Prez Week 2020 thumbnail intel thread

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Prez Week 2020 thumbnail intel thread

Don't have time to write a full TR? Here's a thread for quick intel- ski area you're at, date(s), conditions/weather, crowds, etc. Especially- how are they set up for the rest of the season?

If it's snowin' I'm goin'

Friday - Sunapee - Not busy in the morning good groomers. Glades were ok but won’t withstand a bad weather event.

Saturday- Pico full coverage, good options in the glades. Busy but with everything and every lift open not really an issue. Pico doesn’t go late into the spring but for the glades to remain good they need more snow. A semi long warm up and freeze would really hurt them. Would hurt a lot of their terrain in fact. I am a homer at Pico. Snowmaking improvements on main runs are very noticeable in a good way.

Sunday - Skiway was 100% open. Low crowding but not empty. Same comments as Pico but I would use my glades comment to refer to their non snowmaking trails. They are in good shape if conditions stay favorable with a modest refresh of snow. A warm up would really impact them.

Monday - Whaleback had a lot open. Given their location and lack of height they could lose terrain quickly in a warm up. I ski here once or twice a year and the improvements are really starting to show. Fingers crossed for these guys. Several trails were not open. They need snow to get them open.
    2019-2020: 35 (Pico 9, Wachusett 5, Sunapee 4, Crotched 3, Skiway 2, Sugarbush, Cannon 2, BEast, Whaleback, Sugar Bowl, Northstar, Kirkwood, Heavenly 2, Sierra at Tahoe)
    2018-2019: 36, 2017-2018 season: 43, 2016-2017 season: 43, 2015-2016 season: 27, 2014-2015 season: 29, 2013-2014 season: 25

We were at Sunday River all 3 days. The crowds were minimal; less busy than a typical midwinter weekend. Both the Silver and Ikon passholders were blacked out Sat/Sun, which probably was a big factor.

Conditions are as good as they have been all winter. There havenít been any big storms, but the nickel and dime storms have added up, and there havenít been any big meltdowns.

Itís 100% open, with all the natural trails in play and bumpy fun. While some of the steeper woods (EG upper poppy fields) would be better with more snow, I still had a great time there. And more snow coming tomorrow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sb Saturday..very cold, low crowds..everything skied well..good coverage
    Stowe Sunday ..warmer, still no crowds due to blackout..super coverage..everything open
    Stowe Monday..no crowds early but around 10 they came..single line was long but manageable. Gondola packed as it was windy and cold.
    Everything open..moguls moguls moguls...even snowed an inch over night.
    Lets go!
    I'll drive.

About 15-18" fell over all the Wasatch Mtns on Prez Weekend, setting things up nicely for short term future.

Isn't Prez week a myth in the East? Meaning, after Monday there's really no crowds and it's a joke to charge holiday rates and have blackout days. Presidents Day weekend is real, Presidents Day week is a scam.

Quote Originally Posted by jimk View Post
    About 15-18" fell over all the Wasatch Mtns on Prez Weekend, setting things up nicely for short term future.
    yea, powmow skied unbelievably awesome during the storm on sunday. i think powmow is technically in the uintas.

What I experienced this weekend.

Saturday at Mount Snow - the cold kept the crowds down. Kind of felt volume wise like a light volume Saturday did a few years ago.

Sunday at Mount Snow as a big crowd, don't think it was quite the BIG crowd that MLK Sunday was, but it was a big crowd

Monday at Pico - one of the regulars I rode up the upper quad with said it was a big day for Pico - I don't think I waited more than 5 or 6 chairs for either quad the 5 full top to bottom laps I made when I wasn't watching my daughter's race. The parking lots closest to the lodge were full, the outer lot by Route 4 looked to be in the 2/3rds-3/4ths full range. Lot's of IKON passes hanging off of peoples coats too

The snow quality all 3 days was very good!

My wife tells me that it's a pretty light crowd today at Mount Snow and there's maybe an inch or so and still snowing about noon
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days, '17-'18 season 52 days, '18-'19 season 45 days, '19-'20 season 52 days '07-'20 seasons: 664 Days

Quote Originally Posted by p_levert View Post
    Isn't Prez week a myth in the East? Meaning, after Monday there's really no crowds and it's a joke to charge holiday rates and have blackout days. Presidents Day weekend is real, Presidents Day week is a scam.
    Because of the simple fact that many schools have atleast President's Day off, some also have the Tuesday, and others the full week, the volume at many resorts on President's day is no joke. Pico had most of their parking lots filled yesterday when I was skiing there, and when I drove by the access roads to Killington (and by the probably 2/3rds full Skyeship base lot), Okemo and Stratton on my way back to Mount Snow, it certainly wasn't a typical Monday volume of cars leaving any of them in the 2:15 to 3:45 range I went by them.

I think the notion that the entire Presidents week is very crowded no longer applies, but President's Day itself, that's still a worthy blackout and/or Holiday rate charging day for the East Coast ski industry
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days, '17-'18 season 52 days, '18-'19 season 45 days, '19-'20 season 52 days '07-'20 seasons: 664 Days

the weekend following president's week has never been noticeably crowded for me the past few years.

Thread Information