• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hunter Mtn Expansion Details

JimG.

Staff member
Not to deny the basic point you're making - there are some big trails that are conspicuously bare now, and they stayed that way even when the temps dipped low enough to blow snow - but the weather's hardly been cooperative the last couple weeks, to say the least. It feels like we've been riding that big first storm and early cold temps for weeks now. The season started off hot (and by that I mean cold :)) but another week like the past one, weather-wise, and I'll be getting nervous for it.

There was plenty of cold weather to blow snow on at least Racer's before the usual holiday week weather disaster. Racer's and Upper Crossover are usually open well before Xmas.

Seems to me that expert terrain is on the outs with Peaks. Looks like they're running Hunter like a Pocono hill.

Scruffy

There was plenty of cold weather to blow snow on at least Racer's before the usual holiday week weather disaster. Racer's and Upper Crossover are usually open well before Xmas.

Seems to me that expert terrain is on the outs with Peaks. Looks like they're running Hunter like a Pocono hill.

In general I agree with you. Peak doesn't seem to understand what kept Hunter in the black while other areas struggled, and that's to offer expert terrain in the Catskills. The Slutskys understood this and would blow a ton on Racers, Crossover, and Lower K27, even if they couldn't get the west side open. Last year, Lower K27 didn't open until sometime late Jan, and then they F'ed it up with huge whales that froze solid and remained until spring. Experts will travel for terrain and snow, VT is not that far away. Peak needs to offer something to keep experts on their mountain. And leave some damn bumps! Stop the incessant grooming!

Peak has to be congratulated for getting as much of the mountain open early this year before T-day as they did, but since they've been slow to open new terrain except their pet project, the North Side. They did attempt to open Racer's the same weekend they opened Clair's. They blew for two days on Racer's, but the third day with winds were too strong so they shut the guns off, then it warmed up and rained and that all that's been done to it.

kingslug

Lets put this blue black thing in perspective.
Huegas is a black..you can ski it backwards.
Upper k27 is a black..you can do it in 3 turns.
Eisenhower is a black..you can do it in 4 turns.
Overlook is so...not a blue unless its groomed flat and empty. Sunday it was an absolute mess. It looked like a game of Rollerball..for those that remember that movie.
You come around the corner and head down to the first drop..and thats where your face drops..looked like a war zone. People standing everywhere..most in shock..or sliding down on their asses..or just yard sales.
If they leave it rated blue they are in for a mess.
You reading this HUNTER?
You have a good thing here..just get a big crayon and draw a big ol diamond on that bad boy.

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..
Lets put this blue black thing in perspective.
Huegas is a black..you can ski it backwards.
Upper k27 is a black..you can do it in 3 turns.
Eisenhower is a black..you can do it in 4 turns.
Overlook is so...not a blue unless its groomed flat and empty. Sunday it was an absolute mess. It looked like a game of Rollerball..for those that remember that movie.
You come around the corner and head down to the first drop..and thats where your face drops..looked like a war zone. People standing everywhere..most in shock..or sliding down on their asses..or just yard sales.
If they leave it rated blue they are in for a mess.
You reading this HUNTER?
You have a good thing here..just get a big crayon and draw a big ol diamond on that bad boy.

It technically meets the requirements for a blue square. It was "interesting" on Sunday. I doubt it will ever be changed to a blue square.

rgrwilco

Its strange that they have an awesome lift to service just the west side trails, but usually only one or two ways down. I was a pass holder last few years and don't remember ever seeing west way open. Seems like a waste. It also seems that hunter north and west side should be the early/late season trails due to exposure. they usually only open with expert trails, so why not open with west and north, than have a few trails linking the different sides to make lodge access easy.

Fantasy ski resort management is fun. someone remake ski resort tycoon please.

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..
Its strange that they have an awesome lift to service just the west side trails, but usually only one or two ways down. I was a pass holder last few years and don't remember ever seeing west way open. Seems like a waste. It also seems that hunter north and west side should be the early/late season trails due to exposure. they usually only open with expert trails, so why not open with west and north, than have a few trails linking the different sides to make lodge access easy.

Fantasy ski resort management is fun. someone remake ski resort tycoon please.

The only feasible way to open Westway anymore is to line it with Super Pole cats.

So Inclined

I was a pass holder last few years and don't remember ever seeing west way open.

I made more or less the same comment last year - but Westway/44 was open for a weekend or two in March. This was taken on March 18.

westway 318.jpg

You still wanted your rock skis then.

kingslug

They just need to cut the trail in half with a fence and blow it. It will never hold snow the way it is..too wide..also the area near the lift poles us nasty..seen many people fall when they hit the rocks and get cut up

slatham

So the issue with Westway and its width - if I recall the snowmaking pipes run skiers left, lift skiers right, both defining the borders to the trail. The most logical thing to do is allow it to grow in from skier left by simply not mowing and letting nature takes its course. But the aforementioned snowmaking makes that an issue, without moving the snowmaking. If they keep it at current width, Polecats are the only solution.

Scruffy

They just need to cut the trail in half with a fence and blow it. It will never hold snow the way it is..too wide..also the area near the lift poles us nasty..seen many people fall when they hit the rocks and get cut up

Cut it almost in half with a sinuous line of white pines ( use snow fences to protect trees until they mature ). The sinuous line will be a good wind block for the prevailing winds that rip up that trail. Two trails, one narrower and clear of trees ( skiers left near snow making towers), and the other wider but gladed with selected trees planted or allowed to grow within the run. Narrower trail get's snow making and is allowed to bump up and never groomed. Wider gladed trail is for natural snow, and opens when it can.

Cornhead

Cut it almost in half with a sinuous line of white pines ( use snow fences to protect trees until they mature ). The sinuous line will be a good wind block for the prevailing winds that rip up that trail. Two trails, one narrower and clear of trees ( skiers left near snow making towers), and the other wider but gladed with selected trees planted or allowed to grow within the run. Narrower trail get's snow making and is allowed to bump up and never groomed. Wider gladed trail is for natural snow, and opens when it can.
This sounds like a great plan, makes you wonder wtf they were thinking when they cut the trail originally. If they were to do this, it would make that pod a lot of fun when completely open.

Sent from my Life Max using AlpineZone mobile app

benski

That would also make the lift much less windy and maybe prevent windholds.