• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Who will open First?

First to Open?

• Loveland

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Arapahoe Basin

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • Mammoth

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Killington

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • Sunday River

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Some random ski area I've barely heard of

Votes: 7 18.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jully

Killington will be putting the majority of it's snowmaking on Superstar, which won't be open until after Thanksgiving weekend. Go somewhere else, it's going to suck.

I see, the classic "Killington sucks, don't go there." Everyone knows you're the biggest K homer on Kzone and across the internet, you obviously think Killington will crush it this weekend.

KustyTheKlown

to ski or to not ski, that is the question
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of the north ridge triple,
Or to take arms against a Sea of Jerrys,
And by opposing end them: to schuss, to ski

Last edited:

FBGM

Illy killy sprinkler system full blast. Boyz and me hit 95 north passing up the Mecca of Hunta since peak resorts no make snow there. Crew rolling deep with addidas track jackets. Will be at bar at noon for shots. Jello and bombs. Chilly Willy out to get yo girl.

Glenn

Mods, can we get an IP check? This has to be a ghost of a past AZer...

Highway Star

I see, the classic "Killington sucks, don't go there." Everyone knows you're the biggest K homer on Kzone and across the internet, you obviously think Killington will crush it this weekend.

No.....? Killington is run by a bunch of incompetent clowns. Seriously, go elsewhere.

Jully

So Sunday River hasn't announced an actual date yet? Would've assumed they would've committed to a date by now.

I agree its odd. I wonder that since they lost the first to open crown to K, they are just going to hold off until Saturday or maybe Friday and open TTB. Then again I do not know what the snow situation on upper Locke - Midstation looks like, maybe tomorrow is not possible.

jimmywilson69

They've said before the weekend, so I'm guessing Friday. As you said they didn't get the first to open, so why bother especially since they are so far away from a larger population.

Jully

Does this REALLY fool anyone?

I've always wondered about this, the whole east coast "first to open" thing seems ridiculous to me.

I think it may influence a lot of people. Many people believe early season snow and snowmaking strongly influence ski conditions in February (at least many people who I know), so it is understandable for those same people to be fooled by the first to open title meaning something.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Does this REALLY fool anyone?

I've always wondered about this, the whole east coast "first to open" thing seems ridiculous to me.
Many years there's a story in one to several local New England newspapers about ski season starting if not also a TV news segment.

The place that opens second doesn't get that. I have no idea what the marketing value is for that, but it has to be worth something

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

Jcb890

Do you guys think Mt. Snow will be crowded this weekend? I have never gone out opening weekend, so not sure what to expect.