Epicski dead all content to disappear - Page 4

AlpineZone

Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dlague View Post
    I am somewhat amazed with all of this. I have accounts at Epicski, TGR and obviously here. I have participated on all three and find that this forum has the greatest sense of community I am sure due to the focus. I started using Epicski more this season but it has felt generic. I wonder if activity has slowed down over the years? I will have to check out Pugski.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app
    I have an account on PugSki though I may have posted once. I lurk frequently though and from what I can tell the community is nice over there. Hard to compare to AZ, especially as it is based over a larger geographic area and I don't participate.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd View Post
    I'm disappointed in this. I visit less than I used to and rarely posted but that's a stunning amount of content to lose.
    Agreed. I'm just dismayed at the content. Epicski was usually 3 out of the first 5 hits for anything I googled that was skiing related (mostly gear).

Epicski has such a massive repository of information, I wish they could keep it around for reference, it's a shame to see that all disappear. I can't help but wonder what's happening in the background.
    2017/2018 Days - 88
    2016/2017 Days - 34
    2015/2016 Days - 57
    2014/2015 Days - 58
    2013/2014 Days - 47

It's possible that Vail Resorts has other plans for the url, but nobody knows for sure. Mostly since Mtn News (owned by VR) acquired site it's been operated with benign neglect over several years. Volunteers and very low pay part timers running it. I'm sure it was a minor waste of money for Mtn News and they decided to pull plug after facing a somewhat costly conversion charge due to platform issues. Hard to believe it couldn't be saved and moneytized by savvy VR IT person.

Nick, if you're on here, it might not hurt to go over to Epic and recruit for this site.

More users=more advertisements clicked on=more $$
    2017/2018 Days - 88
    2016/2017 Days - 34
    2015/2016 Days - 57
    2014/2015 Days - 58
    2013/2014 Days - 47

Quote Originally Posted by skiNEwhere View Post
    Nick, if you're on here, it might not hurt to go over to Epic and recruit for this site.

How about fix the mobile issues and such first?
    My couch might pull out but I send it.

Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    Unlike AZ which uses a pretty mainstream forum product that you can use on essentially any reputable host, Epicski was apparently using a hosted platform known as Huddler that could only be run on Huddler's own hosting platform.
    Thanks for the detailed explanation, that makes sense now.

Quote Originally Posted by dlague View Post
    I have accounts at Epicski, TGR and obviously here. I have participated on all three and find that this forum has the greatest sense of community I am sure due to the focus.
    Back in 2011 when I was looking for a ski forum, I knew I only had time for one, and this was my analysis:

TGR - A total **** show of nastiness and immaturity sprinkled with decent ski/snowboard info. Seemed kindof western focused. I couldnt deal with every other thread getting derailed after post #12 with some long-standing personal squabble, potty talk, or random idiocy.

EpicSki - I liked the functionality of this forum the best, it seemed to have a great community, was a bit more western focused, but there was still a lot of eastern stuff on there. Lots of folks knowledgeable about gear, reviews, etc... Seemed good.

AZ - By far the smallest, and thus the least content, but what content that existed was more relevant (~90% eastern), and most everyone seemed polite and mature. I went here (obviously).
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Maybe Vail decided that EpicSki diminished the brand of their EpicMix thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Tin View Post
    How about fix the mobile issues and such first?
    Why does one preclude the other?

If all forums have to fix all their usability issues "first" before everything else, there wouldn't be any forums at all!

Where would you go to post your snarky remarks?

Quote Originally Posted by abc View Post
    Why does one preclude the other?

If all forums have to fix all their usability issues "first" before everything else, there wouldn't be any forums at all!

Where would you go to post your snarky remarks?
    Useless to go invite people if they cannot use the site from their phones/tablets, etc which most people have constant access to these days and already three times this week there was issues with this site.
    My couch might pull out but I send it.

Quote Originally Posted by skiNEwhere View Post

I thought Greg was the promoter? His promotional posts over on TGR are legendary.

Thread Information