Opening Day 2017/2018 Season - New England - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Smellytele View Post
    I have done the BW thing a few times. Great for early season lift service turns. Usually legs are tired before I get really bored. Flatter stuff kills me on the tele's.
    My tolerance for repetitive laps of relatively interesting terrain is massive early season too. I do ridiculous laps of stuff early season without getting bored, BW being no exception.

Hopefully start my season 2nd wknd of November at Cat or BW after my anniversary trip to the Bahamas

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app
    2018-19
    Wildcat 11/10

2017-2018 Days: 51
    2016-2017 Days: 51
    2015-2016 Days: 25
    2014-2015 Days: 36
    2013-2014 Days: 25
    2012-2013 Days: 16
    2011-2012 Days: 25
    2010-2011 Days: 24
    2009-2010 Days: 47

Man, I think some of you guys are in for a long summer. I enjoy summer so skiing doesn't enter into the thought process till October, then October - November, waiting is agonizing enough. I do gear my exercise regiment toward skiing though. It's Memorial Day Weekend, summer's just ramping up, enjoy the warm long days and the unfrozen water. August, the dog days of summer, we start to ramp up the planning and conversation.(usually on the boat). Ski season will be there on the other side.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Agreed. Summer is great. Enjoy both seasons.

Yea, I am looking forward to getting a bit of hiking in on the mountains this summer. Last summer it seems like every time I was in VT and went hiking the summits were in the clouds unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Anyone know why Sunday River had such a hard time opening last season? They didn't open til the 23rd of November...a month later than Killington. They usually open within 24 hours of each other. I know they didn't run the Locke chair to the midstation and tried the Aurora pod. Was it a complete failure?
    2019-2020 0 days and holding...
    "Skiing is the closest you'll get to flying without leaving the ground." -snowmonster

Quote Originally Posted by ss20 View Post
    Anyone know why Sunday River had such a hard time opening last season? They didn't open til the 23rd of November...a month later than Killington. They usually open within 24 hours of each other. I know they didn't run the Locke chair to the midstation and tried the Aurora pod. Was it a complete failure?
    Complete failure. Didn't have the snow guns close enough together and it was a fairly warm fall in Maine. They made snow whenever K made snow, but never enough to open.

Back to Locke next year thank goodness.

Quote Originally Posted by 4aprice View Post
    Man, I think some of you guys are in for a long summer. I enjoy summer so skiing doesn't enter into the thought process till October, then October - November, waiting is agonizing enough. I do gear my exercise regiment toward skiing though. It's Memorial Day Weekend, summer's just ramping up, enjoy the warm long days and the unfrozen water. August, the dog days of summer, we start to ramp up the planning and conversation.(usually on the boat). Ski season will be there on the other side.
    Quite! I'm very much a summer person. So skiing is of secondary important to me at the moment.

(But you wouldn't know that looking at how I moan about my lack of vacation in the winter season, or my ski sabbatical, would you? That's because I do all my summer activities nearby, which can be done on weekends. But majority of my skiing days are out of the region)

I do use skiing as the excuse to travel, which I don't like to do in the summer (crowds and inflated prices for flights/lodging).

Anyway, my life doesn't evolve around skiing. But rather, skiing fills in the void between summers. My summer time favorite activities ranges from cycling, kayaking and a bit of hiking & backpacking. I don't miss winter and am NOT looking forward to winter. Not yet. Not until it gets too cold to bike and camp comfortably.

In general, I'm not the kind who's waiting impatiently for the next thing, whatever that "next thing" is, be it winter that's 6 months away, or retirement 10 years away. I'm typically too busy enjoying whatever I'm doing, RIGHT NOW.

That said, I do PLAN for the future, be that my next trip or the next winter. Any suggestion on where I can find a good boot fitter that also do a lot of AT boots?

In So VT, Mount Snow typically pencils in the weekend before Thanksgiving as the targeted opening date.

Might be a bit different (possibly earlier) this year if both their West Lake snowmaking project is done and the weather cooperates, kind of like 10yrs ago when Peak did their major fan gun installation and they went for it early.

My hunch is though that Mount Snow will still be targeting the weekend before Thanksgiving but showing off the prowess of the West Lake project by opening up with about double the usual terrain they have on opening day, as the ability to basically make snow on twice as much terrain simultaneously is one of the many benefits of the West Lake project they've touted!!

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days, '17-'18 season 52 days, '18-'19 season 45 days '07-'19 seasons: 612 Days

'19 - '20 season:

Ok folks. Your comments have been heard and reviewed. Following Killingtons final day of the season we will be shutting down the ski forums until October 1st. Please focus your attention to our vibrant biking and hiking forums as well as the fishing and boating threads. I don't think there's been a golf thread started. Someone should get on that. I'm thinking a debate over 2 iron vs fairway wood would be a good one.

Happy Summer!

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

Thread Information