Hunter Mtn Expansion Details - Page 66

AlpineZone

Page 66 of 77 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jg17 View Post
    Also looks like Woodstock might be the only glade on the north side now? Greene Glades, Westkill Woods, and Balsam Bypass no longer showing on the daily report.
    Not like any of those glades ever opened last season AFAIR, so maybe they're just shunting those down the memory hole. Forget the "hey we found some more glades here" extra North side trails ever happened and none of us were ever here, this conversation never happened. Pretty sure at least one of those "glades" were only accessible by crossing some pretty stout snowmaking pipes (that's a topic earlier in this thread, I think.) We never got the snow last year to see anyone have a go at them anyway.
    Last winter's short pre-Vail experiment with blue-blacks is over because Vail only has greens, blues and blacks, is what I've heard. Making Twilight and Overlook blacks is eminently sensible, especially for safety-conscious Vail, but it really torpedoes any idea that the North expansion added more much-needed intermediate terrain. How much more blue terrain did North create? One trail and a run-out?

Last edited by So Inclined; Nov 17, 2019 at 10:00 PM.

I don’t know how white cloud will be ski-able this year. They definitely widened belt by the top of the lift, but white cloud in its current state looks like a bunch of 15-20 foot cliffs.

I agree the expansion was borderline useless (for their intended goal). If anything the north trails should be their early or late season offering since it doesn’t really get any sun exposure.

If vail wants to add more blue terrain, it looks like they are going to need to add something further up the hunter East trails..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was up there yesterday, lotta bare real estate, I didn’t even touch belt, spent the day lapping hell gate

Quote Originally Posted by danimals View Post
    I don’t know how white cloud will be ski-able this year. They definitely widened belt by the top of the lift, but white cloud in its current state looks like a bunch of 15-20 foot cliffs.

I agree the expansion was borderline useless (for their intended goal). If anything the north trails should be their early or late season offering since it doesn’t really get any sun exposure.

If vail wants to add more blue terrain, it looks like they are going to need to add something further up the hunter East trails..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    White Cloud as you knew it is no more. They cut a new swatch down so that it connects to Jimmie Huega now - in fact the former lower part of Huega (after the switchback) is now White Cloud. As for old White Cloud, they fenced off the last slope (the part that ran down to Belt) so no one gets any ideas, and cut into the slope (the cut-up cliffs you saw) to widen Belt and fill in/even out the weird slope angles of the part of Belt right above/after the lift.
    I hit Belt yesterday a few times; that particular spot's a little better than it was, but it's still a janky double-fall-line drop that's going to get shaved down to the base by terrified skidders pretty quickly.

Also, the old entrance to Way Out (another "fun" drop in off belt) only looked like it was roped off, but the way I've heard it, that's closed for good - you'll get to Way Out and the West Side by taking a short run that goes under the North lift, just below the terminal, as I understand it.

Nothing's ever getting built above Hunter East is the conventional wisdom.

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol Dirty Noodle View Post
    I was up there yesterday, lotta bare real estate, I didn’t even touch belt, spent the day lapping hell gate
    You missed a good belt!

Quote Originally Posted by So Inclined View Post
    White Cloud as you knew it is no more. They cut a new swatch down so that it connects to Jimmie Huega now - in fact the former lower part of Huega (after the switchback) is now White Cloud. As for old White Cloud, they fenced off the last slope (the part that ran down to Belt) so no one gets any ideas, and cut into the slope (the cut-up cliffs you saw) to widen Belt and fill in/even out the weird slope angles of the part of Belt right above/after the lift.
    I hit Belt yesterday a few times; that particular spot's a little better than it was, but it's still a janky double-fall-line drop that's going to get shaved down to the base by terrified skidders pretty quickly.

Also, the old entrance to Way Out (another "fun" drop in off belt) only looked like it was roped off, but the way I've heard it, that's closed for good - you'll get to Way Out and the West Side by taking a short run that goes under the North lift, just below the terminal, as I understand it.

Nothing's ever getting built above Hunter East is the conventional wisdom.
    The entrance to Wayout is still open. Skinny in the beginning, but much wide below. Also, when getting off of the Northern Express, you go below the lift to get to Wayout and others so not everyone converges...

Quote Originally Posted by andrec10 View Post
    The entrance to Wayout is still open. Skinny in the beginning, but much wide below. Also, when getting off of the Northern Express, you go below the lift to get to Wayout and others so not everyone converges...
    That entrance is till open in the sense that it hasn't been fenced off or destroyed like that last but of old White Cloud was, and seeing that surprised me a little yesterday (of course nothing West or North was 'open' as in skiable yesterday.) The info I heard from someone at Hunter recently was that the only way to Way Out/the West Side would be that new run under the Northern Express. If i heard things correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by So Inclined View Post
    It's still open in the sense that it hasn't been fenced off or destroyed like that last but of old White Cloud was, and seeing that surprised me a little yesterday. The info I heard from someone at Hunter recently was that the only way to Way Out/the West Side would be that new run under the Northern Express. If i heard things correctly.
    You heard wrong. Still can get to it from the same entrance. Nothing more they could do with that. Just much wider right after that. Plus, the traffic from the Northern express merges farther down and that area has more width as well.
    Last edited by andrec10; Nov 18, 2019 at 10:18 AM.

I guess I did! Glad that entrance isn't getting shut completely.

Wish list for spending some Vail capital:

1) Hunter West

HWest.jpg

- allow top of Westway to grow in (keeping the skiers left tree line open as the trail access) and make whatever snowmaking upgrades are required to cover the reduced upper access width and lower 2/3rds of Westway for skiing more than a few days per year.

- cut a connector entrance (with snowmaking) from Clair's to the lower 2/3rd of Westway. Lots of ways thru the trees today, but could make an official entrance.

- cut a couple blue rated connectors (with grooming & snowmaking) from top of the Zephyr thru upper Claires to the Belt. Easier for intermediates to lap Way Out - vrs skating or walking uphill off the Zephyr all day.

2) Hunter Mtn

- Replace B and F lifts with a new TTB HSQ with a load/unload angle station on the flats between B&F lifts (yeh I like to wish). Need a TTB alternative for weekends, when the Flyer is down (Presidents weekend!) or on wind hold.

Or, just replacing F (opened for 84/85 season) with a HSQ will pull more skiers off the 6 pack on peak days.

- How bout a couple bathrooms on the main level of the lodge and a bar that overlooks the slopes?

- Train lift staff to increase loading efficiency on the 6 pack. Keep them combining and directing groups into the final 6 lanes all day versus random times throughout the day.

- Ambassadors on the slopes (Belt, Mainline, loading & unloading zones, etc) to monitor reckless guests and warn or pull tickets as needed.

3) Hunter North

- All out snowmaking for max early to late season coverage, as mentioned above. Should open first and close last!

- Add a full service Day lodge at the base of North to support the extended season and take pressure off the main lodge on weekends.

That should be enough for the next year or two!

Thread Information