• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hunter Mtn Expansion Details

cdskier

Yeah, I don't particularly care for Mt. Snow, but I think Peaks developed it very nicely considering what they have there.

So, is the Oxytocin family no longer an owner?

Nope...Vail paid out for all the outstanding shares of Peaks when the deal closed. So the Sacklers did make a nice chunk of money, but they no longer have any ownership (unless they bought shares of Vail separately)

kingslug

Well..a lot of them were kids trying to get down a pretty icy mogul field..littered with people..trying to get down an icy mogul field.

Funky_Catskills

Well..a lot of them were kids trying to get down a pretty icy mogul field..littered with people..trying to get down an icy mogul field.

Sound pretty dramatic.. Poor shitty skier kids... Was the weeping and gnashing of the teeth?
Did you call DYFS?

But yeah - good - next time they will learn to stay the fuck out of the pretty icy mogul field..

Funky_Catskills

It was not a mogul field. It was just icy and they were going too fast for the conditions. All the incidents were also after lunch.

There were a lot of variables.. Old and untuned equipment as well..
I rode that face dozens of times and only had a blast!

Slidebrook87

Are you talking about Hunter North? I believe that’s where the accidents occurred. The people must have been highly intoxicated or not in control to have skied into a tree. Those trails skied like any other blue, so for sure it’s not the trail ratings. Hunter attracts a lot of beginner skiers from NYC. I haven’t done research on this, but what I suspect happened is that somebody who was not a very talented skier thought it would be cool to skip Hunter East (One) completely and go directly to the brand new trails. Once he went here, he lost control and unfortunately passed away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

catskillman

Are you talking about Hunter North? I believe that’s where the accidents occurred. The people must have been highly intoxicated or not in control to have skied into a tree. Those trails skied like any other blue, so for sure it’s not the trail ratings. Hunter attracts a lot of beginner skiers from NYC. I haven’t done research on this, but what I suspect happened is that somebody who was not a very talented skier thought it would be cool to skip Hunter East (One) completely and go directly to the brand new trails. Once he went here, he lost control and unfortunately passed away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not true.

Hunter/Peak Resorts quickly changed their rating to Blue/Black (they put a black diamond inside the blue square with electrical tape).

Vail has now changed them to Black, and left some off the trail map.

For a refresher - read the article in this months Ski magazine. However, it only speaks to the deaths and the 2 broken legs on opening day, not the 50+ injuries during the season.