• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hunter Mtn Expansion Details

So Inclined

dang.

best I can do this weekend is a day trip to the cats. not sure it will be worth it.

They were blowing air through the guns on Twilight (a yet to be christened trail on the north side) today - much too windy to actually blow snow without most of it ending up in Kingston - so maybe, maybe? there'll be brand new terrain by the weekend.

slatham

dang.

best I can do this weekend is a day trip to the cats. not sure it will be worth it.

PLATTEKILL!!! Perfect lake effect set up. They're report 3-5" Wed and 4" last night. Cam and radar indicate still snowing. I'd go!

cdskier

PLATTEKILL!!! Perfect lake effect set up. They're report 3-5" Wed and 4" last night. Cam and radar indicate still snowing. I'd go!

Belleayre's been getting a lot of the same snow that Platty has been getting. Amazing how big the difference between Belle/Platty and Hunter is in terms of snowfall totals so far this season (40+" vs 18"). Only problem with Platty is as of right now they say they're still only opening 3 more trails for this weekend which doesn't give them that much. That could change though if the snow keeps up so certainly worth keeping an eye on.

JimG.

Staff member
Belleayre's been getting a lot of the same snow that Platty has been getting. Amazing how big the difference between Belle/Platty and Hunter is in terms of snowfall totals so far this season (40+" vs 18"). Only problem with Platty is as of right now they say they're still only opening 3 more trails for this weekend which doesn't give them that much. That could change though if the snow keeps up so certainly worth keeping an eye on.

I was going to go to K tomorrow but the wind forecasts have me thinking otherwise. I have to be home tomorrow night to go on my son's HS ski trip Saturday. I think Belle is going to be the better option. Less than 12" of snow total won't open up much at Platty, but Belle has plenty of terrain open and 12" on top will be sweet.

Belle/Platty always get more snow than Hunter, I believe last year's totals were Belle 150", Platty 144", and Hunter 109".

danimals

Ive never realized the snowfall difference. Thats pretty crazy, but looking back on it, Hunter definitely feels more poocono-ish based on snow conditions and the amount of natural.

cdskier

Belle/Platty always get more snow than Hunter, I believe last year's totals were Belle 150", Platty 144", and Hunter 109".

Ive never realized the snowfall difference. Thats pretty crazy, but looking back on it, Hunter definitely feels more poocono-ish based on snow conditions and the amount of natural.

Yea, I used to keep track of snow totals at a bunch of different resorts in a spreadsheet and Belle/Platty generally speaking averaged about 40-50 inches more than Hunter on a pretty consistent basis. Looks like last year's numbers from Jim are right in line with that.

Hunter does have an advantage over both of the others in terms of snowmaking power though.

slatham

Yea, I used to keep track of snow totals at a bunch of different resorts in a spreadsheet and Belle/Platty generally speaking averaged about 40-50 inches more than Hunter on a pretty consistent basis. Looks like last year's numbers from Jim are right in line with that.

Hunter does have an advantage over both of the others in terms of snowmaking power though.

Generally speaking Plattekill gets more snow than Hunter, Windham or Belleayre during lake effect snow events. This is because Plattekill is on the western, upslope side of the Cats for a west or especially NW wind. Belle gets this better than Hunter or Windham, but still Plattekill wins and often by meaningful amounts. Another factor is that Plattekill is higher in elevation, especially at the base.

cdskier

Those numbers were taken directly from the respective ski areas' websites the end of last season.

That's where I used to get the data to compile my spreadsheet before I stopped doing it. I've noticed Windham doesn't seem to report their season total snowfall on their website for some reason (and looking at my spreadsheet the data for Windham was blank most years that I did track this stuff...so I'm assuming they didn't report it in the past either). Seems odd to not report a stat like that.

SnowRock

Anyone speak to how Hunter is looking lately conditions wise? I likely cant get to VT this weekend but need to keep my legs for jackson trip coming up so was going to try and head up tomorrow (and yes I understand what Hunter is like on saturdays).

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..
Anyone speak to how Hunter is looking lately conditions wise? I likely cant get to VT this weekend but need to keep my legs for jackson trip coming up so was going to try and head up tomorrow (and yes I understand what Hunter is like on saturdays).

I would say it's looking quite good for this weekend. Polish up your Human Slalom skills when heading over to Hunter North...lol.

SnowRock

I would say it's looking quite good for this weekend. Polish up your Human Slalom skills when heading over to Hunter North...lol.

Ha... maybe ill head there first to check it out. As always... will be an early departure to make it there before the flyer opens and try and get in as many runs as possible before the hordes show! And thanks.