• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay Peak, Saturday 04/08/2017

nkLottery

A bit late to the game, and with few pictures. Saturday I chased a vague snow rumor up at Jay Peak. I'm in Rhode Island, can never tell if a 'projected foot' in April is worthwhile to make the drive. Holy hell it was... between blower snow and whatever it was that fell there was easily 1 to 1.5 feet of great snow out there across the mountain. Very light crowds too which was a treat, especially because Tram and Flyer weren't running. Bonnie and Jet didn't get too crowded.
And let me tell you that the Goods were in the Woods. Just check out the few pics I'm attaching here. I was lapping fresh runs on Kitz Woods/Hell's Woods, Staircase/Everglade, Deliverance, Timbuktu right on the boundary. Just crushing fresh lines top to bottom in these glades, with some minor bushwhacking involved. Canyonland for some reason was attracting a lot of riders and was uncharacteristically skiied out, bumped up as hell so I only did that one once. In the morning I even got some fresh tracks on The Jet which is rare. Anyhow I'm really glad I made the round trip day trip from RI, it was one of the best Jay days (and maybe Glade days period) I've had anywhere, anytime. Certainly in April!

IMG_20170408_091535.jpgIMG_20170408_111500.jpgIMG_20170408_094656.jpg

bdfreetuna

For whatever it's worth, I believe you ;)

The 2 days I had at Jay this year were probably #1 and #2 best days of the whole season. The drive kind of sucks but it's doable. It sucks to go up and not have the upper mountain available unexpectedly, but as you said it's totally possible to have an epic day without it.

The quality of the terrain just off the Jet puts a lot of other entire mountains to shame.

nkLottery

AHHH I'm not sure what I can do for more concrete proof :wink:! I'm not too trigger happy with my camera and tend to only take pics of stellar snow in random places! Jay is just great. For me one of my 2 favorite places right there with Smuggs

Whitey

Anyhow I'm really glad I made the round trip day trip from RI, it was one of the best Jay days (and maybe Glade days period) I've had anywhere, anytime. Certainly in April!

Holy sh!t, that's a day trip. How the hell did you stay awake for the whole trip back to RI? When I did a round trip/day trip from Boston many moons ago I was young and stupid and was damn near passing out from about Concord NH south to Boston. Had to slap myself in the face most of the way down route 93 just to stay awake.

MG Skier

Holy sh!t, that's a day trip. How the hell did you stay awake for the whole trip back to RI? When I did a round trip/day trip from Boston many moons ago I was young and stupid and was damn near passing out from about Concord NH south to Boston. Had to slap myself in the face most of the way down route 93 just to stay awake.

Been there done that. Not sure I would day trip that one alone anymore. :-o