MAX vs MCP? - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: MAX vs MCP?

Quote Originally Posted by abc View Post
    You forgot next year they added Snowbasin. So there're actually 6 days out of SLC base camp.

Personally, I found the Squaw + Mammoth combo quite easy to do. Though that might be due to my familiarity with the Sierra that others don't feel the same.

Everyone has their own preference. I think Big Sky can hold up well in that light.

(I'm playing the devil's advocate here. I had MCP for 2 years. I love the mountains on MCP)
    I did forget Snowbasin! There's something about just staying on or near a single mountain and skiing it for a full week that I enjoy more than the idea of skiing a huge area for 2 days and moving on too.

I personally would feel nervous combining Mammoth and Squaw, but I have zero familiarity with that area. Adds an interesting twist though!

As for Big Sky, that is a very good point. I was mostly comparing mountain region to mountain region. Big Sky is definitely on my radar for next year though.

If I were to choose between the two Max would be the way to go. It is currently $250 dollars more. 4 days any any of the MC mountains @ 50% off can go over the $250 difference easy. Plus you get 5 days versus 2. There are some decent clusters with the Max Pass one being in Colorado (25 total days), another in Alberta (20 total days), another in Washington (10 days plus another 5 in Oregon), another in Utah (10 Days), a 5 day trip to Big Sky. Obviously the average joe will not take all of those trips, but if based out of New England, there are a boat load of days there too.
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

However, if you are considering those two then the Epic Pass needs to be considered. It now has Stowe with unlimited skiing, and the trips also include unlimited skiing to Summit County CO, or Whistler/Blackcomb, or Tahoe, or Park City and opportunities to ski in Europe as well.

Yes it is about 400 more than MC Pass and 200 more than MAX but there are no limits.
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by dlague View Post
    However, if you are considering those two then the Epic Pass needs to be considered. It now has Stowe with unlimited skiing, and the trips also include unlimited skiing to Summit County CO, or Whistler/Blackcomb, or Tahoe, or Park City and opportunities to ski in Europe as well.

Yes it is about 400 more than MC Pass and 200 more than MAX but there are no limits.
    Epic is different. It's a true season pass. Unlimited days. Much more upfront cost.

Epic is different. It's a true season pass. Unlimited days. Much more upfront cost.
    $200 more is only like a 3-4 (if not less) days of skiing at most mountains so its certainly not a crazy difference. It puts it in the same league, especially for what you get. I know I would pick Epic over Max, just because of the mountain choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncanator24 View Post
    $200 more is only like a 3-4 (if not less) days of skiing at most mountains so its certainly not a crazy difference. It puts it in the same league, especially for what you get. I know I would pick Epic over Max, just because of the mountain choices.
    I don't know, I would take Winter Park (Jane)/Copper over Keystone/Break. RMSP would be my choice.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

I know I'd never consider Epic unless they got an east coast mountain within 2.5 hours of me. Stowe is still too far. I'm not paying $859 for skiing out west and a few long weekends at Stowe. It's tempting, but I think MCP and Max are both better options as they stand right now.

Could all change in a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncanator24 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 4aprice View Post
    I don't know, I would take Winter Park (Jane)/Copper over Keystone/Break. RMSP would be my choice.
    Both are valid choices. Each suits one individual.

I would have picked RMSP + MAX for my 'bumming season if I started out afresh. But... I had already purchased MCP under a different assumption.

Personally, I prefer the RSMP mountains over the Epic offering in Summit county. However, I've had RSMP for 2 years prior to that. So going Epic would be a more interesting combo, complete change of scenery from prior years.

$639 for Epic Local Pass. That is probably a better comparison in price/offerings.
    http://www.snow.com/epic-pass/passes...ocal-pass.aspx

I don't quite understand what "10 days combined" means for the restricted mountains. Meaning you can use the 10 days as you please at any of those, outside of the holidays?

Both are valid choices. Each suits one individual.

I would have picked RMSP + MAX for my 'bumming season if I started out afresh. But... I had already purchased MCP under a different assumption.

Personally, I prefer the RSMP mountains over the Epic offering in Summit county. However, I've had RSMP for 2 years prior to that. So going Epic would be a more interesting combo, complete change of scenery from prior years.
    It all depends upon where you want to ski. If I have my heart set on going to Aspen one year I would get their product, if I want to get to Vail I'll go Epic. Its not for everybody but you kind of have to pick your path before the season starts. I think the days of hitting each and every area each season are pretty much gone especially out west. You basically buy the pass then plan the trips. I spent more time looking for airfares then worrying about where I was going skiing. I got 14 days at 5 different resorts in the Rockies this past winter, that alone was worth the price I payed for Max.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Thread Information