• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

MAX Pass 2017-18

Jully

Great stories - we all probably have many to tell. Some of what you are saying sounds familiar but 10 years ago. That is around the time my wife started going down black diamond trails - definitely was an interesting year. Started off with Twister at Pats Peak then Middle Trigger and Tiger at Gunstock, then Upper Sel's and Tommy's World Cup at Waterville - common theme all easy black diamond trails to build confidence. But later that season came off a head wall on Tight Line at Saddleback and did that run like 5 times in a row. That was the coolest experience to see her do that.

Agree. Great stories JCB890! Glad things worked out and the Big Sky experience didn't hurt her confidence or excitement about boarding.

DLague, things to look forward to with my girl in the future I hope.

Jcb890

It was in mine (boarding, I assume).
Yes, we both board. The only sport my wife ever got into was roller skating (roller derby to be exact), so I started off having her try skiing, but she hated how uncomfortable and cold the boots were. She wanted to try snowboarding and hasn't looked back. I pushed for her to try more lessons, but she preferred having me as a teacher. Next season maybe I'll invest in a lesson for her to help her maybe advance her skills and I have been thinking of doing an advanced lesson myself to really try to master carving techniques.
Great stories - we all probably have many to tell. Some of what you are saying sounds familiar but 10 years ago. That is around the time my wife started going down black diamond trails - definitely was an interesting year. Started off with Twister at Pats Peak then Middle Trigger and Tiger at Gunstock, then Upper Sel's and Tommy's World Cup at Waterville - common theme all easy black diamond trails to build confidence. But later that season came off a head wall on Tight Line at Saddleback and did that run like 5 times in a row. That was the coolest experience to see her do that.
That's great to hear. My wife makes fun of me and says I act like an annoying proud dad when she has good days or good runs. But, I think it helps her confidence too when she finishes up something and I tell her how good she did or give her a high five or something.
Agree. Great stories JCB890! Glad things worked out and the Big Sky experience didn't hurt her confidence or excitement about boarding.

DLague, things to look forward to with my girl in the future I hope.

Great stories JCB890. Thanks for sharing!
I agree Jully - hopefully she enjoys the sport and sticks with it. My wife said she picked it up for me and tried for me, but she has gotten to enjoy the sport and she used to always hate the winter, now she has something to look forward to in the winter months. I try not to push her too hard and if she wants to give up on the day for whatever reason I try not to make her feel bad about it. Next season though I have plans to push her to try some steeper terrain and work on technique and speed. She'll get there. With a Mount Snow season pass (Peak Pass), I'm hoping we'll have lots of opportunities for all of that practice. And with the MAX, we'll get to do that as well and add in some traveling.

I'm glad you guys enjoyed my stories!

I was real worried with the whole Big Sky debacle because I could tell she was really afraid and upset. But, I think it also helped her. She does still have the fear of heights, but it doesn't usually bother her on most lifts. Sometimes she can't look back at the beautiful mountains behind us - like in Colorado - and sometimes it gives her issues even on the trail, but it hasn't been too bad. I'd imagine the Tram at Jay Peak might cause issues, but her fear of heights is weird... she likes roller coasters and plane rides, so go figure.

4aprice

I'll say Gore is well worth it and a really great mountain. I've skied there several times and never been disappointed. Whiteface on the other hand seems to require good timing.

Yea, I have yet to hit that day there either. May try late next season after the wife stops, since she will never go there again. Play that one by ear.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

dlague

That's great to hear. My wife makes fun of me and says I act like an annoying proud dad when she has good days or good runs. But, I think it helps her confidence too when she finishes up something and I tell her how good she did or give her a high five or something.

