Hunter Mtn Expansion Details - Page 68

AlpineZone

Page 68 of 78 FirstFirst ... 18586667686970 ... LastLast
    Considering there are lines on each side (to hedge against wind direction) it has always been a pure management decision. Hunter has adequate water and more air than many.

Quote Originally Posted by Newpylong View Post
    Considering there are lines on each side (to hedge against wind direction) it has always been a pure management decision. Hunter has adequate water and more air than many.
    This.

Especially since the Slutsky's sold to Peaks.

Granted I haven't skied at Hunter in quite a while I don't remember Bruce making snow on it either, well before Peaks:

https://www.alpinezone.com/skiing/ch...nter-mountain/
    Last edited by Newpylong; Nov 24, 2019 at 6:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Newpylong View Post
    Granted I haven't skied at Hunter in quite a while I don't remember Bruce making snow on it either, well before Peaks:

https://www.alpinezone.com/skiing/ch...nter-mountain/
    Back in the day I recall a flexible policy that depended on a natural snow fall to trigger any snowmaking. So something like every 3 years on average they would make snow on 44.

Towards the end of the Slutsky ownership they ignored 44 mostly. Then Peaks made snow on it the first year they owned Hunter. And that was pretty much it.

It's illogical width makes covering it almost impossible.

Maybe if enough people petitioned them about it they (Vail) might consider changing it.
    Lets go!
    I'll drive.

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter...
    Quote Originally Posted by kingslug View Post
    Maybe if enough people petitioned them about it they (Vail) might consider changing it.
    Again, line it with Super polecats! Fixed since money is not a problem now!

I agree. But Vail might take a look at it and deem it a big risk/ expense for not a lot of skiers. Which I think is BS as Hunter is made for advanced and experts who like steep...and 44 is steep.
    Lets go!
    I'll drive.

^agreed. It's been BS for a very long time. In the 35 yrs its been cut, they've had enough time to regrow a forest on 44. Instead, it's been Hunters big middle finger of we don't care about our expert guest experience for so long.

Quote Originally Posted by kingslug View Post
    I agree. But Vail might take a look at it and deem it a big risk/ expense for not a lot of skiers. Which I think is BS as Hunter is made for advanced and experts who like steep...and 44 is steep.
    I think they'll probably deem it a big expense and a big risk, and those are likely two major strikes against it in Vail's "Safety First!" eyes.
    Because it's not just wide and steep but continuously, unendingly, uninterruptedly steep pretty much all the way down. Compare to other steep, typically-unbumped Hunter trails like Racer's, where if you fall high up on the steepest part on a good firm day you'll only go what, 90-100 yards before you drop into that undulation above the run out (ask me how I know this.)
    As far as I remember 44 (I last skied it two seasons ago, the last time it was open) there's minimal if any natural undulations and no crossing cat-tracks or places for a skier to stop himself if he goes down. If it's wind-scoured to Hunter specifications for firmness (and it WILL be scoured in its current dimensions) then you're likely to go a very long way, likely in a very unarrestable way if you hit the deck on it with speed.

Wait.....they had cleared two new glazed areas and now they are closing them?

This project doesn’t seem very thought out. Wow.

Thread Information