• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skier visits up in NH

cdskier

Skier visit totals this year, Riehle added, are more accurate than in the past. That’s because new technology and scanners used at resorts do a better job tracking visits by pass holders.

In the past, he said, those numbers were often estimates, calculated using a multiplier of 20 to 25 visits per pass. Now, he said, resorts can better track how many times pass holders hit the slopes.

I find this a bit hard to believe. Maybe compared to 10-20 years ago, sure, but I'd think most of at least the major resorts have been scanning season passes and know exactly how many days their passholders ski for a number of years now.

Edd

I find this a bit hard to believe. Maybe compared to 10-20 years ago, sure, but I'd think most of at least the major resorts have been scanning season passes and know exactly how many days their passholders ski for a number of years now.

I don't think Boyne has been scanning in recent years. Thought that was weird.

4aprice

It varies from their resorts. Sunday River does not scan at all, but Loon very much does.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

Loon was one of the places that made us get a "normal" ticket with Max Pass. It surprises me that they are not set up for RFID. Stratton and Killington as well as Copper were hand held scanners. It was nice at some places you just had to place the pass in your pocket and walk on to the lifts. Steamboat and Winter Park and IIRC Okemo were like this. I like RFID, there are a lot of advantages to it.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

BenedictGomez

I like RFID, there are a lot of advantages to it.

Perhaps I'll like it when the technologies there, I still find it gets wonky sometimes. Had some issues at Jay Peak a few times this year that were annoying. Skied a few days at Vail and RFID did work flawlessly there.

Frankly, IMO most "advantages" that I see from RFID seem heavily skewed for the mountain, not for the skier. Treasure trove of data collection and targeted marketing on you and your entire family.

benski

Frankly, IMO most "advantages" that I see from RFID seem heavily skewed for the mountain, not for the skier. Treasure trove of data collection and targeted marketing on you and your entire family.

I might be in the minority here but i like the targeted marketing. Targeted pictures of some guy knee deep in powder at Taos or Vail is way better than whatever weird flashy click bate would be in its place.

machski

Loon was one of the places that made us get a "normal" ticket with Max Pass. It surprises me that they are not set up for RFID. Stratton and Killington as well as Copper were hand held scanners. It was nice at some places you just had to place the pass in your pocket and walk on to the lifts. Steamboat and Winter Park and IIRC Okemo were like this. I like RFID, there are a lot of advantages to it.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
All Boyne owned resorts are this way with Max Pass. The one that surprised me is Mt. Bachelor. They have RFID but apparently the one baked into the Max Pass does not jive with their system. So I had to get a day RFID card each day at the ticket window for Max use. They did warn if you kept your Max Pass on you it could mess up the gates. I threw it in my pack each day and had no issues but very strange.

benski

All Boyne owned resorts are this way with Max Pass. The one that surprised me is Mt. Bachelor. They have RFID but apparently the one baked into the Max Pass does not jive with their system. So I had to get a day RFID card each day at the ticket window for Max use. They did warn if you kept your Max Pass on you it could mess up the gates. I threw it in my pack each day and had no issues but very strange.

They say the same thing about phones but I see people use RFID cards stored in phone cases a lot on campus.