Hunter Mtn Expansion Details - Page 53

AlpineZone

Page 53 of 65 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast
Results 521 to 530 of 647
  1. #521
    kingslug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Stamford Ct and Stowe
    Posts
    4,338
    Better than "The Hunter 6 pack..get off it if you can"

    Lets go!
    I'll drive.

  2. #522

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter...
    Posts
    2,043
    Quote Originally Posted by kingslug View Post
    Guess i was..and all of us was right...fucking marketing deciding whats what
    Happens all the time. Then they expect others to fix the mess....

  3. #523
    I can't imagine being the parent of a kid who kisses you goodbye to go have a fun day on the slopes and then get the phone call later that night. My heart goes out to his family. R.I.P.

    Quote Originally Posted by andrec10 View Post
    Time to Make these Black Diamonds....
    Agreed. My TR noted that pitch.

    Quote Originally Posted by kingslug View Post
    Better than "The Hunter 6 pack..get off it if you can"
    I found that getting off was easy- it was getting on that was tricky, what with how fast the chair comes around for the 90' load.
    If it's snowin' I'm goin'

  4. #524
    Quote Originally Posted by kingslug View Post
    Guess i was..and all of us was right...fucking marketing deciding whats what

    Exactly - how do they live with themselves and sleep at night. Although marketing did not label those trails blue, so I guess management must be getting counseling about this as they ignored the facts........

  5. #525
    JimG.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Hopewell Jct., NY
    Posts
    10,230
    Changing the trail ratings will help but that is not going to stop this.

    Those trails need some design remediation. Not big things but obviously causing problems.

  6. #526
    kingslug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Stamford Ct and Stowe
    Posts
    4,338
    In the old days of racing ,drivers were killed at an alarming rate. They would go off into the woods..and die. Now they have barriers to prevent that...hmm..what an amazing idea. A gate to go in the woods that is either open..or closed and problem solved. A lot easier than re pitching anything.
    Lets go!
    I'll drive.

  7. #527
    kingslug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Stamford Ct and Stowe
    Posts
    4,338
    Hopefully nothing else happens..but this weekend will be a shiney one..
    Lets go!
    I'll drive.

  8. #528
    Quote Originally Posted by kingslug View Post
    In the old days of racing ,drivers were killed at an alarming rate. They would go off into the woods..and die. Now they have barriers to prevent that...hmm..what an amazing idea. A gate to go in the woods that is either open..or closed and problem solved. A lot easier than re pitching anything.
    The biggest issue with netting, and this is from the perspective of a racer parent who has spent countless days on fence lined trails and doing maintenance on fencing, is you have to keep moving it and adjusting it as base depths change, people (or even mountain ops equipment) hit it/get tangled in it, ice/wind storms do damage to it, etc, etc, etc. And if you've ever rolled or worked on a section of B-netting (the roughly 4 foot tall fencing with what looks like slalom gates it's mounted on) they're 50 ft long, and not an easy thing to move and reset, and the A-netting, the much taller (usually 15 feet or so) mounted to a fixed overhead pole and also anchored at the ground level, and because of cost is generally found only along certain sections of trails used for World Cup and various other high level speed event race trails.

    The manpower logistics to wide use trail edge netting isn't insignificant by any means.

    In the case of Hunter North, where I know some of the crew who was behind the layout and building and shaping of the trails, their intentions were to create some trails that they'd like to ski and ride themselves as well as the general public. It seems like in this case a multitude of factors from how a trail skis/rides to the general masses with feet of snow and many groomer passes, add in numerous skiers and riders of all abilities, variable weather and lighting conditions, etc, etc, etc and the potential for unfortunate events can happen.

    I'm guessing that Peak/Hunter was already planning on making some grading changes to the new terrain at Hunter North after it's first season of snow and customer use and having seen first-hand how their design of the trails, snow retention, drainage, etc, etc, etc actually went vs how they thought/hoped it would. They're may be some extra reworking of certain trails or parts of this off season now

    Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days, '17-'18 season 52 days, '18-'19 season 45 days '07-'19 seasons: 612 Days

    '19 - '20 season:

  9. #529
    RichT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    N Haledon, NJ/Jewett, NY
    Posts
    367
    Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    The biggest issue with netting, and this is from the perspective of a racer parent who has spent countless days on fence lined trails and doing maintenance on fencing, is you have to keep moving it and adjusting it as base depths change, people (or even mountain ops equipment) hit it/get tangled in it, ice/wind storms do damage to it, etc, etc, etc. And if you've ever rolled or worked on a section of B-netting (the roughly 4 foot tall fencing with what looks like slalom gates it's mounted on) they're 50 ft long, and not an easy thing to move and reset, and the A-netting, the much taller (usually 15 feet or so) mounted to a fixed overhead pole and also anchored at the ground level, and because of cost is generally found only along certain sections of trails used for World Cup and various other high level speed event race trails.

    The manpower logistics to wide use trail edge netting isn't insignificant by any means.

    In the case of Hunter North, where I know some of the crew who was behind the layout and building and shaping of the trails, their intentions were to create some trails that they'd like to ski and ride themselves as well as the general public. It seems like in this case a multitude of factors from how a trail skis/rides to the general masses with feet of snow and many groomer passes, add in numerous skiers and riders of all abilities, variable weather and lighting conditions, etc, etc, etc and the potential for unfortunate events can happen.

    I'm guessing that Peak/Hunter was already planning on making some grading changes to the new terrain at Hunter North after it's first season of snow and customer use and having seen first-hand how their design of the trails, snow retention, drainage, etc, etc, etc actually went vs how they thought/hoped it would. They're may be some extra reworking of certain trails or parts of this off season now

    Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app
    First on the list would be to move the lift to where it should have been placed in the first place, next to the sixpack! Then redo Wayout, then WhiteCloud..................
    NEVER SUMMER!

  10. #530
    kingslug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Stamford Ct and Stowe
    Posts
    4,338
    Its just tragic that 3 people have died there...i redesign things all the time in my business..usualy before people die..life safety is a big part of my job.
    Theres a million things we could talk/ debate about this. Im sure they had no idea this would happen..but they arent conceding to certain facts. Yet.
    Lets go!
    I'll drive.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 4:02 AM.