• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hunter Mtn Expansion Details

Funky_Catskills

Sounds like the big rollers that were at the bottom last week got knocked down? My impression was they were there to slow ppl down as they approached the lift.

I think they are just the opposite.. The rollers allow me to gather up some momentum to get to the lift easier... Kind of perfect actually..

So Inclined

I really love the new terrain.. I dig running over to the new lot - which is a couple minutes from my house - and riding a few at lunch. I think the right side of Overlook is my favorite line there - including the rock jump. There are hardly ever any lines at the lift. It's super chill over there.. I barely ride anywhere except the North and West sides now.. It's like a new area for me. Hell yeah!!!!

Yes. If the trees would just get in play, I'd happily never leave that side.

Funky_Catskills

Damn I love riding the new terrain at lunch...
I can change - drive to the parking lot - get 4 or 5 runs in - be back in an hour to work..
It's a game changer for me. Closer to 1.5 hours to get some runs in from the front face parking lot..
Today there were 3 cars there.. so good...

catskillman

Anyone know why the west side and the Zepher have been closed for 2 days with no end in site?

The mtn states this in their daily update for a couple of days now.

Please Note: Hunter West, with the exception of Way Out, and the Zephyr Express will be closed again today and at least through tomorrow.
We thank you for your patience during this time and we will make clear to our guests when Hunter West’s terrain and lift has been reopened.

zyk

Anyone know why the west side and the Zepher have been closed for 2 days with no end in site?

The mtn states this in their daily update for a couple of days now.

Please Note: Hunter West, with the exception of Way Out, and the Zephyr Express will be closed again today and at least through tomorrow.
We thank you for your patience during this time and we will make clear to our guests when Hunter West’s terrain and lift has been reopened.

Hopefully there is a good reason (Claire's was not great Monday so maybe conditions?) And not a harbinger of things to come next year. With the new expansion the west side was further neglected this year and with the west to North runout trail not running the zephyr midweek is a real possibility

catskillman

Hopefully there is a good reason (Claire's was not great Monday so maybe conditions?) And not a harbinger of things to come next year. With the new expansion the west side was further neglected this year and with the west to North runout trail not running the zephyr midweek is a real possibility

From today's email... must be conditions related, or at least they want us to think that.

Please Note: Hunter West, with the exception of Way Out, and the Zephyr Express will be closed again today
. We thank you for your patience during this time and we will make clear to our guests when Hunter West’s terrain and lift have been reopened. At this time,
we expect another update later in the day from ski patrol and our grooming teams regarding Hunter West’s terrain.
Please check our afternoon snow report for the latest details

drjeff

From today's email... must be conditions related, or at least they want us to think that.

Please Note: Hunter West, with the exception of Way Out, and the Zephyr Express will be closed again today
. We thank you for your patience during this time and we will make clear to our guests when Hunter West’s terrain and lift have been reopened. At this time,
we expect another update later in the day from ski patrol and our grooming teams regarding Hunter West’s terrain.
Please check our afternoon snow report for the latest details

Reading between the lines.... There's a bunch of snow and bumps on Hunter West. It's bulletproof right now and not safe for mere mortals. It's supposed to warm up tomorrow and beyond. We'd rather keep the bumps as opposed to knock them down and create a bunch of flat, frozen granular for a few folks today....

catskillman

Maintenance issue on the guad...... confirmed today in the bar..........

BUT - their email today implied it was ski -patrol related which they are not happy with....
We thank you for your patience during this time and we will make clear to our guests when Hunter West’s terrain and lift have been reopened. At this time,

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..
Maintenance issue on the guad...... confirmed today in the bar..........

BUT - their email today implied it was ski -patrol related which they are not happy with....
We thank you for your patience during this time and we will make clear to our guests when Hunter West’s terrain and lift have been reopened. At this time,

Time to get Poma to look at the damn lift.

catskillman

Today's email - We plan to open Hunter West and Clair’s Way later this morning
. Please check back here for opening times. We will keep you updated as more information becomes available.

Also - paragraph #1 states "The forecast for today predicts sunny skies in the morning and partly cloudy skies in the afternoon"

paragraph # 3
Hit the slopes with us to enjoy
ideal coverage across the mountain and sunshine all day long.
snowfall is expected to begin late tonight and last into Sunday
, potentially dropping off
2-4 inches of fresh snow!

BY the way - if you check The Summit weather station for Hunter Mountain on weather underground it has the cloudy weather beginning at noon today. I guess they just mean the sun will be UP all day, not sunshine. They also neglect to tell you that that snow is turning to rain at 11 tomorrow per their weather station

Who writes these things? and obviously things are never fact checked or proofread!

skiur

I heard bulletproof is the reason, also heard (not sure it's true) but someone pooched it fell, got real hurt, skipatrol had to risk their well being to get him, cops arrested him at the hospital.

I find that hard to believe he was arrested. The back of your ticket says you can lose your pass by skiing closed trails but says nothing about it being an arrestable offense. I have to call BS on the arrest.

jg17

So does anyone know what the deal is with Sleepy Hollow? It's odd that it's been closed after an incident, when Twilight and Rip's were reopened after high profile incidents. Maybe there's some odd topographical issue that they need to fix in the off season? Pure speculation, but I can't think of any other reason.

RichT

N Haledon, NJ/Jewett, NY/South Seaside Park, NJ
So does anyone know what the deal is with Sleepy Hollow? It's odd that it's been closed after an incident, when Twilight and Rip's were reopened after high profile incidents. Maybe there's some odd topographical issue that they need to fix in the off season? Pure speculation, but I can't think of any other reason.

There's a very good reason..........no fence on skiers right, meaning if you go off trail your headed down a 50 foot very steep hill with trees and rocks along the way.

catskillman

I find that hard to believe he was arrested. The back of your ticket says you can lose your pass by skiing closed trails but says nothing about it being an arrestable offense. I have to call BS on the arrest.

And Blue Boy got his pass back - he poached but did not get hurt..........