• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Aspen / KSL acquired Mammoth Resorts

drjeff

If this (and all that Vail Resorts has acquired the last few years as well) works long term, great!!

If not, the potential collapses could make what happened to ASC 10-15yrs ago look mighty small!!! 😨😨

That's a LOT of zero's behind the first number that Aspen/KSL has added to their liabilities column of their profit/loss sheet the last few days!!!

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

dlague

Wow! Just saw this on Aspen Snowmass FB Page

In case Monday's news wasn't enough, Mammoth Resorts (operators of Mammoth, June, Bear and Snow Summit) today announced that it has entered into an agreement to be acquired by affiliates of the Aspen Skiing Company and KSL.

snoseek

If they ever linked this all up on a pass this would blow the fucking doors off the epic pass. I would easily pay a grand for this pass providing the ability to travel. This is huge, mammoth is one impressive hill....probably my favorite California mountain.

Jully

If they ever linked this all up on a pass this would blow the fucking doors off the epic pass. I would easily pay a grand for this pass providing the ability to travel. This is huge, mammoth is one impressive hill....probably my favorite California mountain.

Mammoth, Intrawest, Aspen. Pretty excellent combo. As with most multipass products, the western component is substantially better than the eastern. Right now, all Aspen has back east is Stratton, Tremblant, and Snowshoe (kinda). Correct? One more east coast location makes the pass better. This is what made the Max pass the best, IMO, was the number of east coast resorts (pretty good resorts too).

snoseek

Mammoth, Intrawest, Aspen. Pretty excellent combo. As with most multipass products, the western component is substantially better than the eastern. Right now, all Aspen has back east is Stratton, Tremblant, and Snowshoe (kinda). Correct? One more east coast location makes the pass better. This is what made the Max pass the best, IMO, was the number of east coast resorts (pretty good resorts too).

If they figured out jay it would be an easy sell for a whole lot of people.

dlague

I do not know about blowing the doors off but would be very competitive. In Colorado, Aspen, Steamboat, Winter Park are a nice combo but not that great for day trippers. The Epic Pass has the whole Summit county thing going which is manageable for day trippers.

Neither have a real solution for Utah outside of Vail/Park City. Vail has a few Tahoe resorts where the Mammoth Resorts are spread out with two smaller but highly utilized ski areas in Southern CA. Both have limited East Cost presence. Vail does have Whistler another huge resort.

rtjcbrown

Good thing the California drought is officially over, or this deal doesn't happen.

Smellytele

I do not know about blowing the doors off but would be very competitive. In Colorado, Aspen, Steamboat, Winter Park are a nice combo but not that great for day trippers. The Epic Pass has the whole Summit county thing going which is manageable for day trippers.

Neither have a real solution for Utah outside of Vail/Park City. Vail has a few Tahoe resorts where the Mammoth Resorts are spread out with two smaller but highly utilized ski areas in Southern CA. Both have limited East Cost presence. Vail does have Whistler another huge resort.

KSL also has Squaw/Alpine Meadows doesn't it?

Jully

Neither have a real solution for Utah outside of Vail/Park City.

That's why, if SkiCo is really trying to compete with Epic nationally (which it may or may not be), I think doing something with Powdr or Boyne would be highly beneficial. Probably not a merger, but some kind of reciprocity. Powdr would add Copper in CO bolstering the I-70 component while Boyne has the only thing resembling a competitor in the Utah area.

Competing with Park City I feel is really tough though. It's too convenient and the name carries so much weight.

KSL also has Squaw/Alpine Meadows doesn't it?

Yes.

snoseek

Winter park is a whole lot easier to deal with day tripping than breck.

4aprice

That's why, if SkiCo is really trying to compete with Epic nationally (which it may or may not be), I think doing something with Powdr or Boyne would be highly beneficial. Probably not a merger, but some kind of reciprocity. Powdr would add Copper in CO bolstering the I-70 component while Boyne has the only thing resembling a competitor in the Utah area. Competing with Park City I feel is really tough though. It's too convenient and the name carries so much weight.

Brighton (Boyne) and Solitude which has Intrawest connections via their village development would be the ticket, though they are owned by Deer Valley. (What if Aspen scored DV?) The big question is what happens to the Rocky Mountain Super Pass? If Aspen plans to copy Vail then Copper would be a staple for a local pass for metro Denver. Not a big fan of Mountain Collective so I hope they have alternative plans. Will enjoy and take advantage of next year on Max Pass then see what products next March bring. Hope an Aspen - Boyne relationship is in the works.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Jully

Brighton (Boyne) and Solitude which has Intrawest connections via their village development would be the ticket, though they are owned by Deer Valley. (What if Aspen scored DV?) The big question is what happens to the Rocky Mountain Super Pass? If Aspen plans to copy Vail then Copper would be a staple for a local pass for metro Denver. Not a big fan of Mountain Collective so I hope they have alternative plans. Will enjoy and take advantage of next year on Max Pass then see what products next March bring. Hope an Aspen - Boyne relationship is in the works.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

If Aspen scored DV that would really make waves (not that anything that's happened so far hasn't made waves). Not a huge fan of the MC either. I was worried they were going to do something with that after the Intrawest deal, but with Mammoth too, I think something bigger is in the works.