• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What has happened to Alpine Zone?

cdskier

So I'm guessing that Nick didn't fix http://forums.skimrv.com yet. None of the 16-17 posts show up...

Nope...still broken. He probably never saw my response to his post above about what was actually wrong. It seems he just saw the forum was "up" but didn't try to open any threads (otherwise I'd have to assume he'd see the same database error issue everyone else sees).

Jcb890

I am decidedly in that younger generation and do NOT want to use FB for that. People on FB are incredibly annoying. The completely open format leads to that. Having an intelligent ski community is something I've found unique to ski forums only (and only certain forums at that...).

Reddit is another platform that the younger generation uses, but I hate its interface and the skiing discussions aren't great.
I'm not sure if I fall into this demographic or not as I turn 33 this December, but I don't like FB discussion groups or Reddit either.

bdfreetuna

Reddit is only good for T_D

Message boards remain a desirable platform, the only problem really is growing the user base. Reddit has both lowered people's standards but also moved us towards the concept of a universal topic platform.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
How much money can a website like this make? And doesn't everyone use ad-blockers anyway?

No idea how much it makes now with ad blockers, but Greg tried to sell the place to me and at the time the revenue he claimed, was real money.

Greg told me the formula was 4 x One Season's Ad revenue = selling price. He made it sound like it was an established formula.

VTKilarney

No idea how much it makes now with ad blockers, but Greg tried to sell the place to me and at the time the revenue he claimed, was real money.

Greg told me the formula was 4 x One Season's Ad revenue = selling price. He made it sound like it was an established formula.

That surprises me. It just goes to show how naive I am when it comes to internet commerce. I would have guessed that this website was a glorified hobby and that the revenues weren't a whole lot more than expenses.

yeggous

That surprises me. It just goes to show how naive I am when it comes to internet commerce. I would have guessed that this website was a glorified hobby and that the revenues weren't a whole lot more than expenses.

It all depends how much you invest back into the site. If you invest zero then I can see making a profit. So far I have yet to break even at Northeast Mountain Sports, but I keep spending on new things. It is sustainable until the wife sees the bills.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

benski

It all depends how much you invest back into the site. If you invest zero then I can see making a profit. So far I have yet to break even at Northeast Mountain Sports, but I keep spending on new things. It is sustainable until the wife sees the bills.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Hope you make some money during the winter.