Hunter Mtn Expansion Details - Page 50

AlpineZone

Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 40484950
    Quote Originally Posted by Smellytele View Post
    Were you skiing with a Minecraft character?

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Quote Originally Posted by legalskier View Post
    When I skied Twilight for the first time on Monday afternoon I was surprised how steep the pitch is there- imho many other areas would rate it a double black. There also wasn't much traffic so it was enjoyable. However when I skied its neighbor Overlook there were quite a few riders who were just pointing their boards straight down the middle leaving me in the dust. The surface was fast so it was concerning to watch- I kept thinking it's a good thing that the trail is so wide. I stayed to the side and gladly gave up the middle ground.

I skied Overlook for the first time past monday, with condition being hardpacked. It has a decent pitch, and long enough that you can't think that you can just ski it down to the runout if it starts getting a little fast for you. Although I still kind of just bombed down that trail, just making sure I knew where the whales (more like porpoises) were in the overcast day. The only concern I had were what seems like a wide trough that is not visible in the overcast light, going across where the runoff starts, so if one weren't careful, you can go into a compression and not make it out of the trough upright. App shows speed of around 70mph. Twilight was ungroomed and crusty, so I didn't do much on it.

Next day, Overlook became ungroomed, crusty, with accumulation of snow on top, so I sped down maybe once and when the legs were getting tired, just old-schooled down. Twilight was groomed this time, so took some bombing runs. This being my second time around on this trail, it seems much shorter than last time, the steep pitch was over before I knew it. Maybe it wasn't crusty hard like the last time (although visibility, with the snowfall, was much worse). Ski app showed consistent runs in the 70mph range. I didn't think it would be faster on the shorter Twilight, but maybe it was the strong wind that was coming from the south.

Not sure if it is a new hunter policy, but I've noticed they seem to do alternate day grooming of secondary trails. on monday, overlook, cliff, racers, were groomed, and twilight, was not. On tuesday, it was the reverse. ike was groomed/ungroomed also, but forgot the days. I use to remember those are the trails they groom daily (except maybe for racers....and maybe sometimes cliff). Is this the Peak policy now? especially with more trails to groom? Those trails are not that a big deal for me, but one wrong turn w/the wife, a 3 min run turns into a 7 min one.
    Last edited by da-bum; Feb 13, 2019 at 7:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by da-bum View Post
    Twilight was groomed this time, so took some bombing runs. Second time around, trail seems much shorter, it was over before I knew it. Maybe it wasn't crusty hard like the last time (although visibility, with the snowfall, was much worse). Ski app showed consistent runs in the 70mph range.
    Sounds like the big rollers that were at the bottom last week got knocked down? My impression was they were there to slow ppl down as they approached the lift.
    If it's snowin' I'm goin'

Quote Originally Posted by legalskier View Post
    Sounds like the big rollers that were at the bottom last week got knocked down? My impression was they were there to slow ppl down as they approached the lift.
    I think they were still there. I presume the ones near the lifts are service roads that runs across the trail.

They just line up with the snow guns

Quote Originally Posted by da-bum View Post
    I think they were still there. I presume the ones near the lifts are service roads that runs across the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by 180 View Post
    They just line up with the snow guns
    Those are the ones that form whales under the guns, but the last 2 on Twilights seems to be the whole width of the trail, so they are either service roads or are plowed that way so everybody has to go through it.

Thread Information