• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

A Tuckerman Ravine Guide (for noobs)?

Jcb890

I'd like to pick the collective AZ brain if you guys don't mind as I know some of you have been skiing or riding up at Tuckerman Ravine before. I have not done it before and am really trying to dumb things down for myself. I am most likely over-thinking things, but that's just what I do. Anyways...

I know of the Mt. Washington Avalanche Advisory website:
http://www.mountwashingtonavalanchecenter.org/advisory/

What does one really need to make the trek and do a couple/few runs? I have heard from some you need crampons to do it. Is this in regard to walking up the trail itself to the ravine or for climbing the bowl to get to your run?

I don't have a splitboard (no skinning), hiking boots, crampons, or trekking poles, so I'm a bit worried, but maybe I don't need to be. I also don't have (nor have I ever used) an ice pick, though this time of year maybe that isn't needed.

I have heard it is about a 2-3 hour hike from where you park up to the base of the ravine and then 30 minutes - 1 hour hiking up the bowl depending on the line you want to do. Do you park at the Pinkham Notch visitor center down the street from Wildcat?

I think I am honestly more curious/concerned about the hike up and back than actually riding the bowl. I have confidence in my ability to ride down (I think!)... I met a NH local in Big Sky who said the runs off the Headwater chair there were similar to some of the runs up at Tuckerman. Out of curiosity, are there any other in-bounds trails in New England which come close to the steepness of Tuckerman?

I am going to poke around more on the Time4Tuckerman Forum for more info and reports, but there doesn't appear to be a whole lot of recent activity on there. http://www.timefortuckerman.com/forums/

Lastly, do any AZers have any trips to Tuckerman planned coming up?

crank

Been a long time since I hiked and skied TUcks. All you really need are hiking boots. As I remember it was about a 3-mile hike up the trail to Hojo's, a little lodge/cabin where we stashed our packs and hiking boots and changed into ski boots. Then about a half-mile of steep, basically steps cut into the slope, with our skis shouldered hike up the ravine.

With today's packs I would probably use my smaller touring pack with it's ski carry system to take my skis all the way up.

No need for crampons or an ice ax. Unless you are planning on climbing and riding when it is frozen which I do not recommend!

I think poles would be nice to have for hike up the ravine. You could get some of those adjustable/collapsable trekking poles and strap them to a pack for the ride down.

We skied Big Sky earlier this season and I would agree that the steepness is similar to Headwaters.

Regarding hike down - you will ride the Sherburne trail down. (google it) The later in the season you go the farther you will have to hike out when the snow runs out. Last time I was there it was a good snow year and I did in mid-May. Was able to ski about 2/3 of the way back down to the parking area before giving up and hiking.

Last edited:

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
I'd like to pick the collective AZ brain if you guys don't mind as I know some of you have been skiing or riding up at Tuckerman Ravine before. I have not done it before and am really trying to dumb things down for myself. I am most likely over-thinking things, but that's just what I do. Anyways...

I know of the Mt. Washington Avalanche Advisory website:
http://www.mountwashingtonavalanchecenter.org/advisory/

What does one really need to make the trek and do a couple/few runs? I have heard from some you need crampons to do it. Is this in regard to walking up the trail itself to the ravine or for climbing the bowl to get to your run?

I don't have a splitboard (no skinning), hiking boots, crampons, or trekking poles, so I'm a bit worried, but maybe I don't need to be. I also don't have (nor have I ever used) an ice pick, though this time of year maybe that isn't needed.

I have heard it is about a 2-3 hour hike from where you park up to the base of the ravine and then 30 minutes - 1 hour hiking up the bowl depending on the line you want to do. Do you park at the Pinkham Notch visitor center down the street from Wildcat?

I think I am honestly more curious/concerned about the hike up and back than actually riding the bowl. I have confidence in my ability to ride down (I think!)... I met a NH local in Big Sky who said the runs off the Headwater chair there were similar to some of the runs up at Tuckerman. Out of curiosity, are there any other in-bounds trails in New England which come close to the steepness of Tuckerman?

I am going to poke around more on the Time4Tuckerman Forum for more info and reports, but there doesn't appear to be a whole lot of recent activity on there. http://www.timefortuckerman.com/forums/

Lastly, do any AZers have any trips to Tuckerman planned coming up?

