Aspen / KSL acquired Mammoth Resorts - Page 9

AlpineZone

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mbedle View Post
    Sorry - miss understood you, thought you were saying that DV was trying to sell to Boyne. Given everything that DV put into the place, I highly doubt that Boyne is in a position to purchase it. Especially if they couldn't get funding for it before at a cheaper price.
    Agreed. Not sure who would step up to buy it other than Boyne or maybe Vail if they could ever get the Ski Link done (fat chance).
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Boyne may have the capital now after Crystal was bought out of Boyne ownership.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by machski View Post
    Boyne may have the capital now after Crystal was bought out of Boyne ownership.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app
    Did Boyne own Crystal or was it a REIT/lease operation like most of Boyne's resorts?
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by thetrailboss View Post
    Agreed. Not sure who would step up to buy it other than Boyne or maybe Vail if they could ever get the Ski Link done (fat chance).
    When the owners of DV put Solitude on Max, they did not include Deer Valley itself. Maybe its more valuable as a partnership with Brighton as it is now on Max. Speaking for myself, we did not even go up LCC (PC valley either) on our week long trip out there last year.

I would love to see Boyne operate both and break into the Colorado scene some how. Their east coast portfolio is better then either Aspen's or Vail's right now IMO. Ah, that perfect travel/ticket combination that's so elusive (you know the one that has all the areas you like at the right price?). March will be interesting when all these new products start to roll out.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Quote Originally Posted by thetrailboss View Post
    Did Boyne own Crystal or was it a REIT/lease operation like most of Boyne's resorts?
    They owned it outright.

Looks like Crystal mountain wasn't actually sold to John Kircher, he was the CEO in Boyne Resorts (His dad started the business). He acquired full ownership of Crystal by giving up his shares in Boyne Resorts.

Quote Originally Posted by mbedle View Post
    Looks like Crystal mountain wasn't actually sold to John Kircher, he was the CEO in Boyne Resorts (His dad started the business). He acquired full ownership of Crystal by giving up his shares in Boyne Resorts.
    Interesting.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by 4aprice View Post
    When the owners of DV put Solitude on Max, they did not include Deer Valley itself. Maybe its more valuable as a partnership with Brighton as it is now on Max. Speaking for myself, we did not even go up LCC (PC valley either) on our week long trip out there last year.

I would love to see Boyne operate both and break into the Colorado scene some how. Their east coast portfolio is better then either Aspen's or Vail's right now IMO. Ah, that perfect travel/ticket combination that's so elusive (you know the one that has all the areas you like at the right price?). March will be interesting when all these new products start to roll out.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
    While I would have to agree in some sense regarding Boyne and their East Coast presence, some might argue that Stowe for Vail and Stratton and Tremblant for KSL are better oriented for where the market is. Boyne is better suited for the Boston Market. Sugarloaf is not a day trip for 99% so they rely on vacationers and to some degree Sunday River is in the same boat with about 75% of their visitors. Loon (Boston Mountain) is the best positioned since it is drive-able for a day trip from the MA border and some might even argue from Boston (a bit long) but similar to day trips I have made to Stowe from Concord, NH.

Stowe is well positioned to reach several markets (Montreal, NY, Boston) and they have a great town near by as well as Burlington not that far away. Stowe is about equidistant from Boston as Sunday River - I probably would choose Stowe.

Stratton is very well positioned for the NY Market and like Stowe pretty good for the Boston market. Temblant is very well positioned for the Montreal market but they get visitors from all over and they to have a fantastic town at the base - probably the best out of all the resorts mentioned.

While Boyne my have one great resort with Sugarloaf and two decent resorts with Sunday River and Loon, Vail got one of New England's crown jewels and I bet they are not done yet. KSL well they got one of Quebec's crown jewels and picked up one of the busier resorts in New England with Stratton (they can have it IMO).
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by dlague View Post
    While I would have to agree in some sense regarding Boyne and their East Coast presence, some might argue that Stowe for Vail and Stratton and Tremblant for KSL are better oriented for where the market is. Boyne is better suited for the Boston Market. Sugarloaf is not a day trip for 99% so they rely on vacationers and to some degree Sunday River is in the same boat with about 75% of their visitors. Loon (Boston Mountain) is the best positioned since it is drive-able for a day trip from the MA border and some might even argue from Boston (a bit long) but similar to day trips I have made to Stowe from Concord, NH.

Stowe is well positioned to reach several markets (Montreal, NY, Boston) and they have a great town near by as well as Burlington not that far away. Stowe is about equidistant from Boston as Sunday River - I probably would choose Stowe.

Stratton is very well positioned for the NY Market and like Stowe pretty good for the Boston market. Temblant is very well positioned for the Montreal market but they get visitors from all over and they to have a fantastic town at the base - probably the best out of all the resorts mentioned.

While Boyne my have one great resort with Sugarloaf and two decent resorts with Sunday River and Loon, Vail got one of New England's crown jewels and I bet they are not done yet. KSL well they got one of Quebec's crown jewels and picked up one of the busier resorts in New England with Stratton (they can have it IMO).
    I'm assuming what Alex was saying was that he preferred Boyne's eastern offerings to KSL and Vail. I have to agree with him. Stowe certainly beats anything Boyne offers (or anyone else offers in NE for that matter) in a direct comparison, but the combo of SR and SL in Maine (fewer people) have it beat IMO. If it were JUST Sunday River or JUST SL, then that would be a different story for me at least. I agree with you about Stratton haha.

Overall I'd like to see these companies all pick up just one more resort somewhere in NE to make it something I can really get excited about (and be better than Peaks for east coast stuff). I do not think that is going to happen since all the money is focused out west.

Boyne and Powdr have a great thing going with their collaboration on MAX (and also still a solid east coast and decent west coast offering together), I wonder if they'll upgrade from the MAX to another type of combo pass offering next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Jully View Post
    I'm assuming what Alex was saying was that he preferred Boyne's eastern offerings to KSL and Vail. I have to agree with him. Stowe certainly beats anything Boyne offers (or anyone else offers in NE for that matter) in a direct comparison, but the combo of SR and SL in Maine (fewer people) have it beat IMO. If it were JUST Sunday River or JUST SL, then that would be a different story for me at least. I agree with you about Stratton haha.

Overall I'd like to see these companies all pick up just one more resort somewhere in NE to make it something I can really get excited about (and be better than Peaks for east coast stuff). I do not think that is going to happen since all the money is focused out west.

Boyne and Powdr have a great thing going with their collaboration on MAX (and also still a solid east coast and decent west coast offering together), I wonder if they'll upgrade from the MAX to another type of combo pass offering next year.
    The only problem I have with Sugarloaf is the non skiing part of it. There is not really much around there. At least Sunday River has Bethel but it is not a walking town like Stowe or Tremblant have.

While I am out west now, I too would like to see more eastern resorts get picked up to make things more compelling for the Northeast, but which resorts would make the most sense?
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

Thread Information