• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hunter Mtn Expansion Details

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..
It's still open in the sense that it hasn't been fenced off or destroyed like that last but of old White Cloud was, and seeing that surprised me a little yesterday. The info I heard from someone at Hunter recently was that the only way to Way Out/the West Side would be that new run under the Northern Express. If i heard things correctly.

You heard wrong. Still can get to it from the same entrance. Nothing more they could do with that. Just much wider right after that. Plus, the traffic from the Northern express merges farther down and that area has more width as well.

Last edited:

kendo

Wish list for spending some Vail capital:

1) Hunter West

HWest.jpg

- allow top of Westway to grow in (keeping the skiers left tree line open as the trail access) and make whatever snowmaking upgrades are required to cover the reduced upper access width and lower 2/3rds of Westway for skiing more than a few days per year.

- cut a connector entrance (with snowmaking) from Clair's to the lower 2/3rd of Westway. Lots of ways thru the trees today, but could make an official entrance.

- cut a couple blue rated connectors (with grooming & snowmaking) from top of the Zephyr thru upper Claires to the Belt. Easier for intermediates to lap Way Out - vrs skating or walking uphill off the Zephyr all day.

2) Hunter Mtn

- Replace B and F lifts with a new TTB HSQ with a load/unload angle station on the flats between B&F lifts (yeh I like to wish). Need a TTB alternative for weekends, when the Flyer is down (Presidents weekend!) or on wind hold.

Or, just replacing F (opened for 84/85 season) with a HSQ will pull more skiers off the 6 pack on peak days.

- How bout a couple bathrooms on the main level of the lodge and a bar that overlooks the slopes?

- Train lift staff to increase loading efficiency on the 6 pack. Keep them combining and directing groups into the final 6 lanes all day versus random times throughout the day.

- Ambassadors on the slopes (Belt, Mainline, loading & unloading zones, etc) to monitor reckless guests and warn or pull tickets as needed.

3) Hunter North

- All out snowmaking for max early to late season coverage, as mentioned above. Should open first and close last!

- Add a full service Day lodge at the base of North to support the extended season and take pressure off the main lodge on weekends.

That should be enough for the next year or two!

danimals

Either do that or let westway grow in and put the current snowguns elsewhere. It’s absurd to have such a large trail bare all winter long. In fact, it almost seems west side is forgotten. Maybe with north being a failure (in terms of adding intermediate terrain) they can label that whole side hunter west and add a lodge with access to both areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kendo

New map online. Glades gone. Way In added and new White Cloud.

Screenshot_20191123-072008_Chrome.jpg

cdskier

...and figured out they need some natural snow to have glades.

You’d really think they should have realized that before they put them in (and made such a big deal about them with all the videos during construction about then). It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to know how much natural snow hunter averages.

Pretty amazing (or perhaps sad) that so many people here on this forum called it right about how poorly planned the project was when they announced it yet peak’s own PMs and staff couldn’t see that the terrain wasn’t right for their stated goal of increasing intermediate trails.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

kingslug

Maybe..they dont ski?
For the past 20 years ive been undoing what mechanical engineers design..they design on paper..i actualy operate the systems..last 5 years on a multi billion dollar basis..
New construction...pretty much sucks these days

kendo

Either do that or let westway grow in and put the current snowguns elsewhere. It’s absurd to have such a large trail bare all winter long. In fact, it almost seems west side is forgotten.

What's the challenge to opening West Way for skiing the whole season ... at least the lower 2/3rds like on my wish list? Water supply, air, power or cost?

I get there's a lot of acreage to cover but sucks to see it bare on every ride up the lift while lapping Claire's or Anna if open.

kingslug

Its pretty steep so everything falls down it..plus its too wide..since they moved the lift over there they shoukd eliminate that area by the lift as its too rocky any way..ive seen people fall there and get cut up. Narrow it down and blow it..

Newpylong

Considering there are lines on each side (to hedge against wind direction) it has always been a pure management decision. Hunter has adequate water and more air than many.

JimG.

Staff member
Considering there are lines on each side (to hedge against wind direction) it has always been a pure management decision. Hunter has adequate water and more air than many.

This.

Especially since the Slutsky's sold to Peaks.

JimG.

Staff member
Granted I haven't skied at Hunter in quite a while I don't remember Bruce making snow on it either, well before Peaks:

https://www.alpinezone.com/skiing/c...hallenge-2004-sarah-nagel-of-hunter-mountain/

Back in the day I recall a flexible policy that depended on a natural snow fall to trigger any snowmaking. So something like every 3 years on average they would make snow on 44.

Towards the end of the Slutsky ownership they ignored 44 mostly. Then Peaks made snow on it the first year they owned Hunter. And that was pretty much it.

It's illogical width makes covering it almost impossible.

kingslug

I agree. But Vail might take a look at it and deem it a big risk/ expense for not a lot of skiers. Which I think is BS as Hunter is made for advanced and experts who like steep...and 44 is steep.