• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hunter Mtn Expansion Details

kendo

^agreed. It's been BS for a very long time. In the 35 yrs its been cut, they've had enough time to regrow a forest on 44. Instead, it's been Hunters big middle finger of we don't care about our expert guest experience for so long.

So Inclined

I agree. But Vail might take a look at it and deem it a big risk/ expense for not a lot of skiers. Which I think is BS as Hunter is made for advanced and experts who like steep...and 44 is steep.

I think they'll probably deem it a big expense and a big risk, and those are likely two major strikes against it in Vail's "Safety First!" eyes.
Because it's not just wide and steep but continuously, unendingly, uninterruptedly steep pretty much all the way down. Compare to other steep, typically-unbumped Hunter trails like Racer's, where if you fall high up on the steepest part on a good firm day you'll only go what, 90-100 yards before you drop into that undulation above the run out (ask me how I know this.)
As far as I remember 44 (I last skied it two seasons ago, the last time it was open) there's minimal if any natural undulations and no crossing cat-tracks or places for a skier to stop himself if he goes down. If it's wind-scoured to Hunter specifications for firmness (and it WILL be scoured in its current dimensions) then you're likely to go a very long way, likely in a very unarrestable way if you hit the deck on it with speed.

raisingarizona

Wait.....they had cleared two new glazed areas and now they are closing them?

This project doesn’t seem very thought out. Wow.

kingslug

Hunter has not been known for glade skiing ..for a while now. But I will never forget the storm of the century that dropped 8 feet in 3 days. EVERYTHING was open..every inch. Need another one of those.

Seriously, if you don't know Hunter than you might as well stop guessing. 2 of 3 last years, those "new " glades were all ski able cleared or not. Its great terrain for advanced skiers. Regarding, the snowmaking pipe, well thats something we'll figure out. There are plenty of other access points.

So Inclined

2 of 3 last years, those "new " glades were all ski able cleared or not. Its great terrain for advanced skiers.

I'm pretty sure the "new" glades being referred to are the ones that were added as part of Hunter North, but never opened last season because there was damn little natural over there. If you were bushwhacking your way way off piste into those trees in the years before that, good on ya. You were pretty much the only one.

kendo

Hunter just announced on Facebook, the 6 pack will remain down for tomorrow 12/2 with mechanical issues. Sounds like part(s) not onsite.

gregnye

That 6-pack lift must know when its gonna snow. The only time I've ever been to hunter was when that other massive southern NY storm happened 2 years ago. Hunter staff was so happy that they got the part to fix the lift in time for the storm, only for the power to go out to the ski area, 2 hours after opening.

kingslug

And its still coming down..will be intetesting to see how the early season people handle this..For a lot of them this is their first or second day of the season..
Yardsale day?

Tdizz

And its still coming down..will be intetesting to see how the early season people handle this..For a lot of them this is their first or second day of the season..
Yardsale day?

I predict a packed bar at the stroke of 11. The weekend/holiday crowd are usually done by 11 on a real snow day.