• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hunter Mtn Expansion Details

Smellytele

Wish they put in a fixed grip so I could drink more beer when I shred the huntah.

But really, where did peak print this money from. Or what money tree did they cut down.

What’s the plus/minus on chapter 11

They got EB5 monies for Mount Snow so they can then spend the profits there at Huntah (or at least not spend money at snow, Wildcat, Attitash, Crotched and spend it at Huntah instead).

sull1102

Yeah really, how do you New Hampshire guys feel now? Talk about a punch to the gut, even I'm a little jealous of Hunter and at least we're getting the new Carinthia base lodge. Being very recently part of the NH ski crowd and having friends that still are coming out of Boston heading up 93, it's going to be tough to justify the complete lack of investment or improvements at the 3 granite state areas.

Sent from my Pixel using AlpineZone mobile app

So Inclined

Yeah really, how do you New Hampshire guys feel now? [/URL]

Ooof, I can just imagine.
Anecdotally - I work seasonally at Hunter and ski there on the regular now, but for much of my life Attitash was my "home mountain" (despite living 5 hours away), because just about every year my family and I would go there for a week or so. So I've got feelings for the place and try to get up there most years, too. I was up skiing Attitash and Wildcat in mid-March; I like a friendly chairlift chat, and god knows you've got enough time for one if you're going to the top of Attitash. If I was talking with locals, and if I ever mentioned that I live near/ski at/work at Hunter, I'd get a mild earful about how I got to enjoy one of the favored siblings while Attitash was getting screwed.

A couple times, there were friendly-but-not-quite jibes along the lines of "people don't like you too much around here" (as if I worked for/represented Peak!)

No doubt Attitash could use some attention (starting with a new summit lift) and I really hope they get it next, but in terms of investment and importance to the company I think we're all behind Mount Snow.

On that note, I'm excited about Hunter North - more so for the trees and for hopefully spreading the crowds out than the terrain itself. I'll be much more excited if they can keep F Lift in shape and make damn sure neither C Lift nor the Flyer crap the bed on mid-season weekends, too.

benski

Wish they put in a fixed grip so I could drink more beer when I shred the huntah.

But really, where did peak print this money from. Or what money tree did they cut down.

What’s the plus/minus on chapter 11

With Hunter struggling to handle the crowds, this is a much needed investment.

FBGM

They got EB5 monies for Mount Snow so they can then spend the profits there at Huntah (or at least not spend money at snow, Wildcat, Attitash, Crotched and spend it at Huntah instead).

Ah yes. The fake monies. Pulled from the fake tree. Next to the chapter 11 I can’t pay you back fee

Edd

Yeah really, how do you New Hampshire guys feel now?

I’m happy that Wildcat is still a functional ski area, considering the generally low crowds. I’d like more snowmaking but not much else. I ski Attitash but I can take or leave it.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I’m happy that Wildcat is still a functional ski area, considering the generally low crowds. I’d like more snowmaking but not much else. I ski Attitash but I can take or leave it.
Agreed.

And in regards to snowmaking, it's really only the slow expansion early season that bothers me. They cover all the terrain I care for them to cover. Only addition Id really like to see is Tomcat to set a base and maybe Catenary for another reliable groomer on that side of the hill when we go through natural snow dry spells. I do love it as a natural trail, but having a touch more variety when it's a groomer only ski day would be nice.

Other than that and a better draft selection, don't change a thing.

Attitash, obviously a Summit lift and a dedicated bump run off the top. Either Tight Rope or Idiots would work. I think Tim's or Upper Ptarmigan are a little bit steep and wouldn't develop good bumps.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

sull1102

Being capable of building this large of an expansion this quickly might be a nice little help during investor presentations and quarterly calls. They are just cruising right along.

Sent from my Pixel using AlpineZone mobile app

catskillman

Rumer in town is that Peak is in legal talks with the company they hired to cut & grade the new trails. They were supposed to deliver intermediate terrain and they did not!

Everyone has been saying all along that the new trails were not intermediate. We hiked up there this weekend and I have to agree. If you look at them from the road, they never looked easy, but figured they were not bsing.

They did make incredible progress and it is impressive.

This will prove to be very interesting.............

benski

Rumer in town is that Peak is in legal talks with the company they hired to cut & grade the new trails. They were supposed to deliver intermediate terrain and they did not!

Everyone has been saying all along that the new trails were not intermediate. We hiked up there this weekend and I have to agree. If you look at them from the road, they never looked easy, but figured they were not bsing.

They did make incredible progress and it is impressive.

This will prove to be very interesting.............

This seams like a huge mistake for peaks to miss early on. Where the trails cut wrong? Did Peaks have blind face in contractors?

Funky_Catskills

I meant, someone at peeks should have noticed the plans were for trails that are steeper than they wanted. Topographical maps are not that hard to read. I learnt how to do it in elementary school.

I've seen a lot of confusion between percent slope and degree of steepness in my conversations around town.. 45% slope isn't that steep compared to a 45 degree slope. It looks steeper from the road for sure.

x10003q

The width of the trails should mitigate the steepness. Still, there were some tight topographic lines under the trails on the maps. I find it hard to care if the trails are too steep for blue skiers.
More fun skiing for me. :cool:

Funky_Catskills

The width of the trails should mitigate the steepness. Still, there were some tight topographic lines under the trails on the maps. I find it hard to care if the trails are too steep for blue skiers.
More fun skiing for me. :cool:

There are some cliffs mixed in with the northface terrain for sure..

I agree with the blue skier statement.. :)

p_levert

Honestly, this whole story sounds a little ridiculous. Peaks is plenty smart enough to know the range of steepness for intermediate slopes. And there are topo maps and surveyors, so how could there be a surprise? Just doesn't make sense.

jaytrem

Honestly, this whole story sounds a little ridiculous. Peaks is plenty smart enough to know the range of steepness for intermediate slopes. And there are topo maps and surveyors, so how could there be a surprise? Just doesn't make sense.

I figure as long as it's not as steep at Hunter West it's by definition intermediate. That being said, whooohooo, steeper than expected!!! Was already looking forward to it anyway.

slatham

Are you sure this is still an issue? A video from a month ago showed them blasting wide swaths of the upper portion of several trails specifically to make them rate intermediate. And the video from last week mentioned final grading and mulching of the trails. If they had an issue they would address it now, pre-season, before final grading/mulching/seeding. Maybe that blasting was a cost overrun and they are possibly litigating to get the contractor to pay for it?