after a few referrals) + ski vt 5 pack ($205) + one liftopia day at jay for $40 = $775

45 days of skiing so far, will probably eke out 2-3 more - $775/47 = $16.48

xlr8r

Considering I average only about 20 days per year, this year was my lowest average cost per day since I started tracking. I spent $599 on max Pass and that's it. 20 days makes it $29.95 per day, I also track runs and at 424 for the year it works out to $1.41 per run

my tracking history
16/17-20 days-29.95/day-1.41/run
15/16-15 days-46.60/day-2.23/run
14/15-22 days-35.31/day-1.69/run
13/14-20 days-38.99/day-1.91/run
12/13-24 days-37.21/day-1.96/run
11/12-18 days-41.40/day-2.07/run
10/11-22 days-30.93/day-1.56/run

bdfreetuna

Tahoe jacked up my average, but I didn't pay to ski or travel to Telluride. Averaged probably $40/day which would be more like $30/day if I only skied Northeast. Content with those numbers for the freedom to ski a variety of places on short notice.

However if we figure gas into the equation I start doing a lot better-- I have a company gas card with no restrictions

fbrissette

Jay peak adult family pass - early bird at 649$

48 days so far - 13.52$ per day. Should get at least 6 more days, so this should go down to 12.02$ per day.

Duncanator24

Tahoe jacked up my average, but I didn't pay to ski or travel to Telluride. Averaged probably $40/day which would be more like $30/day if I only skied Northeast. Content with those numbers for the freedom to ski a variety of places on short notice.

However if we figure gas into the equation I start doing a lot better-- I have a company gas card with no restrictions

Haha figuring other expenses into the equation makes it way too complicated. Sure those numbers are important for a full budget structure to try to find a truly frugal solution to skiing. But then its comparing apples to oranges.

fbrissette

Haha figuring other expenses into the equation makes it way too complicated. Sure those numbers are important for a full budget structure to try to find a truly frugal solution to skiing. But then its comparing apples to oranges.

Agreed. If I factor in the ski condo, my 13$ per day does not look so good anymore.

Duncanator24

Agreed. If I factor in the ski condo, my 13$ per day does not look so good anymore.

It would be even more fun to do all of that math to find out who is "the most frugal skiier". But then everyone would beat by some guy who found a mountain he can hike every day and sleep in a tent and scavenge for food. Plus his skiis are of course made from DIY wood planks.

Jully

Gas is huge. I track my gas to make myself depressed. I'm $18.41 a day for lift tickets, but then another $450 for gas over 44 days to this point sucks.

KustyTheKlown

if we are getting into total expenses, my big two week/12 ski day western trip this year was crazy cheap.

all max pass, so the ski days were ~$14/day ($14 is my cost per day on max pass alone) - $14 x 12 = $168
flight to denver = free (credit card miles utilized)
flights denver>bozeman, bozeman>newark = $400 (thanks alaska airlines)
my share of a rental car in colorado = $200
my share of a ski in ski out at winter park for 5 nights = $300 (crazy deal)
my share of a condo in silverthorne for 2 nights = $120
my share of a ski in ski out at big sky for 3 nights = $190
a motel in bozeman for 2 nights = $120
miscellaneous expenses (ground transit, ski tune ups, weed, etc) = $300

i don't count food because i eat no matter where i am and what i'm doing. food here was probably cheaper than normal because we cooked in almost every night. no restaurants.

$1798 for 12 days of skiing at winter park, copper, and big sky.

BenedictGomez

If you don't count food because you eat no matter where you are you shouldn't count weed either ;)

Well if you want to get really picky, his "free flights" cost at least $20 each, because you still have to pay the taxes. I'd like to know which airline he flew that didnt make him pay for bags though. I get my 1st bag free on United, but they still make me pay $70 RT for the second bag. Grrrrr..... So my "free flight" to Denver is still going to cost me $92. Airlines started charging for bags when oil went crazy high, notice those baggage fees didnt get removed when oil prices came back down. Grrrrrr x 2.......

KustyTheKlown

Well if you want to get really picky, his "free flights" cost at least $20 each, because you still have to pay the taxes. I'd like to know which airline he flew that didnt make him pay for bags though. I get my 1st bag free on United, but they still make me pay $70 RT for the second bag. Grrrrr..... So my "free flight" to Denver is still going to cost me $92. Airlines started charging for bags when oil went crazy high, notice those baggage fees didnt get removed when oil prices came back down. Grrrrrr x 2.......

i flew out on american, first class (first time ever, pretty sweet), free bags.
i did have to pay something like $75 total for the bags on the alaska flights, and neglected to include that above. they take the ski bag and boot bag as one item. and then all i have is my back pack carry on.

Duncanator24

I find it interesting how baggage works. From what I have read, you can stuff anything you want in the ski bag but nothing but boots and helmet in the boot bag. Then of course it just needs to fit within the weight limit to count as "1 bag". You could probably fit all of your gear in a ski bag and then a roll-aboard carryon and backpack for everything else. Anyone test out that theory? I could just buy a larger ski bag if that is the case.