Hunter Mtn Expansion Details - Page 71

AlpineZone

Page 71 of 78 FirstFirst ... 21616970717273 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by slatham View Post
    Ski mag has an article on Hunter North and the controversies thereof. I wasn't fully aware of the injuries and deaths last winter on the new trails.
    I thought it was covered pretty well on this forum last year, but I'd still be curious to read what they had to say. Is the article online or just in the physical magazine?

Since this is a thread about Hunter, I thought I'd bring up two points. Ever since the Zephyr Express was installed, it appears that both Annapurna and Westway haven't been open a lot. It seemed as though Peak just didn't want to make snow on them anymore. As a result of this, the area isn't nearly as popular as it should be. Another point is the Highlands area of the mountain. It hasn't been open in years, and the lift that serves it is in quite rough shape. Racing used to occur on this trail, but it has since been moved. I wonder if Vail will ever install a new lift or refurbish the current one to get that area open again. It seems like a nice little area, but not exactly practical to have open. I could see an Epic Mix racecourse on this trail, but that would most likely be off of the B Quad. Maybe private racing could be held on Highlands and the lift could be for racers only? I'm curious to see what Vail does with these two areas during this coming ski season.

Quote Originally Posted by Slidebrook87 View Post
    Maybe private racing could be held on Highlands and the lift could be for racers only? I'm curious to see what Vail does with these two areas during this coming ski season.
    The only skiers I ever see on the Highlands in recent seasons were racers. I think it's used for training/racing a bit, not much?
    As long as we're talking about small favors on that side of the hill, I hope Vail finds it in them to drop the rope on Central Park this year, too. Peak completely forgot about it/ignored it the last couple years. For a place that should take all the intermediate trails it can get...
    I agree with you about Anna and Westway.

Ski mag has an article on Hunter North and the controversies thereof. I wasn't fully aware of the injuries and deaths last winter on the new trails.
    They don't blame the mountain either..

Hope they focus on maintenance..seems like peaks did not..a broken driveshaft is a pretty seriouse issue..preventative maintenance is always better than reactive ...
    Then get something going with the west side...
    Lets go!
    I'll drive.

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter...
    Quote Originally Posted by kingslug View Post
    Hope they focus on maintenance..seems like peaks did not..a broken driveshaft is a pretty seriouse issue..preventative maintenance is always better than reactive ...
    Then get something going with the west side...
    I really dont think it was a broken driveshaft. If that was the case, we would have been evacuated. I was on the lift right before it was emptied. Was done too quickly for mechanical. MIght be a Power Board issue. That was the issue last time.

Guaranteed source of info...
    But it doesnt matter..vail needs to check everything out.
    Lets go!
    I'll drive.

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter...
    Quote Originally Posted by kingslug View Post
    Guaranteed source of info...
    But it doesnt matter..vail needs to check everything out.
    Then I guess I was lucky. Yeah, Peak ran on a shoestring budget....

According to Win, one of the majority owners was the Sackler family. They were extremely controversial for their creation of OxyContin. May explain part of why Peak failed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They actually do journalism still?

Thread Information