• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hunter Mtn Expansion Details

RichT

N Haledon, NJ/Jewett, NY/South Seaside Park, NJ
Ok here's my prospective, today with the crowds of skiers(?) that were on the northside i'm thinking ski patrol is going to be very very busy there. From the 90 degree turn and 30 degree pitch, and not to mention all those boarders hanging along the fence you have to make to get on Wayout, PLUS the fact that the intermediates think these are intermediate trails it's a goat f$#k. I'm just wondering how much it's going to cost to move that lift up to the top of Whitecloud.............

antman12

3.5 minutes/ 1000 vert

Was on the North Side yesterday for the first time and came to post this. 3 minutes and 35 seconds from the time my butt hit the seat and left the seat. I had to time it after my first ride, I couldn't believe how quick the ride was.

Great day today out of the wind on the North Side. Just walked a few up from Drop Off. The food truck is really good too. Flyer is now open.

tnt1234

really looking forward to checking this new pod out....

Still have to get to Bell and ride teh new Gondi also....good times in the catskills...

kingslug

Well that was better than expected. I think the new area is going to transform the mountain into a very viable alternative to S Vt. Now as far as the blue rating..considering the amount of collisions and yard sales..
But then again conditions today were a bit sporty.

catskillman

Well that was better than expected. I think the new area is going to transform the mountain into a very viable alternative to S Vt. Now as far as the blue rating..considering the amount of collisions and yard sales..

i have not heard a single individual think the terrain is intermediate. Conditions were sad today - ice and rock

everywhere..

yesterday was insane --college week. Bunck of drunk snowboarders

tnt1234

i have not heard a single individual think the terrain is intermediate. Conditions were sad today - ice and rock

everywhere..

yesterday was insane --college week. Bunck of drunk snowboarders

Is it tougher than intermediate?

John9

I have not skied these runs, but this is interesting to read. Over the years, I have seen many runs at different areas re
Rated from blue to black, I guess to play it safe. As we all know, there is a broad range of intermediate. Some runs are much closer to green and others are closer to black. I think the sometimes used rating of the blue square black diamond combo might be a good idea.

benski

I agree the blue black combo is a good improvement or the rarer double blue. Double blue has a nice ring to it. From NY-23 those new trails at Hunter look like expert trails. The industry needs to figure out a way to standardize these rating so people can trust them.

RichT

N Haledon, NJ/Jewett, NY/South Seaside Park, NJ
If you include all of the people on them that shouldn't of been then it's a triple Black! Today was even worst then a couple days ago, the Belt area behind the new lift is now like a Black! I'm an advanced skier and i'm going to avoid these new area's unless it's during the week.

JimG.

Staff member
I've noticed that there has been no snowmaking at all on Lower K, Upper Crossover, Racers, or Purna. Usually Racers has been in play a few weeks by now.

What's up with that?

catskillman

If you include all of the people on them that shouldn't of been then it's a triple Black! Today was even worst then a couple days ago, the Belt area behind the new lift is now like a Black! I'm an advanced skier and i'm going to avoid these new area's unless it's during the week.

I agree - that whole side including the belt, white cloue and wayout will only see me midweek.

And next week is college week again!

And today was insane - when is too many lift ticket sales too many!!! I know it is hard to judge how many passholders will show up etc.... but how many of the folks there today were irrated beyond .....

It is 3:333 and I just fchecked the webcam and the 6 pack line is jammed.......

zyk

I've noticed that there has been no snowmaking at all on Lower K, Upper Crossover, Racers, or Purna. Usually Racers has been in play a few weeks by now.

What's up with that?

Observations from earlier this season seem to indicate that allocated a lot of snowmaking resources to Hunter North instead of their advanced terrain. Even the effort on Claire's seems weak and thin (also just blow skiers right of the donut already it makes the trail so much better).

Furthermore why allocate resources to the new rusk road trail so soon? Looks to serve only as a run out from Hunter west to Hunter north. The conspiracy theorist in me suspects this is so they don't need to run the z lift midweek...

Hope I'm wrong.

benski

Furthermore why allocate resources to the new rusk road trail so soon? Looks to serve only as a run out from Hunter west to Hunter north. The conspiracy theorist in me suspects this is so they don't need to run the z lift midweek...

Hope I'm wrong.

They must be excited open there new runs. I think they need to have all there intermediate terrain for Christmas’s week.

skifree

I love the bit sporty comment.
Lmao

So Inclined

What's up with that?

Not to deny the basic point you're making - there are some big trails that are conspicuously bare now, and they stayed that way even when the temps dipped low enough to blow snow - but the weather's hardly been cooperative the last couple weeks, to say the least. It feels like we've been riding that big first storm and early cold temps for weeks now. The season started off hot (and by that I mean cold :)) but another week like the past one, weather-wise, and I'll be getting nervous for it.