• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hunter Mtn Expansion Details

drewfidelic

The Flyer was up and running for the first hour of so of the day, but icy slushy precipitation is not good for detachable lifts -- icing on the cable was creating issues with the functioning of the lift. It ended up being a washout of a day. It was wet, icy and uncomfortable.

FBGM

What a great weekend to open up their new stuff. Does the new area come with arm floaties and a kayak?

slatham

What a great weekend to open up their new stuff. Does the new area come with arm floaties and a kayak?

Ha by Monday all of Hunter will have 6-12" of fresh new man made snow and will ski fine. If it were to open today I'd agree with your point.

Funky_Catskills

Well that was super cool!!!

Hunter North opened today - the Overlook trail was the only trail. It was a really nice event. Coffee and cookies and stuff - free teeshirts for the first like 50 people... There was maybe a 150 people there - many long time regulars.
At 8:30 they cut the ribbon to let everyone cross the bridge. Management was standing there as we walked by - I thanked them.. The lift is a nice 6 pack - it takes you up to Beltparkway where they carved out some space in the mountain to allow for Belt traffic to pass with no issues. I took the lift a bunch of times - it was empty by 9:30. Hit the front side to see how the entry is from belt. Overlook dropped in like Wayout does from the Belt. In fact Overlook feels like a better designed Wayout to me. And it's definitely a "Hunter Intermediate" trail. There's a long Pocono style runout at the base.

The other trails look great!! Lot's of glades cut out. The lift line looks amazing.

Great job Hunter.. Fuck the naysayers... really...

48411041_10215883485752589_115112270358380544_n.jpg

Last edited:

RichT

N Haledon, NJ/Jewett, NY/South Seaside Park, NJ
DvMMKs1XQAEyTZ7.jpg

Where's the "first chair" picture ie........Buckweat, Jimmy da lawer and BlueBoy???

Never mind, found it.

Rips was open too. Both trails have some great pitch to them. This pod is gong to be awesome.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
I agree it was a great day. I got my butt outta bed way early to get there. The vibe waiting at the ribbon was fun as hell. I think I was the only guy in line who wasn't a long time passholder.

That lift gets to the top incredibly fast. Seemed like less than 5 minutes, if that is possible.

The whole side went into the shade at noon, or maybe earlier. If they bury it over there it will hold snow for a long time.

overlook.jpg

Scottski on Overlook

My two cents here:

https://nyskiblog.com/hunter-north-opens/

The sun comes back for nice afternoons, especially on the Rip's and Pratts

I agree it was a great day. I got my butt outta bed way early to get there. The vibe waiting at the ribbon was fun as hell. I think I was the only guy in line who wasn't a long time passholder.

That lift gets to the top incredibly fast. Seemed like less than 5 minutes, if that is possible.

The whole side went into the shade at noon, or maybe earlier. If they bury it over there it will hold snow for a long time.

overlook.jpg

Scottski on Overlook

My two cents here:

https://nyskiblog.com/hunter-north-opens/

So Inclined

Got my first shot at Hunter North this afternoon around 2:00 or so. My first thought was "this is an 'intermediate'? LOLOLOLOLOLOL." By that I mean that I had a pretty fine romp in the bumps that covered most of Overlook - it's just that it was quite a bit steeper and bumpier than I imagined it would be. There were a whole bunch of skiers and riders in various states of struggle, from "help I can't get my ski back on on this pitch" to "in distress, getting sledded down by ski patrol."
My second thought was that if they're leaving it to bump up like that, it's like a slightly tranquilized and abbreviated Clair's (when it's ungroomed.) That's quite fun in my book, but something different from a challenging but chill blue cruiser, or a moderate blue for people seeking something just a notch more intense than Madison or Kennedy. People are going to get in over their heads there if they harbor the same misconceptions I had.*
The lift's shorter than I expected it would be, and very rapid. I believe I'll be spending a lot of time over there once all the new runs are covered. When the trees are in play as well, I might never leave.

*It's Hunter. What would it be without people getting in over their heads?

Last edited:

jaytrem

Funny, Overlook was less steep than I was thinking it would be after all the talk. We were there yestetday, no bumps on it. It definitely has good pitch, but at least it has the flatter sections for people to aim for. Other than an injured person, I didn't see anybody having much trouble on it, it was slick for sure. Guess they blew on it if there were bumps today. At any rate, great addition, hopefully get ti check out the trees at some point this year.