• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Where is the STEEPEST GROOMER in the east?

machski

Agreed. Upper Gondiline and Nitro at Sugarloaf are up there too. Nitro is mad short though.
Agree with these. In the rare event lower Ovation gets groomed at K, that is up there. Believe it or not, Loon has a good one (well 2 actually) with Angel Street and Ripsaw on South. Both are routinely groomed, start at South and enjoy ripping Ripsaw for a good hour on perfect carpet, even weekends, first thing. Vortex at Sunday River is often groomed and is fun though straight.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
While certainly not the steepest, if you want constant steep pitch the front side of Jiminy Peak is nice.

One of these at Killington will usually get groomed- Outer Limits, Ovation, or Big Dipper. All in addition to Cascade which is groomed regularly.

skiberg

How about Avalanche at Cannon. Got to have one of the longest steepest continuous fall lines.

urungus

One of these at Killington will usually get groomed- Outer Limits, Ovation, or Big Dipper. All in addition to Cascade which is groomed regularly.

Isn’t Big Dipper a gladed run? Not sure how often it gets groomed, LOL. Do you mean Double Dipper ?

Last edited:

skiberg

The only reasonable way to consider this is an actual trail of some distance and not just a short steep shot on a particular trail. Granted, I am not interested in debating what that means, but I think we can all get the picture. In other words, White Heat does not count. One steep section, the rest of length of trail is blue/black.

MadPatSki

Website
madpatski.wordpress.com
Off the top of my head.

White Nitro at Sugarloaf is one of the steepest groomed run I've skied.

Others in that category in no particular order:

Super S at Mt Ste. Anne
La Charlevoix at Le Massif
Upper Vertige (when groomed) at Tremblant
Lower Ovation at Killington
Rumor (when groomed) at Gore
Upper Skyward and Niagara pitch at Whiteface
Upper FIS at Smuggs
Upper Avalanche at Cannon
White Heat and Vortex (when groomed) at Sunday River
Top of CanAm at Jay

Jully

This webpage quantifies it a bit. The east is actually fairly impressively represented in terms of steeps.

Even mighty Plattekill makes the "longest steeps" list with an entry and a "virtually entire length" footnote.

http://www.skibum.net/do-it-up/comparing-steepness-of-ski-trails/

Interesting site. I think the creator might be an eastern skier. He doesn't claim to have a complete list, just the popular trails. I feel like the west should far out number the east, except for a few high profile eastern trails.

I never thought of Cannon's Front 5 as that steep (at least compared to other trails in ME and VT), but this has Avalanche at 31 degrees, same as Gondi Extension at SL for 500'. It must just be the pucker factor that you get standing at SL versus looking into Echo Lake at Cannon.

Loon isn't on the list at all too. Might have been made before their south peak expansion (the website looks old) or Ripsaw/the east basin trails don't have the same sustained pitch.

Also, Purna at Hunter isn't listed, but Westway is. Is this reasonable, Hunter people? I've never been so I can't comment.

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..
Interesting site. I think the creator might be an eastern skier. He doesn't claim to have a complete list, just the popular trails. I feel like the west should far out number the east, except for a few high profile eastern trails.

I never thought of Cannon's Front 5 as that steep (at least compared to other trails in ME and VT), but this has Avalanche at 31 degrees, same as Gondi Extension at SL for 500'. It must just be the pucker factor that you get standing at SL versus looking into Echo Lake at Cannon.

Loon isn't on the list at all too. Might have been made before their south peak expansion (the website looks old) or Ripsaw/the east basin trails don't have the same sustained pitch.

Also, Purna at Hunter isn't listed, but Westway is. Is this reasonable, Hunter people? I've never been so I can't comment.

They both are steep, but I have only seen Westway groomed once.

ceo

If you've a need for speed, then how steep or well-groomed it is can't be the only criterion. I wouldn't recommend straightlining White Nitro if you're fond of all of your limbs, for instance.

On the other hand, Avalanche is longer, nearly as steep and has a nice long runout, so you can pull some serious velocity, depending from how high up you're brave enough to point'em straight down. (Start high enough and you can get all the way to the tram without poling.)

Jully

If you've a need for speed, then how steep or well-groomed it is can't be the only criterion. I wouldn't recommend straightlining White Nitro if you're fond of all of your limbs, for instance.

On the other hand, Avalanche is longer, nearly as steep and has a nice long runout, so you can pull some serious velocity, depending from how high up you're brave enough to point'em straight down. (Start high enough and you can get all the way to the tram without poling.)

Definitely the vast majority of these trails should not be straightlined haha.

I saw someone try to straightline White Heat at SR last winter. They made it past the headwall (after almost colliding with me) and then launched off one of the rollers near the bottom right after the intersection of Little White Cap. They went about 50 feet forward into the next roller. I was appalled, annoyed, and worried for the poor fool all at the same time.

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..
Definitely the vast majority of these trails should not be straightlined haha.

I saw someone try to straightline White Heat at SR last winter. They made it past the headwall (after almost colliding with me) and then launched off one of the rollers near the bottom right after the intersection of Little White Cap. They went about 50 feet forward into the next roller. I was appalled, annoyed, and worried for the poor fool all at the same time.

Evolution was at work there.....