T4T has a really good section on what to take along you shouldn't need crampons ,cat tracks or micro spikes on your boots should be good enough .There are a lot of dangers , undermine snow , falling ice . You just need to error on the side of caution. Make sure you hydrate , I cramped up really bad just before making a run last time I was there. Just above hermit lake is a hand pump well . Stop and drink some more before heading up to the bowl. Hike where you ski is probably the best advice .

To quote Yoda after Luke said I'm not afraid. "Hmmmm you will be "
It's scary good fun !

2Planker

Sure ! I've done it 35 times. Always on a weekday in Mid to late May

Jcb890

Been a long time since I hiked and skied TUcks. All you really need are hiking boots. As I remember it was about a 3-mile hike up the trail to Hojo's, a little lodge/cabin where we stashed our packs and hiking boots and changed into ski boots. Then about a half-mile of steep, basically steps cut into the slope, with our skis shouldered hike up the ravine.

With today's packs I would probably use my smaller touring pack with it's ski carry system to take my skis all the way up.

No need for crampons or an ice ax. Unless you are planning on climbing and riding when it is frozen which I do not recommend!

I think poles would be nice to have for hike up the ravine. You could get some of those adjustable/collapsable trekking poles and strap them to a pack for the ride down.

We skied Big Sky earlier this season and I would agree that the steepness is similar to Headwaters.

Regarding hike down - you will ride the Sherburne trail down. (google it) The later in the season you go the farther you will have to hike out when the snow runs out. Last time I was there it was a good snow year and I did in mid-May. Was able to ski about 2/3 of the way back down before giving up and hiking.
Thank you for the info. We are planning to go up this season (hopefully), so frozen conditions should not be a problem. I did hear from someone while at Killington last Saturday that it is best to go when the snow will re-freeze over night and then soften in the AM... he mentioned Saturday was probably a perfect day.

If we go this season, I probably won't have or get poles. I haven't done any other BC activities before, so don't have any of the equipment and was kind of hoping I could get my feet wet with Tuckerman and not have to invest in the necessary equipment. Then, if I like it, I'm sure I'll be researching splitboards shortly, lol!

That's good about the similar steepness to the Headwater chair. It scared me being up there and if I had an option, I may have backed out to be completely honest... but, I couldn't and I didn't. And I am glad I didn't. It was a lot of fun and the snow was great. It was a great challenge for me and was the steepest terrain I have ridden.

I will most likely go with my wife who will not ride the bowl, so we'll most likely just hike down the Sherburne trail together instead of riding it.

T4T has a really good section on what to take along you shouldn't need crampons ,cat tracks or micro spikes on your boots should be good enough .There are a lot of dangers , undermine snow , falling ice . You just need to error on the side of caution. Make sure you hydrate , I cramped up really bad just before making a run last time I was there. Just above hermit lake is a hand pump well . Stop and drink some more before heading up to the bowl. Hike where you ski is probably the best advice .

It's scary good fun !
Yeah, I am perusing T4T today and just registered also. I'll definitely do some digging on there to see what I can find.
We're pretty good about packing water, we usually over-pack when it comes to water (and everything else).

I'm sure if/when I get up there and look down/get ready to make a run, I'll be scared. Actually, judging from photos and videos, the climb up might be pretty scary too! I won't lie, the runs off of the Headwater chair at Big Sky I mentioned above scared the shit out of me. I enjoyed the feeling though as I couldn't remember the last time I was legitimately scared about a run. Like you said, scary good fun!

Sure ! I've done it 35 times. Always on a weekday in Mid to late May
We're Weekend Warriors unfortunately, weekdays are very rarely in play for us to go out and ride.

Smellytele

Last weekend I saw at least 5 people hiking up the bowl that slipped and slid all the way to the bottom. a few lost their snow boards and the boards became missiles flying down the slope. Skis sometimes stop Boards do not.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Last weekend I saw at least 5 people hiking up the bowl that slipped and slid all the way to the bottom. a few lost their snow boards and the boards became missiles flying down the slope. Skis sometimes stop Boards do not.

Their like sails too if it's windy . I went up further than I should have on an icy day . There was a guy hiking behind me when a wind gust came up (easily 50mph) I put my face in the slope to sheild from being pelted by ice pieces and when it stopped i turned around and they guy was gone ! The wind grabbed his board sent him 100yds

I have lots of respect for anyone who can board tucks, 2 edges are challenging enough.

