• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hunter Mtn Expansion Details

skiwhizzer

Obituary of Edward Chu

Edward Allen Chu, age 24, passed away on Saturday, February 2, 2019; after injuries sustained in a tragic skiing accident in Hunter NY. He was born in Jersey City; Edward had spent most of his life in Warren, NJ.

I heard it was on Rips Return?? Idk?

skiwhizzer

Its in his obituary.

Edward Allen Chu, age 24, passed away on Saturday, February 2, 2019; after injuries sustained in a tragic skiing accident in Hunter NY. He was born in Jersey City; Edward had spent most of his life in Warren, NJ.

So Inclined

Shame, did not see this, It's in a NJ Paper. Hunter has a problem on their hands! Seems catch fencing is the solution.

People just have to be really aware of what they're getting into over there. Patrol didn't open North and West till noon or so today. I was one of the first down it, and it was hard as a rock thanks to the melt-freeze but just about edgeable. Went back down Overlook later on, around 2ish, and it had softened up quite a bit, but got to witness my friend fall and slide about 150 yards. Luckily she was nearer to the middle of the trail and wasn't in danger of hitting anything. No real harm done but it did shake her up a bit and contributed to her calling it a day early. The spitting rain also helped us both make that decision.

skiwhizzer

Grooming in the morning would help make more granular, chopped up snow and avoid that frozen solid flat surface you get from grooming at night. They do that at other mountains when the melt freeze happens and it helps.

da-bum

After skiing twilight a few days after it inaugurated, I knew this is going to be a challenging run (especially from what looked like a blue run), mostly in the sudden change in pitch and then the big left turn. Trying to ride stay on a fast carve, its a big compression left turn while heading towards the trees on the right when the trail turns left, and then a right turn as I see the trees fast approaching from the left, not helped by washboard bumps left over from freezovers and rushed grooming. Tried a few more times to find the best line, but then later runs, I found the best way is just to ease on the compression turn and instead straighten the skis to ride out the runout. The wife doesn't think it is an dangerous trail, but then she isn't skiing at the breakneck speed.

Rip doesn't seem challenging, maybe its the 'blue' symbol on that trail lures the belt parkway type of blue trail skiers.

legalskier

The wife doesn't think it is an dangerous trail, but then she isn't skiing at the breakneck speed.

When I skied Twilight for the first time on Monday afternoon I was surprised how steep the pitch is there- imho many other areas would rate it a double black. There also wasn't much traffic so it was enjoyable. However when I skied its neighbor Overlook there were quite a few riders who were just pointing their boards straight down the middle leaving me in the dust. The surface was fast so it was concerning to watch- I kept thinking it's a good thing that the trail is so wide. I stayed to the side and gladly gave up the middle ground.

Quietman

but got to witness my friend fall and slide about 150 yards.

150 yards is a long slide on an intermediate/expert trail, and only normally if your really flying. Is it really that steap? Sounds like it might be time to rerate again to expert considering all that's been stated about this.

So Inclined

150 yards is a long slide on an intermediate/expert trail, and only normally if your really flying. Is it really that steap? Sounds like it might be time to rerate again to expert considering all that's been stated about this.

150 yards is a ballpark estimate, but here's the pic I took right after she stopped sliding. Her poles were back somewhere around the guns below the arrow.

20190206_143245_20190210222023991.jpg

She wasn't flying down it, and once down she did her best to self-arrest (face down, head up the hill, digging in with her hands and trying to brake with her skis - which never came off - without jarring or twisting a knee). I was a bit below her, saw her sliding, and once I'd figured out she wasn't going to slide off into danger it was a somewhat comical situation of me sideslipping closely beside her, trying to figure out if/how I should try to help bring her to a stop ("grab my pole?" Nah, seemed too risky and unlikely to help.)

It's just a tough trail when it's firm - and Hunter being Hunter, things will often be firm. Like when I went for a similar, but shorter ride down it from a standstill just for being dumb.

However when I skied its neighbor Overlook there were quite a few riders who were just pointing their boards straight down the middle leaving me in the dust.

Vaya con Dios to those fools, I say.

