• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hunter Mtn Expansion Details

catskillman

Chances are that Scottie's would be closed on late-season weekdays too, right? I don't think it's been open every weekday that I've been up there.
There's the new, slightly more upscale sit-down place in the lodge where the sushi restaurant used to be. That seems a slightly better option than the caff, which I'm not really a big fan of either.

no - scotties is in the summit lodge - top of the mountain. has been open every midday I have been there, which has not
been many this year, but will be there Friday........... Not cheap but everything is made to order and good.

So Inclined

no - scotties is in the summit lodge - top of the mountain. has been open every midday I have been there, which has not
been many this year, but will be there Friday........... Not cheap but everything is made to order and good.

Good to know. Most of my mid-day skiing was in December and January, and I found it closed a few times. Maybe just an early season thing.

drewfidelic

I was at Hunter this Tuesday and Scotty’s was closed. Only skiing weekends otherwise this year, I almost forgot how good Hunter is on weekdays.

Scotty told me last week at the Bump Comp that he hopes to do one more Saturday.

catskillman

I was there Friday. Hunter North was closed! The coverage looked great from the lift, wayout was open, and not a bit of ice.

Asked the lift attendant why it was closed and he said because of ice !!!! It was 50 out and no sign of ice anywhere on the mountain. The road from wayout to the 6 pack will most likely be closed today as there was no snow, just a very thin layer of slush.

The mountain has lost a lot of snow, and I do not know how they can expect to sell future tickets if they do not open terrain, and the conditions do not match their typo ridden and false emails. It is comical. Obviously noone re reads them or proof reads them.

This weeks were amusing. I believe it was thursday that was the best. When 1 paragraph contradicted the next. And they said in the afternoon when temps went up the conditions they described were the same as the the morning ones in the prior paragraph.

danimals

I was there Friday. Hunter North was closed! The coverage looked great from the lift, wayout was open, and not a bit of ice.

Asked the lift attendant why it was closed and he said because of ice !!!! It was 50 out and no sign of ice anywhere on the mountain. The road from wayout to the 6 pack will most likely be closed today as there was no snow, just a very thin layer of slush.

The mountain has lost a lot of snow, and I do not know how they can expect to sell future tickets if they do not open terrain, and the conditions do not match their typo ridden and false emails. It is comical. Obviously noone re reads them or proof reads them.

This weeks were amusing. I believe it was thursday that was the best. When 1 paragraph contradicted the next. And they said in the afternoon when temps went up the conditions they described were the same as the the morning ones in the prior paragraph.

That’s unfortunate to hear. I was hoping they would be open until the 11th as that’s my next day off and would love to get to the mountains one last time. Worst case scenario I’ll hoof it to mt snow.

I’m curious to see how long the north trails hold snow. They could run a bare bones late season operation with a few food carts or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So Inclined

That’s unfortunate to hear. I was hoping they would be open until the 11th as that’s my next day off and would love to get to the mountains one last time. Worst case scenario I’ll hoof it to mt snow.

I would expect next Sunday to be the last day of the season at Hunter.

legalskier

Wayout is just as shady/icy as the North trails, probably more, so by his logic they should've closed it as well- his explanation doesn't make much sense to me.

danimals

Lift attendant probably had no clue...just what patrol told em to say.

catskillman

Wayout is just as shady/icy as the North trails, probably more, so by his logic they should've closed it as well- his explanation doesn't make much sense to me.

Agreed. Wayout was soft as could be.

Someone on here said it opened about 12:30. Why they waited makes no sense at all. There was no ice and the coverage was great. Much better than the runout from Wayout.

No one can understand the mountains logic on anything anymore. I think the emails and snow report would be more accurate if someone in St Louis wrote them using a drone. The website never matches the printed report they post, and what is actually open often matches neither....

Ol Dirty Noodle

Agreed. Wayout was soft as could be.

Someone on here said it opened about 12:30. Why they waited makes no sense at all. There was no ice and the coverage was great. Much better than the runout from Wayout.

No one can understand the mountains logic on anything anymore. I think the emails and snow report would be more accurate if someone in St Louis wrote them using a drone. The website never matches the printed report they post, and what is actually open often matches neither....

Speaking of drones, do any mountains allow them? What about a tracking drone that was also tethered to the rider? I saw footage from a “kite” drone the other day and it actually works/looks really good. I’d love to get one but knowing they’re banned at most mountains is what keeps me from pulling the trigger

danimals

Speaking of drones, do any mountains allow them? What about a tracking drone that was also tethered to the rider? I saw footage from a “kite” drone the other day and it actually works/looks really good. I’d love to get one but knowing they’re banned at most mountains is what keeps me from pulling the trigger

A 360 cam looks like a drone following you closely as it even blocks out the pole it’s on.

Ol Dirty Noodle

A 360 cam looks like a drone following you closely as it even blocks out the pole it’s on.

The drone I’m looking a flies anywhere from 5-50 yards back and shoots with 4 lenses at staggered zooms, plus a slow-mo so you can “add” real digital zoom in post... aka gnarwal McGarwal footage

catskillman

Breaking news from Hunter's morning email !!!

"Please be aware that Ski Patrol is currently assessing Hunter North and Hunter West. If conditions allow, we anticipate Overlook and Rusk Road will be open on Hunter North along with the Northern Express. Please stay tuned for opening times on Twilight and Rip’s Return as well as Wayout on Hunter West."

Apparently they still don't understand it's difficult to get to Rusk Road unless Wayout (or at least Clair's) is open. ⛷️

How do these people still have a job?? The obviously do not ride/ski the mountain they work for.

legalskier

In the old days of racing ,drivers were killed at an alarming rate. They would go off into the woods..and die. Now they have barriers to prevent that...hmm..what an amazing idea. A gate to go in the woods that is either open..or closed and problem solved. A lot easier than re pitching anything.

And yet, a fence didn't prevent this young lady's death at Shawnee (though there also are allegations against her boarding school and its racing coach):
https://www.poconorecord.com/news/20190302/shawnee-mountain-ski-area-named-in-wrongful-death-suit

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4117852/15-year-old-boarding-school-student-killed-skiing-Pocono-Mountains-resort.html

kingslug

Hitting anything at high speed can kill you..theres no guarantee of anything. But its better than hitting a tree. But we ski the trees and take our chances. Skiing will never be considered a safe sport. Probably why we like it.

Tdizzle

Does anyone know the full details on the D Lift chairs being replaced with double chairs? We were wondering if it has anything to do with the incident from a few years ago. They have one double chair on the line now. All week they were clearing brush from under that lift line.

catskillman

Does anyone know the full details on the D Lift chairs being replaced with double chairs? We were wondering if it has anything to do with the incident from a few years ago. They have one double chair on the line now. All week they were clearing brush from under that lift line.

Like the lift line is not long enough now - and that lift is painfully slow. What a mess that will be!