Smellytele

Their like sails too if it's windy . I went up further than I should have on an icy day . There was a guy hiking behind me when a wind gust came up (easily 50mph) I put my face in the slope to sheild from being pelted by ice pieces and when it stopped i turned around and they guy was gone ! The wind grabbed his board sent him 100yds

I have lots of respect for anyone who can board tucks, 2 edges are challenging enough.

They seem to skid out a lot on the steep stuff on the heal edge

Jcb890

These two posts are what has me worried about not having a pack I can strap my board to...
It also has me wondering if I should use my smaller 163 instead of the 169, but I don't think 6 cm is going to make much difference in terms of being a sail in the wind.

I'd also rather not slip and slide all the way to the bottom while climbing up, that sounds like it would suck.

thetrailboss

Staff member

It's scary good fun !

I second the Time for Tuckerman board and site.

Also, you can always ask the ranger on duty for advice. Either at the Joe Dodge Lodge or at HoJos.

DoublePlanker

Danger is all around there. I remember the runout below the bowl having a single pole marking the end of the trail where the snow was undermined by a torrent of water. I'm not sure I would have been able to stop had I been going full speed. It was a complete death trap.

So be aware that many hazards are NOT marked or minimally marked.

Jcb890

Where are the best weather reports for the area? Should I just look at weather for Wildcat and go off of that? Judging by that, Sunday might be a good day. The Mt. Washington Avalanche Center reports include weather, but only for the current day and reports are posted around 7 AM it looks like when I'd be leaving home much earlier than 7. I'd probably shoot to start hiking up to the ravine by around 7.

EDIT - never mind, found this page on the Mt. Washington Avalanche Center site:
http://www.mountwashingtonavalanchecenter.org/information/weather/

thetrailboss

Staff member
Where are the best weather reports for the area? Should I just look at weather for Wildcat and go off of that? Judging by that, Sunday might be a good day. The Mt. Washington Avalanche Center reports include weather, but only for the current day and reports are posted around 7 AM it looks like when I'd be leaving home much earlier than 7. I'd probably shoot to start hiking up to the ravine by around 7.

Mount Washington Observatory gives great forecasts.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub

Best site for weather: https://www.mountwashington.org/experience-the-weather/mount-washington-weather.aspx

Still reigning champ for Tuckerman's info: http://timefortuckerman.com/ ; http://www.timefortuckerman.com/forums/

Smellytele

You are being cautious and I understand but it is a 3-3:30 hr hike to the top of the bowl plus 20 minutes per run down. If you do another run it is 30-45 minutes back up. Then if you can ski out it is 45 minutes down or an hour or so hike if you can't. The later in the year you go the more danger there can be with cervices and ice fall. Cervices were starting to form on the lip and under the cliffs across the face last week. I usually try to pick a day the is mostly sunny to go. It isn't much fun when it is a frozen mess but that said if it is too warm then things get too wet cement like. I have hiked up before and only skied below the cliff lines and sometimes not at all. Each day is different up there and you have to play it by ear. Hillman's highway is also a nice option and the longest run but not technically in the bowl. the more I sit here and think about it I have done it so many times (25-30 times) there are things I take for granted that someone who hasn't done it wouldn't know.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com

Rowsdower

These two posts are what has me worried about not having a pack I can strap my board to...
It also has me wondering if I should use my smaller 163 instead of the 169, but I don't think 6 cm is going to make much difference in terms of being a sail in the wind.

I'd also rather not slip and slide all the way to the bottom while climbing up, that sounds like it would suck.

If you don't mind me asking, but whats your height/weight? 169 seems too big for me. I'm 6ft 135lbs and ride a 156 K2 Raygun, normal width, in powder/all mountain and haven't had any issues in all types of conditions. Newer boards you can ride several centimeters shorter than you could 10-15 years ago. Plus this time of year you aren't gonna need a super long board for corn snow. The extra weight won't be welcome on the hike either.

Also, grab a pack! Seriously, its worth the investment and you can get a decent day-pack for under $100 online. Not just for carrying your board but you can strap on collapsable poles on the way down.

As far as snowboarders not ripping Tucks as much, I have to agree. There are way too few snowboarders willing to take on difficult and variable conditions and terrain like Tuckerman's. You can definitely do it though, it just requires stamina and good technical skill. Know when/where to make your turns. Know how to absorb bumpy terrain, and get used to making quick turns! You basically have to hop from edge to edge but if your legs can handle it you can definitely rip it!