• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Numbness from Sprained Ankle -- Should I Be Worried??

koolx

I was snowboarding and I sprained my angle 5 daysd ago. An xray shows a bone was broken. But not the bone responsible for standing me up, thank god. But I it hurts when I stand or walk. I got crutches and a cam boot.

Anyway I've been swollen for 5 days now. Its puffy and theres some numbness and the skin on the ankle has a red patch about an inch squared. And the whole upper part of the foot is also swollen, has a tinge of bluish color and is numbish but not completely numb. This is what worries me. Is this numbness normal? Will I lose my foot??? What can i do?

Jully

There is 0 chance you'll lose your foot. Swelling is normal this long after you've broken something. See your doctor with additional concerns.

koolx

There is 0 chance you'll lose your foot. Swelling is normal this long after you've broken something. See your doctor with additional concerns.

Appreciate the reply. Good knowing there are smart people here. Thanks man

LONGBOARDR

Appreciate the reply. Good knowing there are smart people here. Thanks man

This post is after the fact but hopefully informational.

There is a condition called compartment syndrome which may occur after a fracture of the lower leg or foot.
Symptoms are similar to what was described. It can be extremely serious with lasting damage.
NSP medical training covers it but have never seen it in an on hill emergency

Hope this helps and heal up for winter.