• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

May/June Late Season Skiing

benski

Its better to stay on the mountain now as the road can get crazy and there is no bus anymore. The lines for the Tram have been insane as 12 inch dumps each night have brought the locals out in droves..but its so worth it. Check out the Cliff lodge deals. I think they are under 200 a night including lift ticket. Doesn't get any cheaper. You don't need to get off the MT as General Grits at Snowbird has some food. But if you want to rent a car its about 230 for the week, 4WD will double that which you would need if it dumps. I go up every December and stay at the Cliff and never need to go back down.

The thing about staying at the cliffs is you have to have ski area food, cereal or cup of noodles at every meal. All the rooms have for food is a fridge and a keurig.

jaytrem

Squaw is running Shirley lake chair for summer season which is not overly exciting terrain but hey its skiing.
Not sure about mammoth but I bet it will be skiing a whole lot better.

Closer to LA too. Given the choice I'd go Mammoth over Squaw at that time. Only been there in mid-april and it was still 100%. But even if it's just the gondola and a couple lifts around it, it's much more interesting than what Squaw keeps open.

Duncanator24

I skied there in late May one year, had a great time. Most of the skiing was up top and to the right. The primary lifts were Granite, Shirley and Gold Coast. It was accessed by the tram and they also had the Mountain Run open so you could ski back to the base. The tram was on a set schedule (like every 20 or 30 minutes). So if you ski to the base you might want to time it properly. This is no doubt the year to do it with the super deep snow pack. Probably can't go wrong with either place. I do see Mammoth's open terrain is basically the center of the mountain. That's 12 open lifts and a ton of acres. Not sure how much terrain both places will close by then just due to lack of crowds.

If Granite runs, that would definitely be plenty enough terrain to me. Not sure if just the Blues off of Shirley would be worth it, but I would have fun either way I suppose. What's the weather like that time of the year? Obviously its not going to snow but I am totally unfamiliar with West Coast weather. Will it be like 60s on the mountain?

Duncanator24

Closer to LA too. Given the choice I'd go Mammoth over Squaw at that time. Only been there in mid-april and it was still 100%. But even if it's just the gondola and a couple lifts around it, it's much more interesting than what Squaw keeps open.

Agreed, that makes sense. I have heard that from multiple sources that Mammoth is better in late late spring, plus the extra altitude should keep conditions in good shape. The only real plus to Squaw is the other things to do in the area of Tahoe.

Los

I don't know if this is appropriate to ask, but would anyone have a killington voucher or two they'd be willing to part with for compensation? I'd like to surprise my son with a bonus day at Killington, but I can't justify paying the window rates at this point...

If so, please PM me! Thank you!!

jaytrem

I don't know if this is appropriate to ask, but would anyone have a killington voucher or two they'd be willing to part with for compensation? I'd like to surprise my son with a bonus day at Killington, but I can't justify paying the window rates at this point...

No voucher to share, sorry. But just a reminder they do give 50% off weekdays and 25% off weekends if you show them a ticket or pass from this season. It says they keep the ticket though, so if you like to collect tickets (like I do) that may be a bit of a bummer.

Jcb890

No voucher to share, sorry. But just a reminder they do give 50% off weekdays and 25% off weekends if you show them a ticket or pass from this season. It says they keep the ticket though, so if you like to collect tickets (like I do) that may be a bit of a bummer.
What he said. Window rate appears to be $60, so I think it comes to $45 for Sat/Sun and $30 for a Friday.

jaytrem

Didn't even think to look, definitely the way to go if that's the weekend price.

Oh yeah, liftopia was my backup plan for yesterday but I managed to score a voucher earlier in the week. Can't believe I forgot that, must be getting old.

mikec142

I've read reports that Squaw might not close at all this season. They were talking about running the tram and having to hike a bit to the Shirley Lake area but keeping the SL area open. I skied there in February. I couldn't believe how much snow there was.

dlague

Still one hell of a day trip at 6+ with Mammoth being 6 or so hours away from LA. Getting to or from will take a good part of a day.

Duncanator24

Still one hell of a day trip at 6+ with Mammoth being 6 or so hours away from LA. Getting to or from will take a good part of a day.
Wouldn't be a day trip either way. Probably 4 days, 2 of which would be spent skiing, 2 would be driving and doing other stuff. Obviously Mammoth is closer and would probably have more snow. But I consider both just because with this season, I imagine I can't go wrong with either choice.

dlague

Wouldn't be a day trip either way. Probably 4 days, 2 of which would be spent skiing, 2 would be driving and doing other stuff. Obviously Mammoth is closer and would probably have more snow. But I consider both just because with this season, I imagine I can't go wrong with either choice.

I was kidding about the day trip. I suspected you would be doing something like you posted above. I think you are right can't go wrong either way.

SIKSKIER

Duncanator24

Quite the interesting article. Surpassing 700 inches of snow for the season is insane! I am officially booked for skiing there at Squaw June 3rd-4th. I will be sure to report how much of that snow is still standing. I am sure there will still be more snow there than I saw in Vermont all season.

And I would definitely ski in August if I lived nearby just for the spectacle of it.

snoseek

In just going to tour all summer I think. Leaving in 9 days.

Jcb890

I reached out to Squaw and Mammoth through the FB Messenger. Most mountains are really good about getting back to you quick. Mammoth has already responded, but Squaw has not.

RE - Mammoth:
Mammoth has said their hours will be changing in the next couple of weeks. Currently 8:30 - 4:00 daily, which will change possibly to 7:30 - 1:30 daily in a couple of weeks. The person on their FB Messenger couldn't confirm exactly when their hours will switch or the exact hours, but that was the estimate they gave me.

Duncanator24

I reached out to Squaw and Mammoth through the FB Messenger. Most mountains are really good about getting back to you quick. Mammoth has already responded, but Squaw has not.

RE - Mammoth:
Mammoth has said their hours will be changing in the next couple of weeks. Currently 8:30 - 4:00 daily, which will change possibly to 7:30 - 1:30 daily in a couple of weeks. The person on their FB Messenger couldn't confirm exactly when their hours will switch or the exact hours, but that was the estimate they gave me.

Hmm, thats odd but I guess it makes sense since the snow will basically just be mush later on in the day anyways. Hopefully lift tickets are pretty cheap thats the only part I havent quite figured out yet.