Last edited:

Smellytele

150 yards is a ballpark estimate, but here's the pic I took right after she stopped sliding. Her poles were back somewhere around the guns below the arrow.

View attachment 24590

She wasn't flying down it, and once down she did her best to self-arrest (face down, head up the hill, digging in with her hands and trying to brake with her skis - which never came off - without jarring or twisting a knee). I was a bit below her, saw her sliding, and once I'd figured out she wasn't going to slide off into danger it was a somewhat comical situation of me sideslipping closely beside her, trying to figure out if/how I should try to help bring her to a stop ("grab my pole?" Nah, seemed too risky and unlikely to help.)

It's just a tough trail when it's firm - and Hunter being Hunter, things will often be firm. Like when I went for a similar, but shorter ride down it from a standstill just for being dumb.

Vaya con Dios to those fools, I say.

Were you skiing with a Minecraft character?

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

da-bum

When I skied Twilight for the first time on Monday afternoon I was surprised how steep the pitch is there- imho many other areas would rate it a double black. There also wasn't much traffic so it was enjoyable. However when I skied its neighbor Overlook there were quite a few riders who were just pointing their boards straight down the middle leaving me in the dust. The surface was fast so it was concerning to watch- I kept thinking it's a good thing that the trail is so wide. I stayed to the side and gladly gave up the middle ground.

I skied Overlook for the first time past monday, with condition being hardpacked. It has a decent pitch, and long enough that you can't think that you can just ski it down to the runout if it starts getting a little fast for you. Although I still kind of just bombed down that trail, just making sure I knew where the whales (more like porpoises) were in the overcast day. The only concern I had were what seems like a wide trough that is not visible in the overcast light, going across where the runoff starts, so if one weren't careful, you can go into a compression and not make it out of the trough upright. App shows speed of around 70mph. Twilight was ungroomed and crusty, so I didn't do much on it.

Next day, Overlook became ungroomed, crusty, with accumulation of snow on top, so I sped down maybe once and when the legs were getting tired, just old-schooled down. Twilight was groomed this time, so took some bombing runs. This being my second time around on this trail, it seems much shorter than last time, the steep pitch was over before I knew it. Maybe it wasn't crusty hard like the last time (although visibility, with the snowfall, was much worse). Ski app showed consistent runs in the 70mph range. I didn't think it would be faster on the shorter Twilight, but maybe it was the strong wind that was coming from the south.

Not sure if it is a new hunter policy, but I've noticed they seem to do alternate day grooming of secondary trails. on monday, overlook, cliff, racers, were groomed, and twilight, was not. On tuesday, it was the reverse. ike was groomed/ungroomed also, but forgot the days. I use to remember those are the trails they groom daily (except maybe for racers....and maybe sometimes cliff). Is this the Peak policy now? especially with more trails to groom? Those trails are not that a big deal for me, but one wrong turn w/the wife, a 3 min run turns into a 7 min one.

Last edited:

legalskier

Twilight was groomed this time, so took some bombing runs. Second time around, trail seems much shorter, it was over before I knew it. Maybe it wasn't crusty hard like the last time (although visibility, with the snowfall, was much worse). Ski app showed consistent runs in the 70mph range.

Sounds like the big rollers that were at the bottom last week got knocked down? My impression was they were there to slow ppl down as they approached the lift.

da-bum

Sounds like the big rollers that were at the bottom last week got knocked down? My impression was they were there to slow ppl down as they approached the lift.

I think they were still there. I presume the ones near the lifts are service roads that runs across the trail.

da-bum

They just line up with the snow guns

Those are the ones that form whales under the guns, but the last 2 on Twilights seems to be the whole width of the trail, so they are either service roads or are plowed that way so everybody has to go through it.

Funky_Catskills

I really love the new terrain.. I dig running over to the new lot - which is a couple minutes from my house - and riding a few at lunch. I think the right side of Overlook is my favorite line there - including the rock jump. There are hardly ever any lines at the lift. It's super chill over there.. I barely ride anywhere except the North and West sides now.. It's like a new area for me. Hell yeah!!!!