Keep that up! I will even talk it up apres ski! They like it and yes builds confidence and trust! My wife refused to ski lower east wall and one day I went skiing by myself and skied it and some of the walls in Montezuma Bowl. The following weekend I told her that she could do it and she did and now we go there every trip. Next stop for her Pali Face - probably next season. Also next season I want to do Upper East Wall with her.

jimk

Love the wife success stories. My wife hung up downhill skiing about seven years ago in her mid 50s. I miss skiing groomers and riding a chair with her, but she still does other stuff like snowshoeing and X-C and...hot tubs:) My advice is to do whatever it takes to make it fun for the wife and when you have kids get them involved ASAP.

dlague

Love the wife success stories. My wife hung up downhill skiing about seven years ago in her mid 50s. I miss skiing groomers and riding a chair with her, but she still does other stuff like snowshoeing and X-C and...hot tubs:) My advice is to do whatever it takes to make it fun for the wife and when you have kids get them involved ASAP.
Good advice! I started our kids on whether around 2-2.5 years old and put them in lessons as soon as they turned 3. In Concord NH the schools had ski programs and we signed them up every year. As our kids improved my wife came along - her attitude was put up or shut up! She decided early on that she did not want to hang out in the lodge while we had fun. Kids (4 boys) are all grown up youngest 15 and will end up being our best skier and did 4 years of snowboarding before switching back. And it has been a fabulous ride and still is.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

Jcb890

We're (well, mostly me as my wife is not really thinking about snowboarding right now) already thinking about trips for next year. We had so much fun traveling last season that I'm hoping to at least take 2-3 trips next season.

No solid plans yet, but I think we're definitely going to try to get to Mt. Bachelor next season. Hoping to return to Big Sky as well since we just loved it out there.

Colorado and Utah are solid options also with Solitude / Brighton in UT and maybe either Steamboat or Crested Butte in CO. We enjoyed Copper, but I'd like to try somewhere else as well.
Also toying with the idea of a bit of a longer trip (10 days?) to fly into Calgary and checking out some or all of Kicking Horse, Nakiska, Kimberley and Fernie. It might be do-able with a centralized housing situation. Not sure though.

As for New England - day trips to Loon and Killington definitely, Sunday River is do-able in a day trip also. Hopefully we'll use our 5 each for those 3. And then also hoping for at least a long weekend up at Sugarloaf if things play out right. We'll probably use our 5 passes at Wachusett on nights we feel like getting out or days/nights when there's snowfall happening and we can't get up North.

We've also got Peak Passes, so Mt. Snow is going to be our "home base" on weekends. Also planning to get up to Wildcat at least a few times, I enjoyed my 1 day there even though cover was real thin. Looking forward to seeing the whole mountain.

I think we'll have a busy 2017/2018 Winter and Season. :smile:
Is summer over yet?

dlague

We're (well, mostly me as my wife is not really thinking about snowboarding right now) already thinking about trips for next year. We had so much fun traveling last season that I'm hoping to at least take 2-3 trips next season.

No solid plans yet, but I think we're definitely going to try to get to Mt. Bachelor next season. Hoping to return to Big Sky as well since we just loved it out there.

Colorado and Utah are solid options also with Solitude / Brighton in UT and maybe either Steamboat or Crested Butte in CO. We enjoyed Copper, but I'd like to try somewhere else as well.
Also toying with the idea of a bit of a longer trip (10 days?) to fly into Calgary and checking out some or all of Kicking Horse, Nakiska, Kimberley and Fernie. It might be do-able with a centralized housing situation. Not sure though.

As for New England - day trips to Loon and Killington definitely, Sunday River is do-able in a day trip also. Hopefully we'll use our 5 each for those 3. And then also hoping for at least a long weekend up at Sugarloaf if things play out right. We'll probably use our 5 passes at Wachusett on nights we feel like getting out or days/nights when there's snowfall happening and we can't get up North.

We've also got Peak Passes, so Mt. Snow is going to be our "home base" on weekends. Also planning to get up to Wildcat at least a few times, I enjoyed my 1 day there even though cover was real thin. Looking forward to seeing the whole mountain.

I think we'll have a busy 2017/2018 Winter and Season. :smile:
Is summer over yet?

Sounds pretty awesome!

p_levert

Just a public service announcement...got my pass in the mail a couple days ago...check your boxes...

You paid in full, right? I only did the $49 down payment. I have been assuming that they will only send the pass when I make the full payment in September.

Edd

Can someone jog my memory about paying for the pass? I see on my CC charges that I put down $49 in April. Looks like I haven't been charged since. I can't recall the arrangement. I guess they hit you with the rest of the balance in September as stated above? I would've preferred how Peaks does it with monthly payments.