• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hunter Mtn Expansion Details

So Inclined

In a video released today, the guy says that the new 6 pack is 3200 ft long with 1000 ft vertical. Wow, that's actually pretty steep. The length/vert ratio of 3.2 compares with 4.0 for most of the lifts at Okemo, which are true intermediate pitch.

The video also show a bit of the trail map. Nice, 4 glade areas!

https://twitter.com/i/status/1057727449767788544

I think it also said the trip from top to bottom will take 3 1/2 minutes. Gonna be a fun time lappin' those glades (if the snow is there)!

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
How long till Peak has two places with two detach 6 packs? Carinthia in five years or so?

Sent from my Pixel using AlpineZone mobile app

I'd bet on Canyon getting replaced with a 6 before Carinthia. Carinthia just doesn't have the trail capacity going down. 3 trails plus the access trail into Sunbrook no one takes and the natural trail down the side of Carinthia no one takes.

IMO, my stance on what would be best for Mount Snow has been...move current Sunbrook quad to Heavy Metal (thus giving Carinthia a capacity boost it needs). Sunbrook quad becomes a detach quad. Then replace the summit lodge and Challenger at the same time. Then replace Canyon with a 6-pack. Then and only then will the Sundance and Ego Alley lifts truly be not needed. The thing with Mount Snow is much of the terrain on the North Face and Sunbrook is underutilized, creating the massive lines on the Main Face the mountain is infamous for. By making North Face and Sunbrook detachable lifts you'd spread people much more efficiently.

drjeff

I'd bet on Canyon getting replaced with a 6 before Carinthia. Carinthia just doesn't have the trail capacity going down. 3 trails plus the access trail into Sunbrook no one takes and the natural trail down the side of Carinthia no one takes.

IMO, my stance on what would be best for Mount Snow has been...move current Sunbrook quad to Heavy Metal (thus giving Carinthia a capacity boost it needs). Sunbrook quad becomes a detach quad. Then replace the summit lodge and Challenger at the same time. Then replace Canyon with a 6-pack. Then and only then will the Sundance and Ego Alley lifts truly be not needed. The thing with Mount Snow is much of the terrain on the North Face and Sunbrook is underutilized, creating the massive lines on the Main Face the mountain is infamous for. By making North Face and Sunbrook detachable lifts you'd spread people much more efficiently.

I highly doubt that Ego goes away anytime soon. Multiple mornings a year in de-ice situations and/or big wind situations, that's one of the only options to get one out of the base area and up the hill, and since with a skate over via Link to the top of Canyon Quad you can access the Northface if it's just an icing and not a wind hold situation. So while the vast majority of the time it's spinning it's not a vital lift, there are times when it's absolutely an essential lift.

The only 2 ways that I could see Ego going away in the next 10 years or so, would be if mechanically it can't operate anymore, or the more likely thing would be if Mount Snow ever decides to fully get the Ego Trail itself homologated for racing purposes. Other than that I anticipate that I'll be having multiple 12 or so minute rides a year on it for years to come 8)

GregoryIsaacs

I highly doubt that Ego goes away anytime soon. Multiple mornings a year in de-ice situations and/or big wind situations, that's one of the only options to get one out of the base area and up the hill, and since with a skate over via Link to the top of Canyon Quad you can access the Northface if it's just an icing and not a wind hold situation. So while the vast majority of the time it's spinning it's not a vital lift, there are times when it's absolutely an essential lift.

The only 2 ways that I could see Ego going away in the next 10 years or so, would be if mechanically it can't operate anymore, or the more likely thing would be if Mount Snow ever decides to fully get the Ego Trail itself homologated for racing purposes. Other than that I anticipate that I'll be having multiple 12 or so minute rides a year on it for years to come 8)

Agreed, this lift is literally history as many of the lattice towers and upper unloading station were part of the original gondola. As for the pod, I think its one of the most underutilized areas of the mountain judging by the amazing skiing you get there days after storms.

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..
Agreed, this lift is literally history as many of the lattice towers and upper unloading station were part of the original gondola. As for the pod, I think its one of the most underutilized areas of the mountain judging by the amazing skiing you get there days after storms.

Now back to our scheduled programming.....

jg17

Based on the photos of terminal progress last week, I would say they'll probably be done or at least close this week. Maybe we will see them stringing the haul rope next week? Wouldn't be surprised to see an opening in about a month or so.

jg17

Haul rope was spliced today, so only chairs, testing, and inspection left on the lift. Not quite sure why they blew snow on Overlook this week since they can't drop any ropes without a functioning lift. Should finally be able to get a first in person look tomorrow since Belt Parkway is opening up.

benski

Haul rope was spliced today, so only chairs, testing, and inspection left on the lift. Not quite sure why they blew snow on Overlook this week since they can't drop any ropes without a functioning lift. Should finally be able to get a first in person look tomorrow since Belt Parkway is opening up.

Why not open way out?

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..
Pathetic snowmaking today and this entire week. Great temps and not a whole lot to show for it. It sure shows that Bruce has left the building! Saw an electrical fire on the bottom of Gun hill, hence the shutdown of the bottom of it. They are making on Wayout now.

RichT

N Haledon, NJ/Jewett, NY/South Seaside Park, NJ
I was there today, and went down Belt to check out the new lift. My 2 cents...........why didn't they put it up on the top of WhiteCloud instead of in that giant hole they dug on the edge of the belt! So the way I see it (please correct me if I'm wrong) but if you go down to the bottom of the new lift, the only way back to the top is take it back up then go down WayOut to the Quad and up or go down the Belt to the main area and up the six.

benski

I was there today, and went down Belt to check out the new lift. My 2 cents...........why didn't they put it up on the top of WhiteCloud instead of in that giant hole they dug on the edge of the belt! So the way I see it (please correct me if I'm wrong) but if you go down to the bottom of the new lift, the only way back to the top is take it back up then go down WayOut to the Quad and up or go down the Belt to the main area and up the six.

They probably wanted to keep people off the stretch of belt and way out above the quad.

The Belt is now even more fun and dangerous. The new entrance to Wayout is really Expert. Lots of snowmaking going on, not sure why the complaints. They just make it differently now. Today featured great snow on Hellgate through 7th. Blowing Overlook TTB, Racers started today. Gunhill, Dropoff will be open tomorrow. We should the full front on the next week. Oh it was sunny too!

Funky_Catskills

Overheard this weekend about steepness of Hunter North...

"Well there's intermediate and there's Hunter intermediate"